1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on age mapping to level at school(LKG,UKG etc)

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by racr, Jan 19, 2010.

1. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,
    I have recently admitted my daughter to a school which seems to be pretty flexible regarding minimum age for entry into LKG and UKG.They have students as young as 3 in LKG and age 4 in UKG.My D is going to be 4 soon,but I have still decided to place her in LKG,as the amount that she needs to know to get into UKG is mindboggling.
    I doubt whether even a 5 year old can assimilate so much..and my question is what is the need for a 3+ kid to know by rote 1-100,write upper case and Lower case, 3 letter words,hindi vowels etc..
    I think I have made the right decision in placing my child in LKG,even though I was given the option of placing her in UKG.Even if she had learnt some of this in her playschool,this is too much for her to take..and for me too!!
    I thought the govt has made it mandatory that min age for grade 1 is 5 yrs 10 mnths..but all states/schools dont seem to be following that ruling.FOr me ,its ok if my child enters grade 1 at 6.What do u ladies think?

2. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

hi,
    my ds joined LKG when he was 4 1/2(as he was dec born and the cut off for LKG here was 4years as of sep 1),so he had to wait for a whole year,,but to be honest i dont have any regrets for that,as i feel that he is learning in a pressure free environment and learning things quicker and easier,,even if i would have had the option of joining him in UKG ,i wouldnt have done that,,JMO..these days schools are litreally loading the kids with too much syllabus and i dont feel that productive in any way.

he will be 6 at grade 1,and i dont think so that will be an issue ..you can wait for more fb.s,,this is what i feel..

aarthi