1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on age mapping to level at school(LKG,UKG etc)

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by racr, Jan 19, 2010.

1. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,
    I have recently admitted my daughter to a school which seems to be pretty flexible regarding minimum age for entry into LKG and UKG.They have students as young as 3 in LKG and age 4 in UKG.My D is going to be 4 soon,but I have still decided to place her in LKG,as the amount that she needs to know to get into UKG is mindboggling.
    I doubt whether even a 5 year old can assimilate so much..and my question is what is the need for a 3+ kid to know by rote 1-100,write upper case and Lower case, 3 letter words,hindi vowels etc..
    I think I have made the right decision in placing my child in LKG,even though I was given the option of placing her in UKG.Even if she had learnt some of this in her playschool,this is too much for her to take..and for me too!!
    I thought the govt has made it mandatory that min age for grade 1 is 5 yrs 10 mnths..but all states/schools dont seem to be following that ruling.FOr me ,its ok if my child enters grade 1 at 6.What do u ladies think?

2. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

hi,
    my ds joined LKG when he was 4 1/2(as he was dec born and the cut off for LKG here was 4years as of sep 1),so he had to wait for a whole year,,but to be honest i dont have any regrets for that,as i feel that he is learning in a pressure free environment and learning things quicker and easier,,even if i would have had the option of joining him in UKG ,i wouldnt have done that,,JMO..these days schools are litreally loading the kids with too much syllabus and i dont feel that productive in any way.

he will be 6 at grade 1,and i dont think so that will be an issue ..you can wait for more fb.s,,this is what i feel..

aarthi