1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adult Foods For 7 Month Old Baby?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Suja9, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Suja9

Suja9 Silver IL'ite

Hello All. This is my first thread in IL. I was mentioning about my 3.9 year old DD not eating spicy food (sometimes she says even Rasam is spicy :BangHead: ) to my friend. She has 2 sons- 10 and 8 year old. For both, she said she had exclusively fed herself for first 6 months.. then on she gave them what has been prepared at home that all other adult members eat- even egg, mutton, fish gravy prepared at home. She says they have never said no to any food/ wasted food/ throw tantrums to eat certain foods.

Till 3 yrs she was on a special diet- Dal mixed rice, fruits boiled.. every food she ate was without spiciness. Is it because of that she isn't eating even veg gravy now? Please provide your valuable comments Dear IL's.

2. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    That could also be a reason but giving such spicy food for 6 month old doesn't seem to be right IMO.Each kid is unique..not all kids start eating the same way.so don't try to relate with your friend's kids.I too fed my son for first 6 months without any supplement food.I was giving special food for first 1 year as you have mentioned but slowly started adding little spices like little pepper to egg,chutney with a pinch of chilli or add more water to our regular chutney.Now he is 5 year old he eats less spicy food.He can not tolerate even a little more spicy food. I have always been trying to add little more spice to the food but he can not eat it.Though I introduced spice since he was 1 year I couldn't do anything about it till now.So don't panic just start adding. Hope they get used to spicy food as they grow up.:beer-toast1:

guesshoo and Suja9 like this.
  3. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

At 6 months, giving what we eat is not recommended. No salt or sugar until 1 year. At around 13 months you can slowly start giving food that we eat with little bit of spice. How is your LO taking solids like idli, dosa, rice, roti? Does she like to chew?
    I ask this as you mentioned that until 3 years you fed her pureed food. IMO, that too long to give mushy, tasteless, food. That could be the reason your LO avoiding or not wanting to eat adult food.

Suja9 likes this.
  4. Suja9

Suja9 Silver IL'ite

She eats plain Idli, Dosa without any chutney.. she chews food. But I have to repeat it often while she eats

5. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I gave the normal adult food starting from 6 months without any salt/chillies... Used to take a portion of food we prepared then added salt/spiciness for the family. I suggest start giving the family food may be she'll resist for few days post which she will adjust.

preesmiles, guesshoo and Suja9 like this.
  6. lalsang123

lalsang123 Bronze IL'ite

I used to give boiled vegetables with no salt and spices but then he did not have much interest in eating.. It was really difficult to make my son eat.. My pediatrician said u can add little of salt and spices.. Then he started liking it... This was when he was 2 years old.. But now he is 3 years 11 months and he eats all foods whatever we eat (with the same amount of salt and spices which we add for ourselves).. Of course during this time kids expect different types of food with different tastes.. While giving dosa or idli don't mash it with your hand and give.. You just take a piece of dosa and put it Inside her mouth so that she is forced to chew.. Try giving her items that she likes and that needs to be compulsorily chewed.. When she starts chewing the items she likes then she starts to chew the other things also automatically..

Suja9 likes this.
  7. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

I did exactly what blackbeauty84 did with my son as well. Right from 6 months when he started solids, he ate what the family ate. I just took aside a portion of dal or soft cooked veggies for him before adding the salt and chilly but it did have all the other spices like cumin, turmeric etc. He didn't have any teeth until he was a year old so at that time he would only suck at the non veg stuff and would spit it out after. But I let him try pretty much everything. Now at age 2, he is a pretty good eater and is willing to try unfamiliar stuff as well.
    But its not too late for your daughter. I was a fussy eater as a child and it was only after I was age 10 or so that I would eat spicy food. My sis in law's daughter would also never eat spicy food when she was younger but at about 9 or 10 she has started enjoying well spiced food. The trick is to start slowly, maybe with her favorite foods and to keep at it, though without forcing your child.

Suja9 likes this.