1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adoption

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by Shamala, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Shamala

Shamala New IL'ite

Requesting adoption information

I would like to get some information on how to go about adopting a child from India? any information, suggestions and tips will help. Thanks a lot.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hello Shamala,

I can share some info that I have. The rules and procedures are different if
    1) you live in India and wish to adopt a child of Indian origin
    2) if you live abroad and adopt a child of Indian origin.

If it is the second case, you should get multiple clearances (legal, immigration, medical, financial, Family Survey reports) both from the foreign country and India. It will take longer.

If you live in India, one way is to register in the Voluntary Coordinating Agency for Child Adoption. These are government regulated bodies. They also check the parents thoroughly. Takes a year or more to bring your baby home.

Another way, is to approach a good lawyer and ask them to do the process. You can get your preferences-like male,female ,other specifications etc. Faster than VCA,is legal too. But finding the lawyer takes time.

Hospitals (usually private maternity clinics) also offer babies for adoption. One can get a baby in a week.

THIS IS ILLEGAL.

They will regsiter the adoptive parents as natural parents in the birth certificate. Once done so, one can have no legal solutions if something goes wrong.

Hope I have been of some help.

regards
    Vidya

3. Shamala

Shamala New IL'ite

Thanks

Hey Vidya,
    I live in US. I should have made that point clear. But thanks for the info. Good start.

4. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Hi!

I need help with regards to adoption.

My sister could not conceive despite being medically fit, repeated attempts at IVF also failed. She is now considering on adopting a child from <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> ( she’s a <st1:country-region><st1:place>US</st1:place></st1:country-region> citizen).

I would be really grateful if someone can give me more info about adoption/ inter country adoption, procedures, etc.

If there’s anyone in IL who has been thru the process of adoption or if there’s someone whom you know who’s adopted a child……..i’d appreciate if u can share your/their experience with me.

My sister is going through a very tough phase emotionally & I want to be of any help possible. So, i’m looking up to all my friends at IL for your help & guidance.

Looking forward to your responses. You can also PM me.

Thanks,

Ragini.

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear ragini,
    though adoption is a great thing to do, there are a lot of agencies in india who are ready to surrogate for the child for the childless u can try some of them, pl do pm me i will give u my daughter chitra's id there where u can contact and take help, she had done a lot of study in that subject and so is aware of the cost and ladies and so on.....regards sunkan

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear ragini,

There are lot of formalities both in surrogancy and adoption. if you are aware, there was a news about a mother being the surrogate for her daughter. but the baby was not allowed to be taken to uk. so in all aspects, find out what are the rules that bind you.

this is an link which gives you all the necessary details for adoption from india. you can have an idea. please be cautious in choosing an agency.
    adoption is becoming an business in india.

http://www.serve.com/ichild/direct.htm

All the best to you and your sister.
    love
    shanthi.

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    The Shivananda Gurukulam in Kattankulathur, near Chennai is helping in adoption, I have heard. It is also featured in the Tamil film Rhythm and also serial Kai alavu manasu. You could contact them. I shall look up the address and get back.

8. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Hi Shamala,

Adoption is very noble deed. My hats off to you for considering that option. I do not know any info on that first hand. But I think almost all orphanages in India will do that.
    Will let you know if i find something.

Regards,
    Jothi.

9. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Hi Rajini,

Sorry that you sister is going through a tough time. I applaud her for cosidering adoption..
    Regards,
    Jothi.

10. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Dear Sunkan, Shanthi, Varelekshmy & Jothi,

Thanks a ton for your responses. It's so comforting to have all your support.

Sunkan,

Thanks for the the suggestion & info.....I'm not sure if that will be feasible for my sister as she lives & works in the US & also because of it's legal implications.

Shanthi,

yeah....u had a valid point there, it's imp to look for a genuine agency. Thanks for the link.....will check it out.

Varelekshmy & Jothi,

Thanks for the help & support. I'm overwhelmed.

Regards,

Ragini.