Adda Da Hangout!

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by justanothergirl, Dec 1, 2016.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Truly egregious of fences in an online forum...examples?

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Selling quack cures, advertising (fake degrees for example, or proxy paper-writing) ... I've reported those. In general, blah, blah - case-by-case I'd say.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  3. justanothergirl

I am pretty sure by now u know where I am going with this. We each have our threshold of tolerance SN. A fake certificate might be urs ...calling a child retarded might be mine. Who is to say which is acceptable and which is not?
    I do not know what happened with sandy candy and if she was indeed banned. I would wait for admin to actually respond.

4. sokanasanah

I don't know who did that, but varying thresholds are precisely my point. Banning quickly devolves into a lowest common denominator of being offended. If someone calls a child 'retarded', then that reveals something about that person. That should suffice. If they gave offense unintentionally or in a heated moment, then they should have a chance to apologize and walk it back.
    We don't have to. Definitely not for everyone. I say, do it like so many sites do. Flag a post as "potentially offensive", hide it from view, unless a reader clicks on it*, at their own risk. Quarantine them. I'm not saying you should not be offended by this or that. Just don't be offended on my behalf or take steps to spare me the labor of making my own judgements.

PS: Thought-experiment: Then publish stats on how many people actually clicked on quarantined posts to check them out, even at the risk of being offended.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  5. justanothergirl

Banning does not happen easily on IL. Many warnings are given before a step like that is taken. I am certain of it. The user was Nonya. The issue is about lack of sensitivity and judgement. Not all threads are for ur personal amusement at someone elses expense was a message that she refused to understand.
    We do not know that. We do not know what happened. And as for what so many other sites do ..there is a reason the only online forum I visit is IL. The community. The kind of women it hosts. The moment u make it like "all the other sites" ...all these women will disappear too and I will hv zero motivation to stop by.

Mistt, Gauri03, Ragini25 and 3 others like this.
  6. sokanasanah

Possible, and that's good. I'm more interested in what is found offensive - not the mere act of declaring something offensive and sending warnings.
    JAG. Dude. IL is already like "all the other sites" in that it's an online forum built on today's web technology. Get it? It's like all the other sites in some ways and not in others. I'm not proposing that it devolve into trash. Maybe women will disappear, but I doubt it. They will simply stay away from some threads, just as they already do - it's mostly a question of who withdraws, how, and to where. I have been on IL for a while now, as have you. I have come across a number of flat-out stupid posts, but almost none that I consider ban-worthy. I say a little cooling off period, a short stint in a reeducation camp and the you can try to reinvent yourslef again into a New! Improved! IL persona.

sindmani and vaidehi71 like this.
  7. justanothergirl

..yes and there are other members who are interested in other things. Its a conscious choice made by the administrators/product management group of any website when they promote certain interests which closely perhaps align with their agenda.
    No..not all women will disappear...a few who matter to me most likely will...and its for those that I come. For the rest I can go anywhere was the point I am trying to make.

Ragini25 and kaniths like this.
  8. sokanasanah

I wouldn't avoid a site with dozens that I like, for that one person who drives me crazy.
    I allow myself one quarrel with a person. If that does not meet my necessarily idiosyncratic vision of fruitful engagement, then I avoid that person, without asking that they be banned.
    When America is great again, the law will apply to you as well.:mad:
    :beer-toast1:

vaidehi71 likes this.
  9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

I don’t mean to interrupt or intervene between the 2 of you. I have great respect for both of you.

But just a question for JAG, do those special women that you come here for avoid the world because it has a subsection that they don’t like or hate being around with? Also, are we saying they are so intolerant they would rather leave the site which has 100s they love but a few that they don’t necessarily like or love the topics they discuss?

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  10. justanothergirl

Thats u SN. It would indeed be a boring world with 9 billion of ur clones no?
    We each have a choice about spending our time in a forum that best suits us.
    We seem to be talking about many things all at once .
    1) posts being deleted 2) warnings 3) folks being banned.
    Lets start with 1)
    When a post is hurtful / insensitive/in appropriate ( after a flag by a member or otherwise) and is deemed so by the admins after review ..I am ok with it being removed. I understand u differ here U think it can stay in some form of quarantine .Some posts in my opinion have no place to stay. I have no interest in the thickening of either my own skin or that of my fellow women.
    2) Warnings (public /private). Each site /company/community has a set of guidelines. So does IL. When a member goes against them a warning is sent. It might not be something u and I concur with . Should each of those transgressions/ the whys and hows be made public .Not required IMHO.
    Its best handled discreetly just as it is in the real world.
    3) Should repeated warnings result in banning. Depends. I have been long enough in IL and have come to respect the calls made even when they are not to my liking.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Mistt, Shanvy, kaniths and 3 others like this.