Accounting

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by chatkara_tasty, Mar 22, 2007.

1. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

You have seen a nice shirt at The Bay , worth $97.00

You don’t have money, you borrowed $50 from your wife and $50 from your girl friend. How much is your money now? (Answer: $100.00, correct?)

You buy the shirt, how much is your change? (answer: $3.00)

You return $ 1.00 to your wife, how much more you owe your wife? (answer: $49.00)

You return $1.00 to your girlfriend, How much more you owe your girlfriend? (answer: $49.00)

The remaining $ 1.00 is with you, correct?

Now, this is the computation : $49(you owe your wife) + $49(you owe your girlfriend)? (ans. Dhs. 98.00)+ $1.00 with you? (ans. $99.00),

WHERE IS THE OTHER $1.00 ?

Now, another computation :

$ 49(you owe your wife) + $1.00 the one you returned to her, equals: $50.00, Correct?

$ 49(you owe your girlfriend) + $1.00 the one you returned to her, equals: $50.00, correct?

$50.00 + $50.00 (ans. $100.00 ) plus $1.00 you keep with you, (ans. $101.00)

HOW HAS IT BECOME MORE ?

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Good One Heena, But Accountants Are Beyond that!

Dear Heena,

Forgive me, I am just a mofussil accountant. But when I did the accounts in the normal, traditional way, all the current questions and future questions are answered. Let me explain

When I start: All balances are 0.

After I buy the shirt and return 1 $ each to my wife and my girl friend the balances are:

A) Assets - What I Own

Shirt (asset) debit $ 97
    Cash Balance debit $ 1

Total $ 98

B) Liabilities (What I Owe)

Wife (loan) credit $ 49
    GF (loan) credit $ 49

Total $ 98

Assets and Liabilities total 98$ each and the balance sheet tallies.

The confusion you have pointed out occurs because you have added up the liabilities (loans from wife and GF) with an asset (cash balance) of 1$.

Just have the above balance sheet in your hand, Heena. No one can confuse you.

By the way if you have contacts of girl friends who can lend 50 $ to a man to buy a shirt, please let me know.

regards,
    sridhar

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  3. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

haa haa haa sridhar sir this is just a joke to enjoy and not my creation just a forward . pls don't take it seriously .

p.s - by the way ur very good accountant . i am sure indu won't be able to do any HERA-FERI in home accounts .hee hee like me :mrgreen:

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

I was confused by Heena.Now thanks to Varalotti, I am confounded.

BTW, Varalotti, the word 'mofussil'- -------:evil: :cry:

5. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi heena,

why should i keep the $ 1 with me when it does not belong to me. i borrowed the whole amount so i also owe the remaining $ 1 with me.

returning $1.50 to wife - ($50 - $1.50) = $ 48.50
    returning $1.50 to GF - ($50 - $1.50) = $ 48.50
    -------- -----------
    $ 3 $ 97

Total $ 100

ordinary school mathematics. why confuse others. (me too for a joke)

Vanaja

6. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ladies,

Sorry, first I posted the rough balance sheet as if I were making a presentation in an Accountants Seminar.

Now I have edited my post to make things clear.

Vidya let me now hope that your confusion is gone and you are no longer confounded. If you are still confused pray God that you should be born an accountant in your next birth. Or at least married to one. (But my daughter and wife say in chorus never have anything to do with an accountant, either as a husband, or as a father or even as a neighbour.)

Dear Srinivasan-Vanaja,

Did not see you for a long time in my threads and discussions. Hope you are not in any way upset with me.

Now regarding your accounts/arithmetics, my suggestion is that we should present the transaction as such. If the husband has to return the remaining 1 $ and that too at 50 cents each to his wife and girlfriend to understand the situation, well may God save that fellow.

But I should give it to you, you went straight into the core of the problem without confounding others with the accountants lingo.

Hope to see you soon in some serious discussion.

Regards,
    sridhar

7. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Hello Sir,

Yes I admit that for a long period of time I have not been in any of the forum discussions. I will try my best to be regular hereafter.

I have started new threads on Ramayana, and have discussed and shared the intricacies present in great epic. If you find time, pl go through the thread under Indian Stories.

regards,

Vanaja

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

I have come across this accounting puzzle before...it is a real mind boggler. Thanks to our resident accountant and maths genies like Vanaja, we will sure solve all problems here:)

L, Kamla