about relocation to sydney from singapore

Discussion in 'Indians in Sydney' started by geetu.tewari, Sep 1, 2011.

1. geetu.tewari

geetu.tewari New IL'ite

Hi friends,

I am a indian living in singapore.Me and my husband and a 5 year old son are looking to relocate to australia.My husband is very keen and interested in this relocation, but i had certain doubts.Please, friend out there in sydney, could you please throw some light on this -
    1] HOw much would be the rental expenses in sydney, if I chose to rent a 2room flat/unit, keeping in mind that my hubbys office is in pyrmont.
    2] how much would be the school expenses, as my child is in kindergarten.
    3] how much would be the monthly grocery bills taking 3 family members into account.
    4] Other costs of living like electricity bill, cable tv bill, internet charges.

In short can anyone please provide a breakup of monthly expenditure(on a higher side), not detailed just a summary sort will do.
    Plz also share ur views regarding -
    1] How safe it is for people from indian origin.
    2] I have heard that mainly there are individual houses, unlike a society or block like which we have in india or singapore,so no common play area, so children generally don't get friends other than there school friends.Is this scenario correct?
    I am keen on this question as my son is more social kind of person and likes to be with friends.
    3] Which area in and around sydney had a majority of indian population?

Any advice/comment will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot

2. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

1. This is a link for a quick search of 2 bedrooms rentals in pyrmont
    http://www.domain.com.au/Search/ren...bs=1&bedrooms=2&searchterm=pyrmont&displmap=0
    2. It depends of what school, public schools charge $100 for a year, and you would but stationaries , uniform etc
    3. Groceries aim to spend 300/week
    4. Electricity 100-200 month, internet 80-150 depending on your needs/month, cable tv i think its around 40 /month, but normal tv here is very good as well

- Its as safe for indians as it is for any other person
    - Yeah, the scenario is generally correct for some surburbs, but in places liek harris park, paramatta, homebush, strathfield that might not be the case. In these surburbs i have seen indian kids play on the streets and parks everyday togther.

3. geetu.tewari

geetu.tewari New IL'ite

hi pink.rubies,

Thanks for sharing the info. It really helped me.

:)

4. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

Also Geetu if you go north side u will treated differently but west is mostly asians (indians ,bangladeshi etc ) suburbs lke blacktown,parramatta ,seven hills, toongabbie, wentworthville ... intian advise wuld be find accomodation near station so ur husband can go for work . living in CBD(pyrmont) is a big hassle especially for indian grocery and school. Good luck

5. vanathiram

vanathiram Bronze IL'ite

Hi BlessbabyDust,
    I too am planning on moving to Sydney with my husband and was considering the north side. Now I'm worried based on your comments. Can you kindly let me know what you meant by saying that we'll be treated differently?. We have been in the Us couple of times, but Australia is new to us. Can we assume that Australia too will be similar to US in the sense that we never felt odd or out of place anywhere in USA.

6. newsweetwaves

newsweetwaves New IL'ite

Northern side for starters is expensive for new migrants,secondly as is is predominately Australians living in the Northern suburbs they have certain living habits that us migrants are not used too. There tolerance level may vary a lot. Hope this helps.

7. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

what i meant was you be bullied indirectly by their attitude ... for example :- if you cook curry they might say thats nice but they also comment how you eat curry everyday dont you get bored ?? I cant handle curry everyday and similarly in school you will be treated indifferently .. US is better place for migrants but Australia always been in racial heights ... a lot ... why shd we need tolerance to their culture if they dont respect ours ...