1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Abhi Toh Main Jawaan Hoon (I Am Still Young)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 24, 2013.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]My evenings are very busy these days. Where I used to spend them all alone at home, I now have my mom to visit. What better person to visit than one's own mom? I remember getting a wonderful welcome whenever I used to visit home in Pune, when she lived there. She used to open the door with a smile and say "Va" (come). She now lives in a home. I open the door myself and walk into her room, but I still get the same warm welcome. "Va". Then she will proceed to inquire when I came, whether I have had my lunch. Today when I went, she was already sitting on the lawn with the other elderly people. I walked up to her. She caught sight of me walking up to her, although I did so from behind her and as I picked up a chair, she said, "come, when did you come"? After that it does not really matter whether the rest of her conversation makes sense or it doesn't. But the good news is it does - many times.

The better news is my mom is proving to be a one man entertainment company in that one single room of four people with varying degrees of dementia (the remaining unfortunately far progressed). Her care-givers have some funny stories to tell me.

The first story was the second day after she arrived. One young male care-giver came into the room and enquired how she was doing. She snapped her fingers at him and said "Nee poda ingendu" (You get out of here). The girls (her care-givers) can't stop laughing when they tell me how she snapped her fingers at him. :-D

My mom is a smart operator. She will never give away the fact that she can't remember your name. The girls keep asking her everyday who I am. (I am varyingly her daughter, her older sister, her younger sister or her mother). One day she got irritated and told her care-giver "I have already told all of you who she is". The girl told her "But you did not tell me". Mom replied "Of course, I have told everyone she is my daughter". "Isn't she your mil"? "My mil"? she retorted and gave a mocking laugh. :) (She once told me "Stop bullying me, even my mil never told me to stand aside". So I told her "I did not straighten you out when I should have, so I have come back as your daughter to straighten you out in this life".)

Today morning the psychiatrist came and asked her how she was doing. Usual style she replied that she was doing perfectly fine. (Even the day before the surgery when the doc asked her how she was the reply was "Fine thank you, how are you"? That used to be the stock reply everyday in the hospital till the doc told his assistants one day "These are good manners". LOL) So she asked Amma who the care-giver was. Mom replied that the care-giver knew who she (the care-giver) was. :rotfl. The psychiatrist asked her if she (Amma) knew what her name was. She replied "I know who she is, but she knows her own name too" and added to the care-giver, "tell her what your name is". The psychiatrist just laughed, shrugged her shoulders, said "Smart lady" and walked off.

My mom has always been very well dressed and prim and proper. She used to often refer to others as "that old lady or that old gentleman" - even people who are younger than her. I used to ask her whether she was very young. The other day the care-giver called her "Paati". Amma got very offended and told her "Paati? You are only Paati". :rotfl Today the lady next to Amma who can't hear or see and who constantly chews up all her clothes had chewed her fourth T-shirt wet. The care-giver told Amma, see this Paati is not listening. Tell her. Amma kept calling out to her "B.... Paati, B.... Paati" :rotfl The lady did not respond. Amma shook her head sadly at the care-giver. It is nice to see her trying to reach out to another person who is worse off than her. It was also extremely funny to see her calling the other lady "Paati". God is great.

Now that she is able to get up, there is a new risk. If the care-giver is not there for a single moment, she gets out of her chair and tries to walk on her own. So now she will need a new chair out of which she cannot get out so easily.

18 people like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Satchi I tell you what, after I read this,
    I can tell you that I know where you get your sense of humor from! Your mom is certainly one smart lady, to keep perspective and to reply smartly as much as she can! It is indeed heartening to see her reach out - being there for others is what makes the world go around and age like many things is relative!

Glad you are getting to spend time with aunty. Prayers and best wishes always for you and aunty!

2 people like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

She is certainly one smart cookie Sabitha. That is what I marvel at - her instinct of self preservation. No matter what she remembers or not, she knows how to keep others from knowing that she does not know or has forgotten!!!!!

Thanks for the prayers and good wishes. One can always do with plenty of them and it is those and only those that have helped her come back to this state. :-D

3 people like this.
  4. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

How sweet is that! Loads of hugs and kisses for your mom,Satchi! I echo Srama's words...yes,it is no surprise why you are what you are,having a mom like that! As I keep saying Nazar ne lage..touchwood.
    All our wishes and prayers are always with you..

1 person likes this.
  5. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow Sats....
    That's nice to know.....:thumbsup
    Amma is a fighter......with poise at that......:bowdown:bowdown
    If only by default we inherit all their good virtues.......:spin
    Wishing you many many happy moments with amma......:cheers

1 person likes this.
  6. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

This is what I wanted to say and you have said it better :)

:hatsoff smart lady indeed.

Btw, poda with snapping fingers :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  7. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi.....Humor eases most of our pain, and like Sabitha I think it runs in your genes.....This was such an endearing story reminds me of my own paati, who when in her last years had begun losing her memory but she was one smart cookie, just like your mom.
    I remember once she switched on the geyser and after showering forgot to switch it off when my dad scolded her for it....She shot back, you did it deliberately so that you could scold me. And my uncle once got her an off-white sari and she told him "give this dull, drab old lady sari to your wife!"
    Lots of love and wishes to your mom and you!

2 people like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

the seed does not fall far from the tree is so proved by your fighter mom..never give up and keep fighting until you can..satchi that is such a wonderful snippet about the spirit that keeps everything around bright..as long as inner spirit is young and active, what can anything else dent her...

love to both of you..

1 person likes this.
  9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

that was good to read, Sats. Small fun happenings in otherwise serious circumstances. Wish you many such happy evenings with your mom.so glad that she is doing better. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Now I know Satchi from where you inherited the fighting ability towards life......[​IMG]

Nice to read about your Amma and her gestures....[​IMG]

1 person likes this.