1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Aap Kya Bole, Ji?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Dec 10, 2021.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Am not so allergic to Ma'am, being a teacher. However teaching adults is a different matter. Since German has the equivalent of "tum" and "aap", the latter being formal, it is the norm that the "tum" or "aap" is mutual. It has nothing to do with age or 'respect' or lack of it. So on the first day I ask the students whether they would prefer 'tum' (du) or 'aap' (Sie) and most prefer the former. But somewhere along the way, their 'du' drops and becomes 'Sie' or "Satchi, Sie" which is an even odder combination. "Sie" would be accompanied by "Mr/ Ms. Surname".

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

It is interesting to know how your mind disapprove "Ji" and your struggle to prostate to the elders especially when you don't have that much respect for that individual. Shoba was raised with a culture to prostate to all elders and when I married her, she suggested that we both should prostate when we met elders. I am now formally inducted into the "Prostating Club".

I have been called "uncle" for a long time not by the children but by married women up to the age of 40 to 45. I gracefully accept it as I consider that they like to address me with respect. Now I am being introduced to their children as "Thatha" which initially was a shocker but no longer it is troublesome. But addressing me "Sir", makes me little uncomfortable, as it looks too formal. But even that no longer bothers me.

When in doubt about the age of anyone, I include "ji' automatically. Some of them specifically tell me to just use their name.

satchitananda likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

Good to see your response. I like the idea of someone telling me how to address them, especially if they have special requirements. As for prostrating, I'd do that to whoever I feel deep respect for, but don't like being asked to do so by someone just so s/he can bless me!!! :shakehead:

The 'ajji' is yet to come - I have not gone to Pune yet for my friend's grandkid to call me that!!! :-D It is only a matter of time! :roflmao:

Viswamitra likes this.