1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Aaavin milk for 9.5 months old?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by satin, Jan 29, 2011.

1. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

My paediatrician suggested me to give aavin milk undiluted for my baby who is 9.5 months old,he also told me to follow this schedule...

7 am - aavin undiluted milk
    8:30 am - idly or idiyappam
    11: 00 am - vegetable soup
    2:00 pm - chicken.fish with rice
    5:00 pm - aavin undiluted milk
    7:00 pm - dinner(idly)
    10:00 pm - aavin undiluted milk

When I asked when to give monther's milk he said to give sometime in the middle,is it really possible for a 9.5 months old to have so much food?even now when he wants to feed within 2 hrs of eating solid food he spits out milk after sometime.Any suggestions?

2. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Any suggestions?Anybody there giving aavin milk for babies below a year old?

3. sansmomy

sansmomy Bronze IL'ite

What is 'aavin' milk? Is it a brand for baby formula?

~S.

4. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Sorry to be specific to one state(TN),aavin is a brand of milk available in tamilnadu,owned by TN government.It is cow's milk.

5. Shrisha

Shrisha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Satin,
    Ive been giving aavin milk for both my kids from the time they reached 4 months of age. My daughter is 6 years now & son is 9 months oldSince Im working I breastfeed only during morning, night & weekends. So my son takes aavin milk once in the evening.
    The following is the diet I follow for him
    Morning - My feed ( 7 am)
    Breakfast - 9 am - Idly
    Midmorning - 11.30 am - Soup or milk (Only if he cries due to hunger. Or else I directly give him lunch around 12.30)
    12.30 - 1 pm - Rice with carrot & Toor dal or Curd rice ( U can give non spicy rasam also. But my son refuses o take rasam)
    4 pm - Hill banana or baked apple (Mashed)
    7.30 pm - One rice kanji thats homemade or Nendhran banana powder.

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i would say NO, u can either bfeed , or if u cant stick to infant formula like nestle NAN or any other.
    i am not sure why some pedis are still so old school, to suggest cows milk for babies. you can start giving whole fat milk after around 1 yr of age.Right now your baby needs the nutrients from either your milk or substituted infant formula ONLY.

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Satin

I strictly tried to stick on with BF and formula till my DD completed 1 year...but she would not drink formula ...she on the other hand was/is still sticking to BM...my PED suggested cow's milk in diluted form when my daughter completed 10 months in 1:1 ratio milk:water...in case it suits her,he asked me to slowly increase the thickness...i tried,it did suit her but she did not like(thats a different story)...my friends/relatives too tried cows milk for their LOs before 1 year completion and few of them even tried giving pediasure/junior horlicks with milk (diluted) after their baby completed 1 year and all gave me positive feedback,believe me not even a single complaint (around 10 mommies whose kids were born in the last 2 years)...

So my suggestion is in case your baby is ok with formula,try to stick on to it...if not,IMO there is nothing wrong in trying out aavin milk,maybe a diluted one(1:1) and later increase the thickness,maybe little by little every week...

and regarding the food schedule,try to understand your baby's stomach and then decide on the food...dont overfeed the baby...in IL,we have many threads about foods for infants and toddlers..letme just send the link for one such thread

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/4993-foods-9-12-month-old.html

Happy parenting!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  8. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

i gave my DD cow's milk from 8th month. and she wa/is totally fine till date. touch wood. infact, paed recoomended cow's milk from day 1. he never wanted us to gove her formula. but i gave her formula NAN until 6 months old. then switched to whole/undiluted cow's milk.

now a days at 15 months, her milk in the day is almost stopped (due to eating solids). but at nights, her 1st feed is cow's milk only. and then early morning feed i keep as formula. main reason - i cant wake up and heat milk at 3/4 am due to personal reasons

9. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Thanks for all your replies.Actually I was very very confused too,finally I started on NAN3 Pro,giving it for the past 2 days,my baby does seem to like it but has only very little quantity now,I have been BFing for 9.5 months,hope he takes more milk as he gets used to it.

10. amritavarshini

amritavarshini Bronze IL'ite

hi..its better not to give cow's milk at this age, u can start when ur baby has completed one year...and please do not give undiluted milk...cow's milk can induce allergies so better to wait..breast feeding is the best option and dont worry if ur baby is taking less quantity of milk, as long as he/she is fine with other foods there is no need to worry...my daughter who is 1 year 2 months is still on BF...i started cow's milk when last month but unfortunately she got loose motion , that happens most of the time..so her paed asked me to wait..