1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Voyage into the Unknown

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Satchi, beautifully written. I wanted to read everything, savour and then respond and finally got time. Many of your experiences reminded me of my own - the heaters, the trains, the people etc though not in England but else where in Europe! It is the same experiences that help us be better human beings I feel. I am sure you will always always help a new comer any where in the world remembering what you have gone through.

Totally agree with the conclusive points you have made.
    This is another thing I always feel too.....every culture has it's way and it is amazing to see how things work.

You know one of the favorite things I like to do while travelling especially in places where I don't understand the language - to simply sit and observe people for the same feeling you have described here -
    Just imaging what might be transpiring in their busy lives makes it all so much more human!

1 person likes this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sabitha,

Delighted to see your feedback. I really feel so happy that you have enjoyed this post thoroughly and related with all that I have written.

Yes, it is very difficult to understand how other cultures think. That is the biggest hurdle in breaking through their reserve. Even so, these days because of so much of communication and travel, there is more exposure and some basic idea of cultural dos and donts. Imagine the plight of those who left home 30-50 years ago (say in the 50s or 60s) when people may not have had a clue of the huge differences that they would face.

But I guess eventually human beings bond to each other despite all differences. Which is really wonderful to experience.

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Re: A Voyage into the Unknown - Part 3

Dear Satchi,

Now I understand why there were so many nominations for this post!!:)

For those who have not left home ever, this will be a reference of sorts. And, for those who did leave to explore the foreign shores, it brings back memories of their own first impressions! Which ever way, it impresses!:thumbsup

Like everyone else who read this, I too fretted along with you on that lonely first trip and with your travails. Since it is all true and has stemmed from your own experience, the ring of truth is palpable.

I could fully identify with your heart wrenching homesickness. It was worse than a physical pain to tear myself away from my loving parents when I first left India. Mind you, I was with my loving new husband and yet it was terrible! So I can understand your pain. So sorry that you were so sick and did not feel well on your first trip. If it is any consolation, I too traveled with a temperature and a very aching arm. Those days, we had to get vaccinations done and I had left mine till the last week. It got infected and I was running high temperature and I still carry the marks of it on my arm!

England can look very brooding and cold and unwelcoming..just like their Yorkshire moors!! But one somehow falls in love with its old streets, creaky buildings and the English humor. Maybe it is the centuries of bonding we have with the British?!! Anyways, we were in love with England and left it with a very heavy heart. Only, we cannot visit it often because it is really heavy on our purse strings.:rotfl

1. If she had survived what she did on the first two days, she could survive anything.
    2. She saw the hypocrisy of people of her own subcontinent who claim to be very warm, affectionate. She was exposed first hand to their self centred and selfish natures.
    3. Not all PAD men are bad. People of this group can be very sweet and helpful and have a lovely sense of humour.

The above are great lessons you have learnt. I totally empathize with the second one!:) :)

L, Kamla
    Congratulations on the many nominations in FP!

1 person likes this.
  4. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

beautiful Narration Satchi with every minute detail. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I could actually visualize it while reading each n every word.

Its so true that we are all grown up in such a protective environment that it takes some time for us to know the outside world and people.

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Re: A Voyage into the Unknown - Part 3

Dear Kamla,

Thanks so much for the lovely feedback and for sharing your experiences here. Yes, I really fell in love with the place -its quaintness -, the Brits and their sense of humour, the tube trains etc. Though not all, a large number of Brits are as enamoured by India and the Indians the same way as we are of their country. It definitely must be the years of association (no matter what kind) and the stories we have grown up with. Certain habits are bound to rub off.

Even after all these years I still dream I am travelling on the tube. As you say it is the constraints on the purse strings that makes it hard to go back whenever one wishes to. Though I do pray it will be possible sometime. There are still a lot of places I would love to visit.

6. satchitananda

Dear Anisu,

Thanks so much for the lovely feedback. :) :thumbsup

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I wanted to reply on the day I read it Satchi...but couldn't,,,:-(
    First, the realisations from your experiences on your voyage to the unknown is very very applicable to anyone's voyage to a foreign place.
    Second, unknowingly, you dried your clothes on the heater itself..:idea:..some pleasant surprises like this happens too..isn't it! :)

Sriniketan

8. satchitananda

Very true Sri. Mercifully the clothes got dried without my realizing what I was doing. Was it a relief when I eventually managed to get my bearings and found out where the laundry room was and how to use the coin operated machine. :)