1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Voyage into the Unknown

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jun 29, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Re: A Voyage into the Unknown - Part 3

Thanks Shanti. Am glad you enjoyed the write up. Please keep coming.

2. satchitananda

Hi Kanaka, I had actually intended concluding with these three parts, but seeing the enthusiastic response, I am now planning to write about other aspects of life abroad as a student that touched me in one way or the other.

3. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear satchi,
    lovely narattion!!! You must be really brave to venture out all alone at a time when India was still conservative.. Hats off...
    Your post brought back memories of my first foreign trip...

I travelled to Canada couple of years back and it was my first air travel... I was really scared... MY husband was with me till Mumbai and cried hell lot when he bid me good bye from there... But once I reached Canada, I somehow got adjusted to the new place, friends. I completely enjoyed my stay there... I cried again when I had to come back

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Deear Sats,
    So you ventured into the
    woods - lovely, dark and deep!!
    But you won ultimately which means you kept your promise!:thumbsup
    In Srama's words, your UK stay made you emerge into a lovely butterfly from a caterpillar, right ??!!
    You discovered your inner strength, latent till then & bloomed into a lovely, independant individual!!:)

5. satchitananda

Hi Vid,

When I got this scholarship, I had a choice between going to the UK and Canada. For purely psychological reasons I chose to go to the UK. It was only half way across the world compared to Canada and there were a lot of contacts in the UK - friends of friends and relatives. That was some moral support.

I agree with you. I was really sad to leave the UK. If I had not been offered a glass of white wine by the receptionist at the hostel as a farewell drink (it made me very giggly), I would have been crying when I left.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. :)

6. satchitananda

Dear Chitra Ma'am,

That was a lovely comparison you gave. Yes, I came out of my cocoon and spread my wings when I left home. I always think back with tremendous gratitude to those days which gave me that opportunity.

Thanks Ma'am for the lovely feedback and the metaphor. :)

7. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Satchi experience make men iron.When i went through i didn't see satchi there but myself.You presentation is excellent

8. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Satchi, beautifully written. Please put it in the travel section. I am sure new students and new comer to any country will get the benefit. What happened to the friend who was supposed ot meet you at the airport?

I lived in London for 2 years. I would love to go back for a visit. When I lived there, i did not enjoy it, but now as a tourist I will love it.

What did you study there? Do you still have contact with the all the friends you made there? did you go back to UK again. Sorry for too many questions, since I enjoyed your posting, I would like to know.

Good day.

9. JothiSaravanan

JothiSaravanan New IL'ite

Excellent Narration, I recollected my first visit to US. I loved your real story. Thanks for posting, looking more too.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  10. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Very well narrated experience Satchi. You have taken me along through your experience. Appreciate your courage with which you tackled your initial days in a foreign land inspite of your health condition. If it had been me, i would have changed my mind when i see my dear ones bidding good bye at the airport! Your post will help & give courage to those flying first time to an unknown place.