1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A typical case study!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Indhusri,

I loved your last statement. How often do we use our anger as an outlet and not as a statement of our dislike. You are one good woman. May your tribe increase.

Dear Cheeniya,

I am aghast that at the end of a gruelling, stressful day, you vent your spleen at nameless, faceless, hapless bloggers at the other end of the e-wall. You with all your worldly wisdon and saintly white beard!:mad:

Moi, well, when this happens to me, I just accept the stress. I use the wisdom of Aikido to get into the mind of the stressor, I channelise the healing energy of the universe into my soul, do a few cooling, cleansing cycles of Chandra naadi pranayama and lo! I am all de-stressed, fresh and fragrant as morning dew.

Truth be told, Cheeniya, when confronted with stress, I rave and rant.Give it a good shout or a good cry. Take it out on the wonderful human married to me and who loves me inspite of my banshee phase. Shout at my students, the maid, the driver in front of me, innocent bloggers who may turn out not to be so annonymous after all. I am stress personified. Medusa like-----

I think the main issue (we do not call our problems as 'problems' in an Utopian Oprah world) is that we do not really and fully accept the stress. We could use humour, squeee balls, yoga, punching boards anything temporary to vent the pressure, but till we claim it , it will remain real and looming. Does that remove the stress? Maybe not, but atleast we look much better not shouting like hysterical Frenchmen. And in any pressurizing situation when faced between anger and grief, we choose anger since it gives us more control.

A couple of months back, I received some horrifying news. For the first two weeks, I was a roaring tornado. And then I realised that, I could stress over the issue, blame it on karma, nature, the cat next door; or I could accept my situation and get on with life, making it easier for myself and mine. And believe me, it was not so difficult once my mind was made. I went to sleep tight and angry, I woke up all fresh and fragrant as morning dew (hey, a girl can use flattering adjectives even when referring to herself). I still do not have a solution to my issue, but I learnt to cope. Do I give myself a 'V' here or what?

Great piece of writing by you, Cheeniya. You can turn the daily mundane into a lesson of life. And with every post, I learn something new from you. And think about it as sleep hits the mind. And that C, is the glory of any writer. To have his readers recollecting him in tranquillity.

Cheers!
    V24

2 people like this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Indhu
    You have understood the spirit of my case study just perfectly! That's what I had in mind when I prepared that case study. Wont it be better if we take it out on an unknown individual who we may never meet than venting it against someone close to us and hurt him/her for no reason at all? A point for consideration!
    Sri

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sri and indhu,

It is nice feeling venting out on an unknown person as long as you are not in the receiving end...:biggrin2:. My argument is that it is a vicious circle which could come back to you.....sometime..or the other....

and again i am not condemning anybody....i am writing what i practice..i try to relax..and if the going is more bad..who else ... then... to lift the phone and place a call..(dont ask me about my isd bills...)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  4. Cheeniya

"I am aghast that at the end of a gruelling, stressful day, you vent your spleen at nameless, faceless, hapless bloggers at the other end of the e-wall. You with all your worldly wisdon and saintly white beard!"

Dear Vidya
    When I narrate something in the nature of a case study in first person for effect, does it have to be me? Com'on, you know me better than that! First person narratives are very close to my heart and I employ that technique wherever possible! With that confession of mine, please continue to consider my white beard as evidence of my saintly nature.:smile:

Of all forms of anger, the helpless anger is the most debilitating. I have noticed from the various threads posted in IL that many young people nurse some form of silent anger against their mil, sil,bil and fil though for some strange reason, the grievance against fil is very minimal! These people nurse their unspent fury in their hearts until one day it turns a killer. William Blake has brought it out beautifully in his poem The Poison Tree thus:

I was angry with my friend:
    I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
    I was angry with my foe;
    I told it not, my wrath did grow.
    And I water'd it in fears,
    Night & morning with my tears;
    And I sunned it with my smiles
    And with soft deceitful wiles.
    And it grew both day and night,
    Till it bore an apple bright;
    And my foe beheld it shine,
    And he knew that it was mine, And into my garden stole
    When the night had veil'd the pole:
    In the morning glad I see
    My foe outstretch'd beneath the tree!

It pains me a lot when I see this glorious feeling of camaraderie that is the hallmark of IndusLadies getting marred by petulent expressions.

Of course anger can be subdued by many ways and it is not my intention to give a big lecture about it. Instead, I wanted to open up discussion on this vital area so that people could reflect on this aberration. Effective anger management is very crucial for a peaceful life. May peace reign supreme in IL!

And thanks a million for that concluding para. I have never received a greater tribute for my writings than what you have given now! I am truly grateful to you.
    Sri

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear C,

I know one thing for sure. I may look good being angry, but I dont sound too good being funny! Can't you take a joke? Of course, I know that you will not vent your fury issuing insults to invisible bloggers. Of course, I know first person narratives do not mean the writer is the hero, however autobiographical they may be. And rest assured, I revere the white beard.

As you rightly say, helpless anger is a killer. It is reductionist. And worse, over time, it fosters a sense of self righteousness in perpetuating wrong. I have seen that some of the persons who foster hate have been victims and do it with a sense of moral duty.

Loved the peom, reading it for the first time.

'May peace reign in IL'! Amen, thathasthu, mashallah to that.

Yup, you have opened a discussion on anger management. And as always, you have been effective. Loving your works, your words and look forward to more.

cheers!
    V24

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear sri,
    Your post on typical case study of bottled irritability, call it hurt, makes interesting reading.
    Very often, right from the day starts, things go wrong. As I wrote once in your blogs, some are days of

Idi idikka
    Mazai peyya
    Vilakku anaiya
    Thirudan vara
    Thael kotta
    Kuzanthai aza

We need to vent out our anger. There is a tamil saying

SuvatrOdaavathu solli azu !

Many pshychiatrists suggest, that we must write out in a sheet of paper, all the hurt that we feel and finally tear off that paper.That way, we let out our steam pent up inside and we feel relieved, rather light in our mind.
    With modern facilities, perhaps internet acts as a sounding board, as well, but without reacting. That makes it more convenient for us because the reaction is dumb as we want it to be, but we are more at peace with ourselves.(Telling someone how hurt we are, can be risky, because the person may not be trust-worthy.). As you rightly say, the anonymity gives us utter freedom !
    But before posting, it is better to think twice if the target is "safe" (?) ! We should not jump from the frying pan into the fire.
    Well, what I write has nothing to do with IL, MIL, DIL etc.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri Sir,
    When the tide is not in my favour, I just scream, rave and rant .Nobody in particular will listen to me nor do i not target anybody. Even in anger, I think it is better to be safe. what to do? Blame it on "thalaividhi". My belief is everyone is not going to please you nor can you please all. Orukku nallavana/ nallavlla irukka mudiyadhu. Whatever you do someone will be angered by it so the best thing to do is rave and rant to yourself or cry and scream loud. What are walls for???????:crazy
    Case study excellent.

8. Cheeniya

Dear V
    That clarification was intended more for those who might get a wrong perception of me reading your lines! I am aware that you know me like the back of your hand!
    Honestly V, I get unbelievably saddened by rancour among people. Beaming faces thrill me no end!
    Dont worry, be happy is my all time favourite song!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    When I joined SBI as a Probationary Officer in 1965, the first lesson that was imparted to me by my mentor was something that I have followed till this day. He told me not to reply any communication from Head Office or a client that was unreasonably provocative or put the blame on me quite unfairly on the day of receipt. He advised me to keep it away for a day until my anger or feeling of hurt subsided and then frame a suitable reply. He told me that if I attempted to reply with my feeling running high, that letter would cause more damage instead of controlling it.
    I have followed this advice not only in my office but in my personal life too.
    Anger management is an art.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

Dear Janani
    Everyone needs a Wailing Wall at times. I am sure that all those Shakespearan characters indulged in some poignant soliloquy only to give vent to their ire!
    Your method may appear safe but in the long run might make you hysteric! A punch bag would be a safer idea!
    Sri