1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A trip to dilli : my experience.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by amihere, Oct 27, 2010.

1. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

I am back from a weeklong trip to Delhi and Rajasthan, and yes now you have to suffer from my long narrations of the 9days. DH and I went to Delhi from Bangalore and my parents and sisters joined us at Delhi airport. We had booked our tour package with Riya travels and our cab was waiting for us at the airport. Since there were 6 of us we had asked for an Innova , finally checked in at Hotel Southern. It is an ok hotel. {My DH said Delhi hotels are really expensive and there is no use comparing it with other places’. My poor sisters weren’t able to sleep well that night due to bed bugs:drowning Most of the clients were complaining about this or that problem at the reception. The bathroom in parent’s room had some block and was repaired once reported.} First day was rest day for us. After bath we just walked around the market place near to hotel and suppressed the temptation to go in for a shopping spree thinking of Jaipur(According to our list we had loads to buy from Jaipur;) ). It was my DH’s birthday next day, so on the way back we bought a delicious chocolate truffle cake from Bikanerwala. After dinner DH did cake cutting at 11.30(All of us were dead tired to wait till 12.00L). He was really surprised to see the lovely sight of chocolate cake with candles. Guess what? It were magic candles and poor DH got tired blowing it out again and again Witsend Meanwhile my dad shared a story why cake is cut and bday song sang at the time. It’s believed that ill spirit will come visiting you during your bday, to ward them off we sing the song and the round cake is lit with candles which signifies lovely bright moon and thus blessing the bday baby.

On 17th after breakfast (Breakfast is complimentary at hotel and it was alright) we left for India Gate. It was a great feeling to see the India Gate,:hatsoff which is dedicated for the Heros of our Nation. The daily parade started just as we were leaving. Next was a drive past Rashtrapathi Bhavan and Parliament. Since it was Sunday there was no rush. Our next stop was at Humayun’s tomb. In the stone note in front, it was stated that this place is called as “the cradle of the moguls” as there are as many as 100tombs in here. There is also a mosque inside the place.
    Qutb Minar, the highest tower in India, was the next in our itinerary. This again is a wonder to our eyes. At these modern times building a 72M tall tower is not a great thing. But imagine that time when there were no cranes and things, how difficult would it have been. BowThere is a mosque near Qutb minar and we can also see another structure similar to Qutb which is not finished. The iron pillar is a scientific wonder as it hasn’t rusted yet. Ala'i-Darwaza , tomb of Iltutmish and a sun dial also are present here.

By this time we were hungry to eat an elephant with all this walking and climbing. Our driver took us to Cafe Rendezvous at Panchshila Park South. The food was lovely, but the bill wasn’t so he he. On a serious note the food and ambience is great. It is the place you would love to spend your time for a heavenly lunch with your family after a tiresome day. We left for Lotus Temple which is of Bahai faith after lunch. Lotus temple is similar to the Opera house in Sydney from outside. My sisters and mom visited the temple while I, DH and dad waited outside. So I can’t tell you anything about how lovely the temple is inside. We sat in the shadow of bushes in the park, but security came and chased us and all other visitors who were taking a rest there. Finally after searching a lot for a resting place, we managed to get some space on the bench which is placed near the parking area.

Our last and final visit was to Raj Ghat. We have to remove our chappal before entering. We can keep it in a locker by paying a few rupees. The feeling I had after entering the place cannot be explained in words. I didn’t know I had such strong respect to The Father of our Nation. Many of the historical incidents flashed in my mind as I stood there silently watching the flickering fire which is now at the place where Mahatma Gandhi was cremated. We had tea from the nearby restaurant and left for Red Fort. The itinerary included drive pass Red Fort, but unluckily for us the roads to Red Fort were closed due to Ram Leela. Being from South India I have never seen Ram Leela. But our driver advised us not to get in there. So we just drove past Redfort, the famous chandni chowk and Juma Masjid.And missed the famour parathas in Delhi. For dinner we went to the Bikanerwala near our hotel.

Then crawled into our bed, waiting for next day with lots of excitement; as we were going to visit the famous symbol of love – The Taj Mahal.

Next{Agra}

Some Pictures from my trip.

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

You are wrong Ami. This is not boring. I have never been to Delhi or Rajasthan and very much would like to visit one day before my bones give up :). You are lucky to have visited with family. I am enjoying this...Waiting for the following day. Belated birthday greetings to DH by the way. Hope you are keeping well.

3. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Ami, I too second K2S here. It wasn't boring at all.

You know what, I loved it all the more because myself and DH made a similar trip to Delhi couple of years back. I say similar because, we too visited the sites that you mentioned almost in the same order. I vividly remember my feelings on visiting Rajghat.
    We too had a dekho of the Redfort from outside only. Besides those places, got to see few more as we were there for 3 days.
    And I must mention, I have had dinner at Bikanerwala :-D. Got loads of sweets from there too hehe.

Thanx for sharing your experiences and reminding me of my visit there.

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sree,
    I am so glad to see your comment as the first fb for my blog:) Its been long since we had a chat right? I will post the rest soon. Due to hectic work schedule am not getting time to pen down these. Whenever you are planning for a Delhi trip do keep aside 2-3days alone for Delhi. Our tour agency said there is nothing much in Delhi for 2days and got to know its so worng. Anyway experience is the best teacher :(

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Gosh! Dear Saraswathi, There are a lot of similarities between our trip:) Had it been at the same time we would have seen each other. Every where I go,when I see people I wonder "Is she a memeber of IL" ;) Glad that I was able to take you back to wonderful memories.

6. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Wow...really loved this blog...Just because it is my wish to visit such places...I love History and I have been longing to see those palaces...But the time has not yet come...It would have been nice if you posted some pics too...Thanks a lot for sharing :)

7. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Iswarya, I will give links to pics soon.I am yet to sort them out:( Thanks for coming in, hope your wish will flower soon.

8. ranisuresh

ranisuresh Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I beleive, Hotel Southern where you stayed is in Karol Baug... rite.... If it is that location, then accomodation would be like this only...
    Basically it is a commercial area, if you are looking for a nice stay, there are so many good hotels in and around Delhi at reasonable rates, but we have check with the tour operator....

Did you visit Dilli Haat?... famous for handicraft items and Akshardham Temple??... lovely place...

9. Perfectionist

Perfectionist Senior IL'ite

Hi ami...

Good that you liked to visist those places.

If you like road side /stylish shopping, you could have visited lajpat nagar,janpath,sarojini..

And wat about CP , Did you visit it??

10. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rani, the fact was since we were visiting just after CWG most of the hotels were full. Before thay had arranged hotel dreamland, and I saw many bad reviews in net and asked them to change.

Akshardam temple is one thing that will make me visit Delhi again. We didnt have a chance coz our schedule was too tight.