A trip to Belur Math from Kolkata

Discussion in 'Travel' started by piyagupta, Jul 20, 2009.

1. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

Last Sunday we planned to visit Belur Math. We started early to avoid the sweltering heat. We got a bus to Howrah station and took another bus to Belur.

When we entered the premise a cool breeze blowing from the Ganga cooled us. As we walked towards the main temple a magnificent sight greeted us. The water of the river was shimmering in the early morning light. A few devotees were offering their morning ablutions. The grassy lawns, well-trimmed trees and flowery bushes bordering the river bank created a beautiful landscape. The entire place exuded serenity that immediately touched our souls.

Quietly we entered the main temple and along with other devotees offered our silent prayers. We sat there meditating for some time and imbibing the tranquillity of the place.

Afterwards we also visited other temples and the room where Swamiji attained Samadhi.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009

2. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

I have also visited Belur Math once in my adolescence.

Belur Math is located on the western banks of the river Hooghly(Ganga) in the Howrah district of West Bengal.

Sprawling over forty acres of land it is a place of pilgrimage for people of all religions. It was conscrecated by Swami Vivekananda in 1898 by worshipping his master late Sri Ramakrishna. Since then Belur Math has become the hub of a worldwide spiritual movement known as Vedanta Movement or Ramakrishna Movement.

The lush green campus dotted with flowery bushes and trees exudes serenity that captivates all visitors. The presence of holy Ganga with its own beauty heightens the divinity of this place. One can imbibe the spirit of this place by visiting the main monastery and temples dedicated to Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Sarada Devi and Swamiji. The room in which Swamiji attained Samadhi is also preserved here.

Every day the place is visited by thousands of people and ceremonies of all major religions are celebrated here.

3. raginisharma

raginisharma Senior IL'ite

Your post reminded me of my last visit to Belur Math.

Last month, during my visit to Kolkata, on a sultry morning we decided to visit Belur Math. We reached there by road.

Suddenly the sky became overcast. We hurriedly entered the main temple. As we sat there we could hear the rumbling of the clouds. When we reached Swamiji’s room it started raining. I stood on the balcony and looked on. Thousands of raindrops were falling on the river. The view of the other side of the river had become blurred. The trees were swaying in the strong wind. The bushes and flower beds looked fresh in the shower. I felt a little chilly. I could hear the rustling of the leaves and the clattering of the raindrops on the river bed. Nature unfolded a new vision to me.

I silently felt the divinity of the place in my soul. I kept quiet and soaked in the beauty of nature.