1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A train journey through the clouds

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padmini
    Your capacity for research is amazing! Even if I write about a grinding stone, you fish out some historical or mythological reference. In all fairness, you should be called Dr.Padmini in recognition of all your research work. Your sympathy for Eve is a new dimension to me. I have always thought that Adam was to be pitied and Eve to be censured. These Rabbis have a knack of quoting incidents from the Old Testament as if they were there witnessing the events at the material time! You must give it to them. See how they have narrated the story now to help Eve get the benefit of doubt!

In many cases, men became successful because there were women behind them and driving them. In other cases like Einstein, men succeeded by not having any women behind them. It is like saying, some make us happy when they come and others when they go.

Thanks for judging my memory by my knowledge of Sivakumar and Sharmila's dimple. If you had asked me the birthdate of Babur, you would have formed a different opinion of my memory!
    Sri

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    Thank you for conferring that title Dr to me. Today being very auspicious day why don't we celebrate with a function? You will be the chief guest!:)After your approval only, I can make ready for the posters with the sayings' " Arivu niraindha Cheeniyavaal " Doctor" pattam petra engal thanaithalaiviPadminiye!!!:rotfl
    with love
    pad

3. Cheeniya

Dear Padmini
    Sounds excellent! That reminds me. This term 'Thaanai thalaivi' is a stock description for J madam. Once in Neyveli, some one described her as 'Yaanai thalai' through slip of the tongue and he was stripped off of all his posts! Don't know if this is true. But in your case, such a prob will never arise because I understand from the usually reliable sources, that you have no chance of becoming a 'yaanai thalaivi'!
    Sri

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    This happened really. But in my case even if you say " yaanai thalaivi" I won't mind because getting a title from you makes my day!!!
    with love
    pad

5. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

The title of your post brought back reminiscences of 'A walk in the clouds'... not the movie (the storyline is too much like a Bollywood/Kollywood take-off!... a topic for another rambling, I hope?)

As I was saying, this walk was amidst the clouds in Kodaikanal on a brrr! oh-so-cold winter morning... unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure of a train journey from M'palayam to 'Udhagamandalam' as my grand-father loved to call Ooty...

I read on, waiting with bated breath for the 'connection' between the train-ride and the women (?) behind a successful man, Adam and Eve, the Saptapadi ... :drowning<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:24pt; height:24pt'/><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->

Enna Cheeniya sir, direct-a kudos kudukkaraa maadiri vandhu side-aala poittele! I must hand it to you, you sure have a way of doling out (back-handed?) compliments to the fairer sex!....and the coup-de-grace, the 'rear engine' who pushes and prods and spurs her spouse on to greater heights (clouds?) :hide:<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:24pt;height:24pt'/><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->

'When we talk of a woman being behind every successful man, we start wondering if the corollary can be true. It is a bit surprising that no mention is made of a woman in the case of a failure. It is probably implied that he is a failure despite the woman before him or behind him or by his side!'

Cheeniya sir, in case of a failure, one can be sure that there were no women in the life of the man in question...<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1027" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:24pt;height:24pt'/><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->...:biglaugh the poor soul!
    Cheeniya sir, super post as usual :thumbsup<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1028" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:24pt;height:24pt'/><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->

Love,
    Padma

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  6. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi Cheeniya
    Had I not, by now, come to understand your style of writing, i would have wondered if a whole paragraph was missing between the first and the second. Of course, there had to be a method in this mad disconnect, this being Cheeniya's Rambling ! But even after careful poring through the entire second para,I was clueless about what the Nilgiri Train had to do with Adam, Eve and successful men ! You take the cake and the bakery for likening women to the pushing rear engine . :yes: without our diligent goading, where would humanity be today ?

I really can't fathom if you have admiration or derision for poor Eve's ,and her Daughters' , industrious and relentless pushing . But it would be nice if you could deflect your sympathetic gaze from long suffering Adam for a moment and turn it to the lot of poor Eve herself . It was insulting enough to have missed being made The Primary Model out of dust ,but she was also made to pay for God's little slip up and His hasty band-aid redressal of calving her out of that non-working Draft Issue. Had she been the First Creation, she would have instantly got busy eating that apple and designing developmental work for humanity, without needing anyone to push or pull her . But as it turned out, God made her babysit a reluctant , lazy, shirker and all the thanks she gets for her earnest toil is eternal ribbing ! :frown:

You loved going wheeeeeeeeee inside railway tunnels ? How sweet ! I do too. I still do , even if its only the Balbhavan Toy train that i am riding !

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

You are comparing a train engine to a woman.Chee chee !:rotfl

Behind my blogging is actually Harsha.she stars in most of my blogs, though she hates blogs all the more.HAHA.

What would life be without women, Sri, the jewellers would be bankrupt,so would the saree showrroms, the cruises would go empty, for it is the wives, in some cases mistresses, who force u there, the marriage contracters, etc etc.

I agree with groucho, he has some classic sayings, like

Behind every succesful men there is a woman,
    Behind a failur, there are two.

A man is as young as the woman he feels.

And Sri, u are right, if no women, we would be laidback, we would nto make the effore to earn more, for we would be spending less:biglaugh

Sri, u are a genius, u make us laugh and think, tell me wat does yr wife think of u, and yur wirting abilities.ia m curious to know.HAHA

REgards

kamal

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr cheenia,
    An entertaining as well as thought provoking blog, followed by entertaining fbs! I enjoyed your write up and the fbs.
    There is one question nagging me. When women are successful why they do not say, "there is a man behind every successful woman." Perhaps the man leads a woman during Sapthapathi and so he would not accept to stay behind a successful woman!
    Ha ha, just joking. I do have great respect for those men who are behind successful women.
    Love,
    PS

9. Cheeniya

Dear Padma
    You are dead right in your assessment of 'A walk in the clouds'! I always wonder if some Tamil knowing writer of Hollywood who was on a visit to Chennai read this story from the page of a Tamil magazine that was used for wrapping the Sundal that he ordered at the Marina! He possibly got so excited that he flew back to LA shouting Eureka and made it into a block-buster movie. I am sure Tamil directors like Shankar or K.S.Ravikumar wouldn't have touched it with a 10-foot long barge pole!

Why your grandfather? Even I call it Ooty even today! Udhagamandalam doesn't suit the serenity of the place as it sounds as though you are bound to get kicked around the moment you are there! (Udhaikkara mandalam!)

I am genuinely grateful for all that women make us achieve through constant nagging. I remember how my mum used to nag me to study particularly whenever I was in no mood for it. Whenever I thought of all the nagging she did during the day making me do things that I hated most like studying, I always ground my teeth. She attributed it to worms in my tummy and promptly gave me a deworming medicine on the following day!

"Cheeniya sir, in case of a failure, one can be sure that there were no women in the life of the man in question..:biglaugh the poor soul!"
    Could fear of failure be the reason why some men are constantly in search of women?:)

Sri

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya

I came to snippets to write about my trip to Koduvayur by train and just read your title A train journey through the clouds. Before leaving I was just checking everyday whether you have written anything new. As always it was enjoyable to read your post.

Its true that behind every successful man there is a woman. But some dont like to say that statement. But some are there who proudly say that my success in life is due to my wife. When we had gone to Koduvayur the father in law of the bride's sister came to my husband and said he had some relative looking like my husband. My husband was telling him that he and the Bridegroom's father are from the Brahmin Seva Samithi and they go tohelp people when someone expires. The other gentleman was telling my husband that you people are doing a great job. My husband was saying credit goes to my wife also , if I did not have the support of her I cant go for the service. He was saying sometimes we have to go at odd times and are either late for lunch or dinner but till I come back, my wife also does not eat and waits for me. Actually my husband is doing a great job I am not doing anything great but sharing his punya.

Regards
    viji