1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Status Quo In My Marital Life

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sowmyar, Jan 31, 2010.

1. sowmyar

sowmyar New IL'ite

Dear ILites

I have been a sort of a regular here at IL, though more a lurker than an active participant. I have read thru many of the posts, and have to give it to you gals for being moral support systems for so many women. Yes, I do have some issues in my life as well. Here is some background before we get into the banal mid-life crisis I am finding myself in.

WARNING - REAL LONG!!

I am one of 2 kids, the eldest, with a brother 7 years my junior. My mom has been a career woman cum homemaker, and so I have had to chip in quite a bit raising my brother. Meaning that I was conditioned early to be co-caretaker, though not necessarily under pressure – in fact, I liked to feel needed and important. I learnt to cook early, make sure bro’ had his lunch when mom was out, and generally didn’t make it a point to rebel although I must have been a handful in my pubescent years! Yet, I have also had a rather self-reliant take on life, graduating per my desires (and then completing my PG thereafter), with little if any interference from my parents. Also, my family has been pro-modern with no strict spiritual beliefs enforced, although we comply with traditional south-Indian Brahmin practices. In short, I have had a fairly free reign as long as I upheld commitments, willingly I may add.

Now, I am a married woman, with an active 2 year old boy. And, three years down the road, my marital life has been nothing short of a muddled mess, a ship in turbulent waters with the shore nowhere in sight. I must admit I really can’t point to when my marriage moved to its current hopelessness, but there I am now. To make matters clearer to you, the reader, I am dividing it into the pre-kid and the post-kid issues. Read on, and please post thoughts.

The Marriage Hungama
    Although I had some misgivings about this relationship pre-marriage, I had most of my rude awakenings via the expectations during the wedding ceremony and all the little functions thereafter. I won’t nitpick on the trivial details, but to give you an example, there was this demeaning fight staged by FIL the very day post marriage (called kattu sadam by Brahmins, or bluntly put the day after the suhaag raat). It was over the apparently agreed giving of 2 silver plates (thalis) that FIL claims was initially agreed, but my parents had explicitly made lists of all silver items to be given and got their approval prior to it and they had agreed (that is for 1 silver plate). The fight was rather dirty with FIL saying he won’t participate in the breakfast that day which is taken as an auspicious finale to the wedding ceremony. He also said that he deliberately waited until the morning, hinting that he wanted the night through, much to my humiliation.

To top it MIL staged a headache and hunger induced sickness drama because my parents had not invited them personally for the morning tiffin which caused her to go into bouts of nausea - her words. Finally a few days later my parents gave another silver plate, and when I told about this entire episode to my husband he pretended he didn’t realise the fight was about this and MIL complained that I should not have told him (well, he was very much present, but he says he had thought it was about his mom’s sickness and my parent’s oversight, bull in my opinion).

Now I am just an onlooker to all this, and though to me all this giving of silverware and gold and utensils and all that does not go down well in my opinion, I put up with it as part of this arranged marriage build-up. But frankly the entire hungama was enough to make me sick to my shins, and I still managed a stoic forefront and personally spoke to FIL and helped resolve it by intervening on my dad’s behalf. Although close relatives did mention the positive way I diffused the situation, to this day I am stunned at my responses then, and as to how I maintained a cool when all I wanted was to press a rewind button and run for my life.

[Continued in Post 2]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010

2. sowmyar

sowmyar New IL'ite

A Status Quo In My Marital Life - Continued

Pre-Kid Days
    Other things happened meanwhile. My husband lost his job (he was placed out of India), and I had quit my job hoping to join him immediately after the marriage. We had just purchased a house, and the loan payments were due the first few months, and my in-laws accused me of leaving my job without seeking their permission. Excuse me:rant! My husband had put his foot down and said atleast a month before the wedding I must put my papers. Besides, I had changed jobs just during the engagement (some 4 months before we tied the knot), and at that time they told me not to join even since I will have to quit soon – to this my FIL’s elder brother intervened and so I joined after all. Anyway suddenly they were faulting me for quitting when they didn’t want me to join in the first place. Besides my husband had lost the job for having taken too many days off (visiting India on surprise visits as he called it – immature I felt but he would not listen).

I was still in India at this time, and joined my husband only about 4 months after marriage. My husband had got a job just bef I joined him, and he claimed he got a house rented and asked me to pack up in a few days (he was staying with friends until then). When my dad suggested he get settled into his new home and then call me he got all riled up and said I can continue to stay in India if I so pleased. Left with little option, I packed and booked tickets, only to be informed the night before I was to fly that the house contract did not come thru and we would be staying with his friends, who was also recently married. And I left without telling my dad this (though I did inform my mom but asked for her to support me and not tell dad). But my husband never thinks this was a big deal. And until a year back I felt I had to support him too.

And then, as luck would have it I got preggo immediately. When I thought things would get better, they got worse. First MIL would make snide remarks about our plans for me to get a job there, which got delayed because of my visa status and my horrible morning sickness. When I asked for my mom to be there, my husband kept putting it off saying his mom would come, which she never did for fear FIL would throw a show. Finally after losing much weight, and tired of it all, I came to India in my fifth month, although we initially planned a delivery there, but my husband suddenly got into his head that it was my family’s responsibility to handle the delivery :bonk.

The Delivery Stage Show
    Meantime, my husband had a few ‘close’ friends recommending I have a c-section at an auspicious time since his jadagam was favourably set to bring him prosperity if he had a child born in the right hour. He had me sent to a doctor of his choice, and I was horrified at the suggestion. I refused and began to see another obs close to my place pleading that the other doc was located too far away (I kept going back and forth between my parents place and inlaws who live in the same city).

Then he came to India sometime in my 7<SUP>th</SUP> month (for our thalai diwali). He refused to come here for the function (custom demands it’s done in the bride’s place), but obviously they twist custom when it suits them. Anyway he again tried talking me into having a c, he visited my doc and made claims that people he knew did deliveries even as early as 7 months. He quoted a friend of his whose son was delivered in 7 and half months, at a weight of barely 1.5 kg! I was appalled, and again tried to diffuse things by pleading, by being stubborn, by reasoning. But he kept to his, and even after returning pestered me day in and out to get it done asap.

When we had my seemandam function, he came here and again continued the drama. It was just days before my due date, but they said according to the custom we have to do in an ‘even’ month or some such crap, and I could barely sit much less bear the bathing with cold water poured right over my head – of course the fact that I was practically shivering and panting from the shower seemed more a performance.

Finally, we had the delivery a few days after my due date since I never did get pains. I had a c, on a day my husband picked and conveyed to his parents. Meanwhile they threatened we move to the new doc because their son had said so. Finally my dad agreed to convince our doc to do it (I had a local anaes, and the doc team said I was in labor and would have had a normal had we waited just another day). Anyway long story short we had had another falling out, and my husband had not called me even after the delivery. He stopped talking to me until the time of the naming ceremony of our kid (a total of about a month – 2 weeks before and after the D-day) – this really shocked and pained me and I contemplated a break-up for the first time.

Post Kid
    After the whole episode surrounding the way my son came into t he world, we had a reconciliation of sorts. I returned to my husband’s home, and then we came to India for my son’s first birthday last year. I had a talk with him about supporting me more especially since I had been working from home, freelancing as a writer. He agreed but did little, except occasionally remark that I never revealed how much I made from freelance work. This was true, but fact remained that despite my having moved in with him, I had lost a level of basic trust in him and his family. I was all but waiting for a separation, and I admit I was saving for the future – my son’s and mine. I was a disaster waiting to happen, and could not bring myself to get involved in the relationship wholeheartedly.

To make matters worse, my husband offered little by way of support in raising our son (he used to be quite affectionate and caring before the whole fiasco unfolded, sometime after I came to India for my delivery). I handled the bulk of the housework, cooking, cleaning, bathing and feeding baby, getting his cloth diapers done and dry, and also finding time to freelance. Husband went to office, shopped for groceries, and often just browsed the mall after work so as to return late. While I took my kid to parks, read books and sung rhymes with him, played and nursed him, my husband kept up frequent visits to the temple never missing the subrabatham sevai and basically taking the temple as an escape route. In short I felt like a single mom (except for a visit or two to the local temple his dad took little care of his son whose birth-time was to be his boon). Of course I sometimes took outings but having a kid in tow left little room for a long time outing unless I had help. I felt trapped in a loveless marriage.

Now...
    A couple of months back, my mother visited us for the first time (my MIL had found time to visit when I was here post delivery as if wanting to take a trip before I could be there). I finally had a heart to heart with my mom, and laid it out to her. I said I was so frustrated I was going insane. She suggested a break and I returned to India, and have been here until now. Hubby is expected shortly and is intent on having us return. I have not visited inlaws this time (after this trip), though I did call a few times. They didn’t seem keen to visit though husband loses no chance to say I am denying them their rights to see their grandkid. I have asked them to visit since their house is very inconvenient for me to be in, with bathrooms outside the house (like in houses of old times), hard to stay with kid who is prone to falling and stuff. Now, with hubby soon to return I am dreading going back to square one. He claims he has realized his follies, but given his nature to promise but under deliver I am still uncertain.

Now, I don’t claim that I am a saint, but by nature I am more patient, and have been called stubborn but not unreasonable – I have been termed ‘azutham’ by inlaws. I have to say right off that I am far from the ‘Sati-Savitri’ types of yesteryears, who glorify their pro-masochistic tendencies. And I don’t qualify as a feminist either, more so because I think the crux of feminism leans too much on ’equality’, which I have problems accepting. To me women and men are what they are – unequals, which is not to concede that men be greater! A guy won’t be a standard I set for myself, period!
    Anyway, what is your take on my tumultuous marriage? Do you think I should have handled things differently? I am at a fix, a crossroads of sorts, and yes I hope to return to my husband to try my hand again at making the marriage work. But I fear I am putting forth a confused front, which I am maybe! I am afraid this diffidence projects a weakness, and I need advice (from unbiased sources, since my family obviously take sides and confuse me further).

So sorry for this LOOOOONG post!

3. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

sorry to call your husband a fool but he is
    how can a babys birth decide fathers future..so according to some source if he shoudl kill first baby will he be doing it?
    so sick of him asking doc ..i wonder how doc left him without saying anything i could have slapped him if this was reason given
    in laws issues honestly 90% people have pre marriage issues i guess better to forget that
    check with your husband in this visit and talk to him first about all issues you have with him not in laws and see you will be a better person to judge him once hes bac

4. vimala1957

vimala1957 Bronze IL'ite

Re: A Status Quo In My Marital Life - Continued

Hi Sowmya,

Never heard of a more wretched act of bringing out a baby prematurely or insisting for a delivery by c-section in the 7th month. Is he sane? I do not know how you managed. But this one example is enough to prove that your husband is a real difficult person, a person who least cares for his wife's or son's (rather an unborn infant's)health- huh.

If it was me, I would never trust his promises.

Wish you lead a good and respectable life showering all the love and care on your little one, who really deserves it. Your priority should be you son now, you have brought him in this world. I do not know how much justice you would be able to do to your little one if you are again struck up in struggling for your own rights and existence if you want to pull on in such a marriage.

List out your priorities. Also list out what you would have to face and how much you have to work towards all those. Do all this remembering that you are a human being who has the right to happiness and live for yourself and your son.

Wish you a good life ahead

love

5. sowmyar

sowmyar New IL'ite

Re: A Status Quo In My Marital Life - Continued

Lavii / Vimala

Once again you guys have proved the worth of this board by providing great support. Thanks so much.

Fact is that the point you both mentioned - the way my first born was delivered. Can you believe he really does have friends whose child(ren) were delivered on a pre-decided date, I know of atleast one such couple who are still together some 15 years after the child was born. Beats me no end! In reality this has been the most significant bone of contention between the two of us, although I have to say that my husband often makes short work of the issue, shushing it to a case of me being adamant and not being a devoted wife. In my honest opinion, he is all but a shadow of his dad, to whom women are mere means to an end. I would say he would have much liked a docile and adoring wife who would fall over herself to meet his every whim. How unfortunate he got more than he bargained for - a wilful woman with a mind of her own.

Pardon my attempt at humor, but I have rehashed those incidents to the point of obsessing. I am perhaps reopening old wounds, but thankfully my son provides ample distraction. These days I focus my energies on him, trying to read up on being a good parent, since I fear his dad would thrust his hopeless idealogies on such a fragile mind. I blog about him, and interact with other mothers, and in a way this has been mentioned by my husband as me trying to distance myself from the relationship. In fact our sex life became virtually non-existent as can be imagined much to my husband's dismay, which he now knows is more an emotional distancing than a hormonal inconvenience.

Anyway, point being that my son is the very reason I am still keeping the doors open to a reconciliation. He is such a wonderful child, an ever smiling cutie with the patience second to none (seriously, even at 2 I can see he is very patient and observant). And when I think he might be denied a normal childhood, growing up in broken home my heart goes cold. Yes, at times I think it would be better than bringing him up with a person who can be so selfish and illogical in his religious mindset. But self doubts are my real enemy.

More thoughts welcome...

6. vidhkarthik

vidhkarthik Bronze IL'ite

My only question is HOW on earth did you get into this mess? You seem to come across like a sane, level headed mature girl. Then..How can you be this short sighted and not see through this guy before? I agree its an arranged marriage where it is not possible to know everything about a guy before marriage - but surely such eccentricities can't be hidden..can they?

If I were you, I would not trust this guy again easily. He needs to win my trust and accept and understand his totally STUPID mistakes. I agree a child needs his parents, but a parent who is a bane than a boon can be totally done without. Just my 2C.

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Sowmya,

i'm sorry i don't have any tips/suggestion/solutions/answers to your questions. I came here to give you a tight hug. from your writing you seem to be very intelligent with a good clarity of mind. and it's not at all your/your family's fault that you ended up in such a relationship. I always wonder why nature, if you believe in, God puts forth such a bonding. Hugs to you and I do hope you find some answer soon...

Latha

8. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sowmya,

I completely understand your pain. In fact after reading your post it brought be back painful deliveries of my pregnancy and delivery too. It is so sad that even educated people are so backward. Believe it or not my most esteemed FIL who the ex-vice chancellor of University of Madras medical department and holds a PhD in pharmacology gave me that dumb suggestion of scheduling my C section on a particular date for an "auspicious birth". I went through a high risk pregnancy with central placenta previa and even the mildest contractions or dilations would be fatal for me and my baby. The doctors warned me of this danger during every month in my pregnancy.

In fact right during the 8th month of my pregnancy docs told me not to go from 1 mile radius from the hospital in case of any emergency. Such was my state. So my perintalogist (ob/gyn who deals with high risk pregnancies) told us to schedule the delivery exactly on the 37th week+ 1 day because he told me going even a day beyond that is far too risky for the life of me and my baby. He told us that considering the fact that I had come so far in pregnancy without a single incident of bleeding is extremely lucky.

Though I was very strong throughout the pregnancy just like any mother I was worried about the health of my baby. One day I called my in-laws hoping to get some emotional support :bonk:bonkThat was the only day in my whole life where I hoped to get some kind of emotional support from my in-laws. In return I got a suggestion from my FIL to schedule the C section on an auspicious day since my delivery will only be a C section. He even justified his thinking with "Indian culture". Arggghhh.....I just can't believe that he is the ex-vice chancellor of the entire medical department in Madras university !!!

As though that was not enough I went through a horrendous time post delivery because of my husband and my in-laws. The result is I landed in postpartum depression and it took me a long time to come out of this. I learned some hard lessons in life but the experience only made me a stronger and sensitive human being. This is my advice to you:
    1) Don't push yourself too hard on this marriage thinking that your son needs a father. Living in bad relationship with the other parents is far more detrimental to the child. Try your best to build a happy home if all fails call it quits knowing fully well you did your best. When one door closes in life another opens.
    2) Take your time to heal from this pain. Invest in yourself as much as possible. Your son needs to see a happy mom. It is important for his development. So keep yourself on top priority. This is very, very important. I turned to yoga and spirituality to heal and it has helped me a lot.
    3) Realize that you cannot trust in your husband or family for any help during your times of need. So look out for yourself and for your son. Your son has nobody but you in life so you need to be strong at least for him.
    4) Try to be as financially independent as possible. Save up for yourself and your son. Don't try to give your financial independence.
    5) If your in-laws give you a lot of trouble keep them out of your life. Ignore taunts from your husband that you are denying him grand parents love. Was he a good dad first to ask for this royal treatment? Its first important that he has good parents. Grand parents come only after parents. Don't try to reconcile with your in-laws at the cost of your happiness. At all times save your sanity first.
    6) As much as possible try to not to wallow in self-pity and victimhood. This will lead you into depression. Accept the situation at its worse and rebuild your life.

I hope this helps. My best wishes to you. Do post back and we are here to support you as best as we can.

Take care,
    Kavya.

9. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Sowmya

Your post did bring tears in my eyes...

First thing I would like to say is...please do not look back! do not think about what all happened (just keep the past as a warning sign as a lesson learnt ) but dont make the past haunt you so much that you are scared to live your present and future.

Second thing, since how long you have been in India?

Being a father, and being grand parents am sure they would want to claim theier rights to the baby (whether they really cared for the baby or not..), So did your husband have a fight/argument or nagging discussion with you as to why are you not going to your inlaws house?? did he fight about how you are separating his kid from his grand parents??

How long is he going to be in India when he visits you guys?? is it a temporary or permanent visit??

sometimes for people like your husband, who are used to having someone at home who cook, clean and do stuff for them, where the husband has to not worry about anything except his work and enterntainment, he would surely miss your presence. however whether he really learnt his lesson or whether he really wants to change his behaviour we dont know unless you seriously ask him some questions.

Ask yourself what is it that makes you want to be in this marriage? What is it that he has to do for you to go back to him/ to even accept to live with him? What does your heart say? is it scared to go back? or does it say lets try one last time and if it doesnt work this time am sure I would blow out the whole thing!!!!

Also while preparing for the best , be ready to accept the worst. Think incase of worst, if you want to separate from him, are you ready to put up with the custody battle? a person who would go to any extremes of putting his wifes and kids life in danger to get the kids birth done at an auspicious time so that he can have a great life...he can go to any extremes/lengths to nag you or get to you!!! Are you prepared mentally and physically to face this battle? If not are you ready to share the custody of the kid? think how does it work? you in India and he in another country!!

Above all...List down things that you expect out of this marriage. Think of timelines that you can give to see some changes...observe what is your husband upto?? is he ready /willing to talk /discuss with you?? or is he all about lets patch up in hurry just to get it over with?? or is he all about my kid my kid etc? Observe these signals. Be ready to discuss your points and opinion with him and see his reaction. Ask him to explain how he is planning to make changes...not just a mere yes i will do it..or i will work on it...If things dont work out, would he be able to let you go your way with not much fuss about kid...discuss all these ahead so that he has to understand the sensitivity of the situation and also the seriousness.

Back of all this. Be prepared. Mentally be strong and physically eat good food and maintain good health. These 2 go a long way in handling anything...With empty stomach and weak mind..nothing can be worked out!

My personal opinion...Bluntly..I would say do your home work, about all the above, Discuss with him your points of change, You too need to just let go off all the hurtful past just try to keep all that aside and think you want to start fresh and GIVE IT A ONE LAST SHOT (might be think for the sake of your son). YES pls do put a time line for how long you are ready to do it..and not one day or one minute after that time line.

Hope things work out well and I pray to god to heal your wounds quickly..Take Care Dear!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  10. Anuradha00

Anuradha00 Bronze IL'ite

Sowmya,

I think the most important thing here is that you should do what you feel most comfortable doing. If you are not comfortable in this marriage then you should opt for separation. There is no point in trying for a reconciliation if your heart is not in it and you are only doing it for your son's sake and because you don't want your son to be a product of divorce.

If you go into reconciliation simply for son's sake but do it half-heartedly then your marriage is doomed. This will be more painful for your son. For now, he is used to having minimum interaction with his father and paternal grandparents. If you try to move back with your husband but do a half-hearted effort that fails then your son's situation will become worse as he would have become used to his father's presence and become accustomed to having both parents under one roof, only to have them separate again. This, in my opinion, is more devastating to your son's emotional well being.

Your husband was definitely in the wrong with his blind faith in astrology and demanding cesarean birth for his son but as you rightly point out you made mistakes as well. When you returned with your hubby after your first reconciliation you did not do so with full mind. In my opinion, you should never have gone back if you did not have even that basic trust in him to share your personal and financial details with him. This must have hurt him quite deeply especially if he was led to believe that you were returning to him only because you decided to give him his dues as your hubby and as the father of your child. This in turn must have adversely affected your marriage. You would have been better off if you had never gone back to him. So if you try at reconciliation again you should only do so if you are willing to have that basic trust in your spouse and are willing to be open and transparent with him just like he should be open and transparent with you. If that trust is just not there then you should not even be thinking about getting back together with him. It is not fair to you, it is not fair to him and most importantly it is not fair to your son.

Your son needs two strong and happy parents even if they are separated than two unhappy parents together. Children are more intelligent than we give them credit for and your son will pick up on your unhappiness and will be affected by it. You may not love your husband or even like him but your son will develop emotional connection with the father if they are together. So if you later decide to separate and then custody issues crop up, your son will be victimized by the quarrels and divorce proceedings of the parents.

For now, don't focus on your marriage. For now, just work on getting your priorities in order. Give yourself time to heal from the past and see if you can forge a friendship with your husband first. Take it one day at a time. Try to rebuild your relationship slowly (if you really want to) and give it your whole effort. But if you are just unable to trust this man again or if you just cannot bring yourself to even be friends with him then an amicable divorce may be in your, your husband's and your son's best interests. Just my opinion.