1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Spring Moonshine

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jun 2, 2015.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Lovely response kaniths. If you have looked at my replies to other commentators, you will doubtlessly realize that around the time the incident occurred, I was not yet a teacher prowling about in search of good students. I was myself a student wondering what to do with my own education. So the feeling of losing a good student was simply not present. I see it quite differently today of course. But it is too late now to rectify matters.

Best wishes to you for successful career. It was fun to know that you were born on Teachers' Day. I receive greetings on Teachers' Day once in a while. And I always forget the date!!

oj

1 person likes this.
  2. ojaantrik

Dear Sabita,

This was a heart warming response.

I have to admit frankly that the feeling I probably extracted from readers is paradoxical. This is so because I felt nothing at all when the event occurred. So, there was no question of a committed teacher being robbed of a willing student. Yet the feeling did surface decades later. It is funny in a way. For it reminds me of a joke. Apparently someone had tried to tickle a rhino. But the rhino felt nothing through the hard thickness of its skin. Yet, the tickle kept moving inside it slowly till after a day or two the rhino actually began to giggle. :)

Same case here I suppose. However, as I told Kamla, on a different plane it has affected me the way some may believe I am affected. I suddenly realized that Tagore had written a short story with almost the same message. It described exactly the same paradox I wrote about. I was delighted by my discovery, needless to say. And I felt that this is probably the best snippet that I have penned so far. I think for once I have come out of the confines of logical discourses and spoken right out of my heart.

Best wishes.

oj-da

1 person likes this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Nice Read Sir. You had narrated it well. It took us through the streets searching for the little girl too.. Thanks for the nice write-up.

Spring Moonshine
    with a sad tint
    still nostalgic...

After I read yours I realized that I have had the passion for teaching since young thought didn't pursue it as profession. I am happy that I was one of the initial volunteer in starting a non-profit organization that teaches a native language in our area. The immense satisfaction it imparts to see a child learn something that can never be taken away cannot be explained. I salute all the teachers for the same.

1 person likes this.
  4. ojaantrik

Thank you Pavithra. I am happy to know that it is my writing that got us acquainted. I love writing whenever I find the time. I think I enjoy writing more now than I enjoy(ed) teaching. Unfortunately, I don't get enough time follow up my hobby.

Best regards.

oj

1 person likes this.
  5. ojaantrik

Yes BeatClub,

I too hope she rose high and fulfilled her ambitions. There is no way I can discover the truth though. But whenever I pass that way, I can't help asking myself. To tell the truth, it's best that things remain this way. If I knew everything that happened, my snippet would be quite uninteresting to read!!

Regards.

oj

6. ojaantrik

You are right jskls. It brings great pleasure to impart knowledge to the uninitiated. I may have been lucky to have witnessed at a rather young age a student's eagerness to learn. But I felt the true import of it decades later. It's nostalgia for sure. Nostalgia that sends a hint of a tragedy from the distant past. Life affords to all of us an opportunity to choose out of many available roads ahead. Only, at the point of time the decision is taken, no one knows where the roads lead. Neither the girl knew, nor did I, where each of us would land 50 plus years on. That's life. Partly turbulent, partly peaceful and mostly uncertain.

Regards.

oj

2 people like this.
  7. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

OJ,

"Moonshine" not "moonlight" ? (informal word for secret night/evening job)
    After your wodehousian explanation on why you chose "moonshine" , instead of Bruce Willis' "moonlightening" (love that serial!), my monkeyshine has ventured to pen my thougths. I found this below latest post very interesting

Usually all kinds of philosophizing sinks as dross in my lumpen self but this particular statement floated for attention. I know what you are talking about. Infact, I define "regret": judging past actions with present experiences (which is absurd). Any decision one takes in life is not hermetic but imposed on temporal and spatial frame of mind that abuts on immediacy. How can a past decision so tightly coupled with place, time, mood and other factors be fairly judged today as ceteris paribus. I'm sure the variance in your introspection over a period of time/or this moment is caused by uprooting a scenario, flailing the dependencies , de-nature, and re-planting in topical soil. Would the harvested decision be different this time?

Was that a pointed source or ripple from a tickle?
    Because ripples build on fading crests, the action could have penetrated the skin but what tickled you years later could have been the ripple-affect from the incremental analysis of the situation over a period of time but not the originating source.

1 person likes this.
  8. ojaantrik

Sorry Aria. I didn't notice your comment because I was roaming elsewhere. Anyway, the way you ended your comment caught my attention. But it reminded me of what I have read about Tsunamis. How the tidal waves take route way down somewhere below the sea bed. It could have been that way and that's about the same thing as the rhino joke.

Are you an economist by the way? I ask this question because "ceteris paribus" is one of those expressions students of economics begin and end their lives with. Not that it doesn't have relevance elsewhere. But in sciences like physics, you can actually create a ceteris paribus environment to measure natural forces in action. Such as measuring gravity. Economists have to imagine that the rest of the world is watching in silence, when in fact it is not. Funny, isn't it?

This was wonderfully expressed and woefully difficult to respond to. The question is hypothetical. It could have harvested the same decision, it need not have. How should I know? All I know is that I didn't feel at the time what I feel (or probably others) feel now. This is why I ended the tale without a moral. As Cheeniya noted and I had said:

In fact, like Oscar Wilde, I don't believe in morals at all, especially when art is concerned.

I want to feel like an artist, not like a person who is trying to figure out the most accurate measure of gravity. I was quite amazed when I recognized a connection, however tenuous, between what I wrote and the way Tagore finishes his short story The Post Master. Here is the quote from the Gutenberg translation:

I don't know if you are satisfied with my response to questions. No one ever knows in any case.

oj

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

OJ nobody is a hero particularly when it comes to little girls who are ambitious but without means.Everyone is a moral coward at some point of time or other. It is unfair to expect exceptions. A great peice of journey into past.

1 person likes this.
  10. ojaantrik

Sorry Balajee for the delay in responding. You have a way of looking at the thing that is so different from others' points of view. And I think you are right. Everyone is a moral coward. Only, my case was worse. I didn't care at all for the girl. Nor did I feel the guilt. I cared, or thought I cared, when there was no point in caring anymore!! I guess that's Life.

oj