1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

A questionaire to Indian women settled in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Apr 15, 2009.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gayathri,
    Thanks for peeping in and answering. Yes, I could see the likemindedness of most of the Ilites who answered. Most of them also expressing their wish to be back to India. It seems the roots can't be up uprooted so easily even though some are under compulsion to stay.
    Thanks once again,
    Love,
    PS

2. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pushpavalli,

Here are my answers:-

1. Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch? She has milk and cereal for breakfast, western dishes for lunch at her daycare, Indian dishes in the evening for dinner.
    2. Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day? Nopes, I or my hubby cook every 2-3 days and have it for dinner when we come back from office...it saves us precious time in the night that we can spend with our lil one...:)
    3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out? Mostly I wear western dresses (because I'm used to wearing it from childhood in India..in fact I started wearing salwars in India only after I turned 20 or so...lol) ...but on special occasions I love to dress up in my Indian outfits...
    4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day? what's pottu? is it bindi or sindoor?...anyways no to both...but again, I don't do it in India too...never thought about it actually....
    5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on their own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice? I'll try to guide them to a degree that they can earn a living with...but at the same time I'll be open enough to accept if they want to choose an unconventional subject if they are passionate about studying it...
    6. Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things?No.
    7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children?I do...but because I always converse with everybody else in a mixture of Hindi and English, it is an uphill task to remember to converse only in Hindi with my kiddo....and then teach her how to speak Hindi....
    8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating? I will because I believe that one needs to get to know a person well before taking the momentous decision of marriage...if I think my child is old enough to marry, I hope she/he is old and mature enough to choose a good life partner who is compatible with her/him...besides, dating is common in India also...so its not just restricted to the western society....my hubby sometimes asks me what if our daughter decides to marry someone from another culture...and after thinking about it, I have told him that as long as the guy is nice and has his head on his shoulders, I would not object...
    9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year?for kids yes. For us, I prefer romantic dinners just for the two of us...:)

10. If given the option would you like to return to India? Even though I would love to be near family and friends, the con side that I am always reminded of in India whenever I go back for trips is the harrassment of women/ girls which puts me off ( I would hate for my daughter to suffer the horrible eve teasing that goes on in the Indian roads that I suffered during my teenage yrs and early 20's when I was in India) , the general rudeness and uncouth behavior of public officials...so still havent decided....:)

love,
    Aarushi

3. NidhiA

NidhiA Junior IL'ite

. Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch?
    Not really. Since they eat such stuff for lunch at school, I try to make Indian food at home

2. Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day?
    Yes

3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out?
    For work, yes. For Indian occassions prefer only Indian dresses.

4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day?
    Yes

5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on their own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice?
    Not there yet.

Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things?
    No

7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children?
    Yes, definitely

8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating?
    Not there yet

9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year?
    Try to, yes

10. If given the option would you like to return to India?
    Thinking about it.

Dear Ilites,

There is no compulsion to answer. You can freely post your opinion regarding this questionarie even if you do not want to answer.

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Nidhi,
    Thanks for dropping in answering.
    Love,
    PS

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Aarushi,
    Sorry that I missed your participation and so late in replying. Sorry to hear that you were subject to eve teasing.
    We can't brand all officials as rude and uncouth, but there are good ones also.
    Thanks for answering,
    Love,
    PS