1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Poem titled " SHE" - a tribute to girl child

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by ambika ananth, Nov 16, 2006.

1. ambika ananth

ambika ananth Bronze IL'ite

Dear friends,

This poem is in reponse to a mother's heartless act of throwing her girl baby in a dustbin, discarding her as a piece of torn rag...

The irony is police found her on the " children's Day'......

We women should hang our heads in shame

pray and wish for the safety of girlchild

She

Watery cushion cuddling her, she thrives

Her limbs grow at a silent natural pace

Closed are her eyes and tiny her ears
    Yet fully aware of life and its vibrations
    She doesn’t know the pangs of hunger,
    Her tiny pouch is filled without asking for
    She kicks gently and coos silently
    She is tenderly molded, perfectly modeled
    Wet and glistening like a pearl in an oyster,
    She is a magic of the creator
    Created within a mothers womb

The magic is gone
    The day she is born
    Seems she is a load too heavy
    Even to that woman who bore her for months
    Reasons are varied, result is the same
    She is left to the earth and winds
    By the mother who proceeds nonchalantly to
    Bear only sons!

Are such women
    Mothers or man – making machines?
    Women so heartless to finch at a girl
    But who don’t mind bleeding and dying for
    The pride called son!

Let such un – womanly women and their uncouth men
    Break down, vanish and get annihilated
    Heralding and welcoming the birth of a
    GIRL – Child
    Into a safe and halcyon world
    Where girls of any color and race are received with
    Joy, triumph and grace!
    Hail and happiness to thee oh girl child
    Welcome, welcome and welcome again!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2006

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

And Now Sarojini Naidu Has Come Out Of Her Mobile!

Dear Ambika,
    You have the knack of using simple words to convey something very profound; something the words were not originally destined to convey.
    I have been an avid reader of English poetry for some time. But I got vexed when poets started using very difficult words beyond the reach of prosaic people like me. I first started using dictionary for reference and then I found out I was reading more of the dictionary than of the poem.
    But I am at home with poets like you; to whom even small and simple words pay their homage and yield their fullest meaning to help you achieve your poetic mission.
    You pulled my heart strings with these words:
    She is left to the earth and winds
    By the mother who proceeds nonchalantly to
    Bear only sons!
    Are such women
    Mothers or man – making machines?
    Women so heartless to finch at a girl
    But who don’t mind bleeding and dying for
    The pride called son!
    Ambika, may your tribe increase!
    The tribe of women and the tribe of good poets like you.
    Thanks for giving us a good poem.
    Without you IL was very prosaic.
    love and regards,
    sridhar

3. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ambika,
    Its really a very good poem, expressing the thoughts of some good people with loving heart..
    The message of the poem affects our hearts intensely..
    We can pray for all the girl children not to face such situations..
    Thanks for sharing an excellent poem with us..

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

it is fabulous....

dear ambika,
    where surrogate mother and prayers of million kind going up for a child let alone boy or girl...there are many who would give any amount of money for a piece of that live something in their womb.. this poem has been a luxury to some to just discard and walk away in gender discretion...pity are those souls who having the pride of place in the world to contribute something lively should do this...it was heart rending to read but a nice piece....regards sunkan

5. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Beautiful poem..

Dear Ambika,

Nice to interact with you after a long gap.
    A beautiful poem this time.. I read the first 2 lines & the para again & again with my hands moving all over my tummy - it brings back all those wonderful memories of pregnancy.

but the last few paras brings tears. whenever I read about a girl child thrown into dustbin, my heart literally bleeds.. such woman are not only un-womanly they are un-humanly (inhuman). Inspite of education & so many awareness programmes, its unfortunate that a girl child is considered a curse in this society.

Let's pray for the girl child & pray for a change in the attitude of the society as well.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Ambika,

Really, what are these types of mothers....how can theybe so heartless....your poem brought tears to my eyes andmy heart is also heavy....how can one....?
    Anyway, i guess this is the reality called LIFE and we should pray and hope for the time when girls will notbe found in dustbin!
    Very well written poem :clap ...thanks for sharing with us and making us also share a moment with his unfortunate baby girl....hope she will be safe!

7. ambika ananth

thanks all the way...

Dear friends

We all feel a great desire to give vent to our strongest feelings, emotions and responses - my poem SHE was triggered by one such strong emotion and I feel very good that it evoked fine responses from you all.

To quote Mother Teresa -" The greatest tragedy of life is not hunger or disease, but to be unwanted.

Why are some girlbabies being born carrying the tag 'unwanted' along..?? Why are they being killed/discarded so ruthlessly..how can some women who themselves were 'girl babies' think on those grotesque lines..?? These questions haunt every conscentious member of the society, but the sad fact is, there are some women and some men who are so regressive and ruthless in their thinking, they perhaps may not think twice before indulging in the act of 'throwing their girl-babies' in a dustbin or a gutter..
    Yes, we all need to send out positive vibrations and welcome thoughts to save the lovely buds from withering and dying..

I thank each one of you again dear friends, for liking my poem and the thoughts it contains..
    Regards
    ambika

8. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

So fantastic

Dear Ambika,
    :clap You have poured your heart out in this poem.WheneverIi hear of girl foeteses being aborted there is a pang in my heart, I liked the para about man making machines,
    Keep up the good work.
    Regards,
    Meenu

9. ambika ananth

belated thanks

Dear Meenu

Thanks for your compliments. Somehow I was under the impression I thanked all the friends who responded and so I missed out on thanking you. Sorry about that..
    Pls be as prompt and sweet in your appreciation ..because kind words of appreciation work wonders.
    regards
    ambika

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Ambika,
    your poem is very nice. How could a mother do that to her child? The result of the female infanticide is now showing in States like Bihar, Punjab etc. There are so many men there who could not marry for want of girls. Punjab men are marrying women from Indonesia and Bihar men are getting brides from Kerala (I read an article about these two incidents in The Week).
    I hope our people wake up to this and stop female infanticide. But sad to say, I am seeing many reports in dailies about even male babies thrown in to ditches, marshy puddle etc. These all seem to be babies born out of wedlock. These she-demons could atleast leave the babies on the doorstep of any church or house or any such place, where the baby will not die.