1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A peep into the world of ghosts!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Beware people, this is a haunted thread - :boo:. I am running for my dear life :spin

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamla
    Talking of bottled spirits, someone told me why they were called spirits. If you had one too many of them, you start seeing ghosts and such other pleasant apparitions. Hence the name!
    I thought England was more famous for witchcraft. Dont they stand around boiling cauldrons and sing 'Fair is foul and foul is fair'? They always fly around in latest broomsticks and the automobile industry of UK is not able to compete with this popular mode of transport of witches.
    You are quite right about Exorcist. Every time I see it, I have difficulty in seperating my tongue from the upper palate!
    At this stage, I wish to clarify one point. The spirit that Chitvish is after is different from the ones that I study! By the way, you seem to know all the favourite songs of Spirits. Like Pepsi Uma, you too can present an exclusive programme on the TV channel of your choice for Spirits!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    Poonaikkum peikkum vidhyasam teriyada pedhaya neengal? What a pity! I am only worried that next time, you might keep a 'pei' on your lap and start petting it thinking it is a cat!
    If that girl next door had ended her life twenty years ago, she would have outgrown the 'kolusu' (anklet) wearing stage. May be you should look for snoring sound. But then, even grandmas wear kolusu today. I dont want them to feel offended by my remark.
    I do hope that 'Koozh Moru' finds a place in your Recipe Index.
    I agree with you that the ambience in Chottanikkara Temple is far from comfortable. When they show me 12" nails driven into a tree there by the devotees using their heads as a hammer, I become insane with fear.
    It is interesting that 'pei virattaradhu' is quite common in Madurai but when they are driven out, where do they go? Chennai?
    For a research scholar like me, a kaadal pisasu is no different from kolli vaai pisasu. I just look at them objectively!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,
    I was wondering at what time did you write this article----in the middle of the night?
    You didn't get enough sleep i guess.:hide:

Thanks for clarifying my doubt regarding the difference between 'aavi' and 'pei'.Big Laugh

Why do you need an explanation for the 'kadal pisasu'---it might catch you if you come to know the meaning of it--better to be ignorant in those cases.

On a lighter note, when my children were very young, one day, one of my daughter was crying at the middle of the night and i soothed her though. She stopped crying later on and i asked her why she was afraid at that time, For this she didn't answer but
    what she told me was 'looking at your eyes during that time' made me more afraidbonkhahaha...
    Am i a 'aavi'--the good one or 'pei' the bad one--uh?

sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri
    Yet another great thread and a hilarious one indeed.. IN any topic that you choose to write you always manage to make it more reader friendly and even in this "scary" topic you make us laugh. I have to ofcourse thank you for writing on one of my favorite topics because this used to be my trademark prank in college. Since I stayed at the hostel with dorm like rooms a couple of friends and I first started out to play an innocent prank on some other girls. So I borrowed an anklet that makes lots of noise and at night after the lights got switched off I used to walk up and down the corridor and then we "Aavi's " would quickly come back to our room.(to laugh). The hot topic next morning would be the ghost:shaking: visit the previous night. Ofcourse the talented person that I am :bowdownI perfected this prank by senior year. I even got a white dress material and jasmine flowers and even set the stage by telling new comers that our building was "haunted" as some young girl committed suicide some years back. So during my first trip at night, I will go with just anklets up and down and second trip will go with white material draped and jasmine flowers trailing.. dont ask me why.. usually I would stand for a minute near the end of the staircase as there was always someone "brave" opening the door and peeping out.:eek SO they could see the white form !!!!!!! But being the kind soul that I am this never went on for too long. Really If only someone had heard our group laughing so loud they would have discovered our prank earlier. Now I am truly tempted to try this prank out on the unsuspecting inhabitants of my home, but the differences would be that these 2 males dont hear as well at night, what with their snoring and their preference to sleep soundly, and also I would definetly have to be called Bhooodam. Big Laugh

6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Naughty AC - I can guess your favorite festival must be Halloween!:crazy

7. sreshta

sreshta New IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,
    Very brave attempt!
    There is no end to man's imagination .He only ceates ghosts, gives them different names and then is scared of them!:spin
    I'll add afew to the list:Mohini pisasu,Vethaalam and the jealous one which drinks blood-Yakshi:shaking:
    I don't know what is kollivaai pisasu.
    I think Mayavi is one who plays tricks or does mayajaalam with the aavis.
    Shiveringly
    Sreshta

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

AC,

You did not mention if you were singing any of the songs....like ayega ayega...aane wala....or naane varuven....hahahaha

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: A peep into the world of the Dead!

Sri,
    The middle east people still have so much belief in genie.

Regarding ghost busters, there is a silent chain of them even in Chennai. and not only ghost busting they are into other activities, like black magic and other things...and there was an cover story on the week last year or before...how even the highly educated fall prey to the same.

Kollywood is really considerate.and hollywood is definitely cruel..You forget the latest THE RING and its sequel....you actually don't see any gooey make ups but makes you lose your sleep for days....

(My kids, they got their doses of horor movies because MIL was ardent fan of horror and they still watch horror serials and movies, though they scream and shout when scared)

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,
    well, this is a scary subject with many even in this age.
    I remember people scaring me in my childhood saying that there are peis in the tamarind tree, maruthani plant etc. It will hold onto any girl who goes anywhere near those plants in the afternoon. May be those were tactics to keep the girls indoors when the mothers had their afternoon siestas. I used to make a big racket at night, having nightmares after reading such stories in the Ambulimama magazine then. My mother used to scold me very much then and that mag. was banned.
    Then I came over that fear by walking thro the back yard of our home (kollai) at night.
    Mohini pisasu is a particular female pei(?) speceis, which is fond of bachelors who go out at night ( created to prevent boys from venturing out at night, may be!)
    My husband works in shifts ffor the past 28 years and come home alone at all odd hours in the night. He says that the only pei he had met is (who else?) me!
    Now the tv serials show even more new variety of peis, which are fun to watch.

1 person likes this.