1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Monks Story

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by meera2503, Mar 27, 2008.

1. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

A monastery has fallen on hard times. It was once part of a great order which, as a result of religious persecution in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, lost all its branches.It was decimated to the extent that there were only five monks left in the mother house: the abbot and four others, all of whom were over seventy. Clearly it was a dying order.

Deep in the woods surrounding the monastery was a little hut that the Rabbi from a nearby town occasionally used for a hermitage. One day, it occured to the abbot to visit the hermitage to see if the Rabbi could offer any advice that might save the monastery. The Rabbi welcomed the Abbot and commiserated." I know how it is," he
    said, "the spirit has gone out of people. Almost no one comes to the
    synagogue anymore.'

So the old Rabbi and the old Abbot wept together, and they read parts of
    the Torah and spoke quietly of deep things.

The time came when the Abbot had to leave. They embraced. "It has been wonderful being with y ou," said the Abbot, "but I have failed in my purpose for coming.Have you no advice that might save the monastery?". "No, I am sorry," the Rabbi responded, "I have no advice to give.The only thing I can tell you is that the Messaiah is one of you".

When the other monks heard the Rabbi's words, they wondered what possible
    significance they might have. "The Messiah is one of us? One of us, here,
    at the monastery? Do you suppose he meant the Abbot?
    Of course -- it must be the Abbot, who has been our leader for so long. On the other hand, he might have meant Brother Thomas, who is certainly a holy man.Or could he have meant Brother Elrod, who is so crochety? But then Elrod is very wise.
    Surely, he could not have meant Brother Phillip --- He's to passive. But then, magically, he's always there when you need him.

Of course he didn't mean me --- yet supposing he did? Oh Lord, not me! I couldn't mean that much to you, could I?

As they contemplated in this manner, the old monks began to treat each other with extraordinary respect, on the off chance that one of them might be the Messiah. And on the off chance that each monk himself might be the Messiah, they began to treat themselves with extraordinary respect. Because the forest in which it was situated was beautiful, people occasionally came to visit the monastery, to picnic or to wander along the old paths, most of which led to the dilapated chapel. They sensed the aura of extraordinary respect that surrounded the five old monks, permeating the atmosphere. They began to come more frequently, bringing their friends, and their
    friends brought friends. Some of the younger men who came to visit began to engage in conversation with the monks. After a while, one asked if he might join.

Then another, and another.Within a few years, the monastery became once again a thriving order, and thanks to the Rabbi's gift --- vibrant, authentic community of light and love for the whole realm.

Extracted from :-
    The Art of Possibility - Rosamund Stone Zander & Benjamin Zander

sindmani likes this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Meera,

A wonderful story that i have not read before.Good u brought it in front of us.

Yes heaven is within us, we dont have to go to looking for uit.What a nice moral this story tells us.pls post more such posts.

Regards.kamal

3. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Meera,

What a lovely post with a deep meaning.

The very message that people living together start respecting each other then what a wonderful place this would be. Instead of finding faults its always good to see the positive side of a person. a positive approach enriches us and our surroundings.

Roopa.

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Meera,
    This was a wonderful story.Conveyed the inner meaning....We can solve our on issues when we look deeper within ourselves.....

Thanks for posting,keep them coming.

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Meera,
    thanks for bringing this story...
    it clearly shows that the answer for any problem lies within ourselves...
    sometimes it needs the help of others to point it out...

sriniketan

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Nice story with a greater soul searching meaning !!!

Thanks Meera, never heard it before...

Self respect, respecting others will make this world a very better place !!!

7. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Beautiful story. kanaka

8. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Even I agree with the thought that all problems have solutions and the solution is within us.

A thought provoking post.

9. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite

Dear Meera,

It is a wonderful story with a very good moral.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers,
    Lakshmi.

10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Meera
    A nice story. Answers to our problems are within us we need not go somewhere in search of the answers