1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A lil different and very shocking life

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shobhamumbaikar, Apr 7, 2015.

1. SwornToSecrecy

SwornToSecrecy Silver IL'ite

This is classic case of what happens when you depend on others. Remember that once your in your adulthood, NO ONE will take care of you. You have to take care of yourself. Put yourself first, put your needs first. That is not a selfish thing to do, but the right thing to do. (asking others to put your needs first is the selfish thing to do , just fyi)
    If she is having medical issues, she and her husband needs to get a nurse or a someone who can specially take care of her, instead of simply relying on parents. ILs are not caregivers/servants. Parents are also not caregivers/servant. You have to do everything by yourself these days. (Also when ILs and parents become old, You are also not a care giver/servant)

2 people like this.
  2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

This particular observation of yours can give very valuable insight into diffferent cultures.

Every piece of knowledge is NOT documented or always available in books. This is so so true of India.

This is one of the most important distinctions I find between life in India and life in US. Everything that is to be learnt does not come from books, we are not coached by parents/teachers on everything that one needs to do. It comes from observation with an open mind. The society teaches us a lot. For example no parent is going to tell his child how to get a seat on a crowded bus/train. The child will learn by observation. In US, you will get a book/video/maps to learn how to go by train/bus. Its definitely more streamlined but learning on the go has its advantages.

Did you know we do not "read books" to our babies/toddlers? We tell them stories. They listen and absorb the information. This particular learning form - listen, learn and memorize is so absent in the US and I suspect in many of the west european nations. I miss this in US and I feel bad for my kids.

The reason why I bring this up here is that you will never find books or atleast its hard to come by in the English languages for the many things that we do in India, although its all very relevant and makes a lot of sense to us. Childbirth and its attendant rituals falls in this category too.

The model that you suggest will not work in India/US because of the following reasons:

1. Absence of prenatal classes

2. Absence of the concept of paternity leave. We live in the US but my husband did not get any paternity leave at all.

3. Short maternity leave - My friend from German is entitled to take 4 years,yest that's right, 4 years of maternity leave to care for kids. That is unheard of, in India.

4. Lack of government assistance - I am told European nations pay new moms an allowance to make up for loss of pay if they quit jobs to take care of the baby. THis again extends to 4 years!! My friend from Austria used to be able to make use of this money to pay for preschool.

5. Absence of reliable day-cares - We need parents' assistance in raising kids if mom is working full time. We do not have reliable day cares in India.

6. Absence of a social security system - Elderly people do not receive a pension from the government unlike many countries. The exception is government employees. So elderly parents are dependent on their children in their golden years. There are no assisted homes that are affordable to most people.

Europeans have the government to provide for a lot of things, Indians have their family which includes grandparents.

PS: In India the mom goes to her parents' place for delivery, not the other way round. Parents' coming and living with children happens only in US due to logistical considerations.

5 people like this.
  3. SwornToSecrecy

SwornToSecrecy Silver IL'ite

If so called "males" cant handle a baby then they shouldnt get married and have one. For the "males" who do have babies, they better get thier act together and start taking care of it. Stop making stupid excuses for themwaitingsmiley

2 people like this.
  4. tarasharma

tarasharma Gold IL'ite

@SwornToSecrecy, @Crayoness

There is no different genetic set up. Its more of a social mindset or conditioning. Some things are done differently in India. In Indian Tier 2 or Tier 3 cities and villages, it is quite unheard of the husband accompanying the wife in the labour room.

I do agree the one should be self sufficient and do everything by oneself. However, In India when logistics permit, parents or PILS do not view staying with their son or daughter as a disruption in their schedule. We also do not treat it as an "invasion" of our homes. Sure, if they are not comfortable, it is fine. However mostly if parents can travel or live in another state, then they do "help" out. This is more so in case of the first delivery. No one is comparing them to caregivers or servants. Please do not use such terms.
    Can a caregiver or servant provide the new mother with much needed emotional support?

5. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

My rumblings about not finding in books knowledge is about the fact that most of the documented history and culture is about men. Their kings, their wars, the economy etc and most of the womens life go undocumented. I would love to come to India to give birth but that is impossible so I have to rely on written information. And to some extent also told stories from my indian friends. Oral traditions have been strong everywhere - for example Iceland sagas, Kalevala epos and Brother grimms fairytales are stories handed down for generations. Parents still tell stories but of course also read books/watch films.

Prenatal classes, daycare, maternal/paternal leaves etc are all quite new concepts in western europe. Pensions been along for a little bit longer but it is not the government (except for government employees) paying. You pay yourself a mandatory fee from your monthly salary. When my mother retired her pension was minimal (as she was considered a housewife because she was a farmer) so we had to Support her during her golden ages. My father had left savings and my mother would have died of shame if she would have known that her children are paying for her living. We were able to do it very discreetly so she never knew.

I understand that delivery in rural India is a different story. Without Access to medical care the Support of other is essential. But when we are talking about families living in metros/abroad with a decent income, Access to medical care (and pre/postnatal Support) - why this big fuss about the "help" needed for delivery? There are no paternal leaves but the father can take from the annual leave (this is what the guys in the office been doing). We (our office in India) have (if I remember correctly) 3 months maternity leave (which is of course very short).

Yes, I have read stories here about the expecting mother first travel to her parents Place and then she is shipped to the inlaws. Where is the father, what the point to travel with a small infant. Why can't the mother be allowed to stay in her home with her spouse and enjoy her baby in peace?

4 people like this.
  6. butterflyice

I agree with you that much of womens' life is undocumented. I dont understand though why you should want to give birth in India.

My rumblings was of course not about your rumblings. It has to do with this notion of everything that has to be learnt has to come from books and if it is not documented, then it does not exist. Did gravity not exist until it was documented? Whether something is documented or not, what exists will exist. Books are a great resource of knowledge and information, no doubt but they are not the only repository of information.

Your mother probably thought it shameful to live off her children because of your cultural set- up where children are not considered part of the family once they turn 18. In India, you are always part of the family that you are born in, even after you are dead and gone. We have ceremonies that invoke the dead over 7 generations. We remember and honor them. Its a beautiful tradition that can be understood only if an honest attempt is made toward understanding nuances of other cultures.

In India, parents are proud of children taking care of them. In fact they would feel ashamed if the children left home at 18 and didnt care a hoot about their parents or siblings. Just going to work and earning a paycheck and taking care of spouse and children does not confer the title of being a responsible person. Taking care of parents is one of the most important responsibilities for us. In fact my FIL not only took care of his own parents but also of his uncle and aunt and their granddaughter when she was orphaned. I am extremely proud of him and feel honored to have married into a family that values duty and relationships.

I do not know about oral traditions in Finland, however in US I definitely havent seen any Oral learning happening. Its not mere storytelling in India, its learning. If you have had the chance to see how Vedic learning happens, no one takes notes. Everyone repeats after the teacher and memorises. This extends to secular learning at schools too. AFAIK only the Jewish community does this in US while learning the Torah.

What looks as hassle to you is not a hassle to us. Celebrating birth or death without company is a punishment to us. A mother can enjoy her baby only when her mother is around. When a woman becomes a mother, her mother does not cease to exist. Its a beautiful moment to realise what your mother means to you now that you are a mother. I missed my mom more than anyone else when I had my baby. My husband is a great guy, he helped me a lot, however he is not my mother. The emotional bonding that one enjoys with mother is unique and does not go away at any point of time, be it at 18 or at 80.

5 people like this.
  7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

From where did you get that that children are not considered part of the family when they turn 18? Children grow up and at some point they move out and build their own family/home. It does not happen when they turn 18, it depends on the studies, financial means etc. Of course the teenager is waiting eagerly to be able to be independent but usually they have to wait til their 20s.

My mother would have felt shame that she as a strong independent lady who had worked all her life is not able to provide for her living. Due to an archaic law (that was later changed) she only got a very minimal pension. We did not have a problem of supporting her also financially but we tried to take into account her feelings. Taking care of aging parents is a norm here also but you have also to respect the parents wishes to be as independent as possible.

I do not see what is wrong getting knowledge from written sources. For example in the pregnancy/child care there have been a lot of research. Child mortality has been reduced significantly by improving the prenatal and child care practises. Of course you need to be critical and not believe everything what is written. My daughters have been very actively made their homework regarding child care/rearing so they are experts in that area. My knowledge is partly outdated.

If you check the OP you can see that this having parents/inlaws coming is a hassle for the parties. Of course as a grandparent you want to be with your grandchild but you have to respect the fact that it is most important that the baby bond with his/her parents. We grandmothers can wait :D. And if my daughter would be telling me that I am more important to her than her hubby I would be very concerned and feel that I have failed as a mother. A parents task is to raise the children to become independent so they can bond with their own family.

4 people like this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@CrayoNess

I know this is a tricky situation.

I had the luxury of having my mom beside me for nearly 1 year after my first child was born, and for 4 months after my second one was born. Whereas, my sister and brother had their kids around the same time; thus they had to manage the whole episode on their own+some hired helps.

Now, I feel much better that I didn't have to worry much about my health or my kids during my mother's stay with me. Although I was perfectly all-right 5 days after both of my c-sections, and there were no restrictions from the doctors except heavy weight lifting for 6 months, I was still pampered by my mom. I enjoyed being pampered, specially at that tiring times.

I never suffered that much sleep deprivation, never lost my me-time, never give up the fresh hot meals, and what not.

I concentrated mostly on getting back my pre-pregnancy shape, exclusively breast feeding the kid, got back with my career passion... In fact, nothing stopped from being myself because I had a tiny baby at home. My mom was living there as a mother substitute for my kids, and it was indeed a blessing to leave your kid in a safe hands other than trusting someone outsider.

However, this support came with a package called 'issues, rifts, misunderstanding, emotional abuse, etc..etc...; That is natural.

Once my mom moved in with us, I slowly detached with my husband. During the initial days, my husband would sleep in the guest room by allowing mom to share our bedroom together on the pretext of helping the baby.

Since mom will solely concentrate on my meals, and health.. naturally my husband felt missed out at his own home. His loneliness was then taken cared by his parents.

Instead of inter-depending on each other during this most important time, we depended on someone else. That mostly affected our marriage life.

Whereas, my siblings found it extremely uncomfortable to sail all alone with a tiny newborn. They shared their emotions, specially the fear, happiness, sadness and over joyfulness together as couple. In fact, every day with a tiny baby was difficult. There were so much sleepless nights, hard work at home during the little time when baby is sleep in order to compensate the over spent time with the baby. Therefore, physically and mentally tired.
    Frequent hospital trips, mistakes, guilt feelings with the baby, shock treatments and what not. It is never an easy job to handle a newborn. They missed mom every seconds, but they let her stay with me since I had other complications.

But they somehow sailed this tough journey together as couple. So, when they reached their destination, they were so much bonded, and in love as a united family than us.

3 people like this.
  9. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Very well said....every approach had its pros n cons....we cant say one is better than the other...we can just try to understand the others ways....

1 person likes this.
  10. butterflyice

@crayoness, You have misread my entire post.

What works for you and your family in your country does not work for us.

You must note that none of us here insist on you following our practices. Why do you insist that we follow what your country practises?

What exactly entitles you to roughshod the Indian way of doing things and impose what you believe to be true? This is not limited to this post but in all posts where there are specific Indian ways of doing things.

If I went about on and on about how the Indian way of doing things is the best way to do stuff on an American forum, I know for sure that the response I get there will be very different from what you get here.

5 people like this.