1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Foodie's Reflections On Food And Rituals

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Nov 21, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

After a very long time, I had the good fortune this morning of eating phulkas directly off the fire. Being a foodie at heart, but a healthy eater by practice, I normally avoid using butter or ghee. But the piping hot phulkas brought back of those eaten in my childhood with home made ghee on it. A foodie cannot resist such temptations, but making a concession to healthy eating, I liberally smeared two phulkas with Nutralite (manufacturers are you listening? You could consider giving me a small percentage off your sales for voluntarily promoting your product!!!!!) and ate it with piping hot mixed vegetable gravy (cauliflower, capsicum, potato, peas, carrot, beans and soya paneer).

To say my soul was touched would be an understatement of the day. "Annadaata sukhi bhava" automatically sprung to mind. It was a sudden reminder of the original meaning and sentiment behind these seemingly simple Sanskrit phrase which is so loaded with gratitude and fulfillment. When I said it today, it came from the bottom of the heart and I really understood not only the literal meaning, but also the full contentment and joy that brings out the blessing for the one provides us food.

Talking of which I was also reminded of a Marathi prayer which we are taught to say before every meal in childhood. It goes:

Vadani kawal gheta naam ghya Srihariche
    Sahaj hawan hote naam gheta phukache
    Jeevan kari jivitva anna he poornabrahma
    Udarbharan nohe janije yadnya karma

This is a prayer which reminds you to remember the Lord when taking every morsel of food. It says, taking the name of the Lord while eating makes eating an act of offering or a "havan". Anna (or food) is the complete God principle which bestows life on the living. Remember eating is not just an act of filling your stomach, it is a yagnya karma.

If we were only to remember this everyday, it would help us to respect our stomachs and bodies and offer good, nutritious and healthy food instead of just overloading and stuffing ourselves silly.

It reminds one to sit quietly in one place in a happy frame of mind with family and/or friends and eat every morsel of food with gratitude to the ones who helped put this food on your plate and with consideration for the body which needs it as fuel. Treat your stomach with due respect, not as a dumping ground. Treat the food which you get with the same respect. Don't waste food. There are many who are not so fortunate as you.

Let us first thank God for having given us rains that helped the crops, the means to buy our food, the farmer who sowed the seed and harvested the crop, the bread winner who earned us the food and the one who toils in the kitchen to put the food in edible form on the table.

2. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Vow! They look yummy! And yes, a prayer before every act of ours is something fundamental to our religion and it does work wonders.
    Love
    Malathi

3. satchitananda

Thanks Malathi for the prompt feed back. :)

4. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear satchi,

Very sweet and appetizing reflections!!!-
    The Marathi prayer and it's essence brought out by you has added more insights into the otherwise hasty day-to-day ritual of 'on the go eating'!
    Keep more such flowing!
    Saras

5. satchitananda

6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A very yummy and deeply reflective post!!

I loved the last line
    Let us first thank God for having given us rains that helped the crops, the means to buy our food, the farmer who sowed the seed and harvested the crop, the bread winner who earned us the food and the one who toils in the kitchen to put the food in edible form on the table.

especially also remembering to thank the breadwinner and the person who cooked the food :)

Akila

7. sudhakrishna

sudhakrishna Gold IL'ite

Hey really mouth watering. Anna dhatha suki bava.

8. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

dear satchi,
    if the food looks yummy, the blog is yummier still loaded with the most beautiful sentiment, a human being can ever hope to have, gratitude. Anna dhaatha sukhi bhawa is a psalm, a prayer and a benediction.
    Brahmins fast on the Ekadasi day (the 11th day after New Moon/Full Moon) and the dvadashi day they eat food early in the morning only after worshiping Annam as Brahmam. The verse lifted from Taithriya Upanishad says,
    "From the food are all the beings born.
    And food sustains those that are born.
    At the end the beings die and are eaten by food."
    (This refers to the fact that in whatever way we dispose the dead, burial or cremation, it goes back to the earth as manure and or fertilizer)
    So the cycle gets repeated again and again. We eat the food and then the food eats us.
    thanks for stirring up such thoughts in my mind.
    And yes welcome back to the world of blogging after a long time. The blog space had lost its sheen due to your absence.
    sridhar

9. satchitananda

Absolutely Akila, if we don't reflect on these, we would take food for granted, wouldn't we. It would be so sad to forget the effort it takes to put the food on the table - how many criticize food just for the sake of cribbing. Good to remind ourselves once in a while. :-D Remember to thank them and see the smile it brings to their face.

10. satchitananda

Thanks Sudha. :)