1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A day in the Life of a ...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

A day in the life of a …….homemaker.

On a normal day I would not have minded the term 'housewife' (po-tay-toes, po-tah-toes…what's the difference?). But today I want to make myself feel better about my occupation, hence the modern usage of the term.

Today was just one of those days! I overslept by about half an hour, and was woken up by my daughter (how is it that they watch Wimbledon and the Football World Cup but still manage to be up and about, whereas I watch neither but cant sleep because the "house" has not gone to sleep, and so cant wake up in time?). Anyway, I managed to send both of them out by 8 (cereal for her and upma for pathidev. Me? I like neither but couldn’t be bothered to make anything else, so decided to join the upma guy).

It was "maid" day (so more work for me too, something which my hubby finds weird) so I started off with detailed dusting and cooking. This was more or less completed when the maid texted me that she couldn’t make it. I called her up asking whether she could manage at least one hour, when she started "Ma'am, I had to go to the clinic, my kidney..."
    "Okay fine", I said, and hung up (following the principle of speak no lie and hear no lie very seriously), thinking how is it that I manage only a cold and fever while they have such interesting health problems ("Aaspathri ku ponnen akka" back in India and here "I went to the clinic, ma'am". Again, what's the difference?). I smiled to myself, thinking like Miss Marple from Agatha Christie's books - "People are the same everywhere".

"Well, that’s it!" I said to myself, looking at the clock. I shall just clean the kitchen and vacuum the house. Look at the bright side, I told myself. I should be free by ten, and then yayyy, I could just sit with my PC. As if I would let such small things like the maid not coming spoil my day!

I put on some fast, groovy music (it should lift up my spirits, right?), and suddenly remembered that one packet of milk had burst open in the semi-freeze compartment of my fridge last night, but I had decided it could wait till the morning to be cleaned up. I cleaned the tray, threw the broken packet away, and removed the other packet of milk. And you won't believe it…the d*** thing fell from my hands, and the whole kitchen floor was flooded with milk. I had therefore lost two packets of milk in the last 12 hours. (10 Ringetts - that could have bought a decent meal for at least three beggars back in India. Sigh!)

But there was no other go; I had to wash down the kitchen now. I was still not too upset, and started humming along "un mela aasai dhaan" from Aairathil Oruvan. I have been humming only this first line (not able to catch the other lyrics) for the last three days, and I recalled with a smile that my dd had said in the morning "Amma, please just sing something else!" and I had argued " Hey, it is a catchy tune and much better than you going gaga over Lady GaGa, okay?" (How can anyone with a name like GaGa be a Lady? Huh?).

Anyway I threw two buckets of water and picked up the broom. But one sweep and the thing breaks (I am left stunned, staring at the handle in my hand and the brush in the puddle of milk and water). Oh my God! This is too much, I thought, but managed to clean up the mess with our Indian broom (sometimes nothing like our good old brooms, I thought very patriotically).

Sweeping away vigorously, I thought "Ye jeena bhi koi jeena hai, lallu?" Today, if they come in the evening and I hear "You are the queen of everything you survey, and the whole house is your kingdom" from darling hubby or "Amma, you are the luckiest…you can read, go online, download anything you want, watch television the whole day and all this with no restrictions" from my dearest daughter, they would surely hear a LOT from me. They had BETTER watch out!

"Why is it that there are such days?" I thought calmly, over a glass of juice, after all the sweeping, mopping, loading and unloading of the dishwasher and the washing machine was all finally done. The internet had played truant and the curry had a tad too much salt. Could it get any worse?

But I needed no one to answer that, it was obvious - so that you realize how absolutely LOVELY the other days are, you silly! As simple as that!

And as Kamalji would say, "See Mindi, you got a topic to blog on".:)

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Mindian,
    Let me the first person to give fb. Yet another wonderful post from you. I know its really really difficult life for a home maker. Its much easy to work in any stringent timelines than living a normal home maker life.
    Though I dont have any experiece of home maker, but at times I feel the pain during weekends.

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes Mindi dear:kiss:kiss you really got a topic to blog....:biglaugh:biglaugh
    Sorry sweetheart for laughing, but what to do this is the truth with the housewife.
    When the whole family is back home we finish cleaning all the mess, put up a cheerful smile on the face and back ready to invite the the birds which had gone out in the morning back home in the evening.
    When we sit to tell the story of what has happened today at home you will just get to hear from them good you finished cleaning the whole kitchen so don't have to looking into it for a few day:rantor you will get to hear oh looks like you are tired lets get dinner from out blah blah.
    Sweeping away vigorously, I thought "Ye jeena bhi koi jeena hai, lallu?":biglaugh:biglaugh
    what a perfect song for the situation............
    What is life all about feel like running away sometimes. Especially when the servant tells you she will not be coming today becoz you are ready for her remove some extra work so that they will do all and go na......
    Hugs and kisses to you my dear, but your post was hilarous, funny and what not....hehehehe

4. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Heyyyy Mindi

I can hear myself talking through your post!! Absolutely loved it. I too thought in the beginning about what Kamalji would have said to you reading this because we know that blogs follow us all the time !

This was the super highlight of your post:
    our Indian broom (sometimes nothing like our good old brooms, I thought very patriotically).
    I did all the chores along with you and had a good laugh as well. Poor thing, all mishaps collectively planned on making your day one hell of an experience na? Sorry to hear that :-(. Its wokay ma!

The more posh and sophisticated sounding title HOMEMAKER - yeah I fancy that too. Make sure to have oru big tumbler of Bournvita before hitting the bed.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  5. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Oh My dear Mindi!!

Sorry but could not control :biglaugh:biglaugh
    By the way, I very much appreciate your patriotism :rotfl

I visualised you standing with the handle alone :rotfl:rotfl

Atlast you found out the reason for the happenings too:thumbsup How smart ?!!!

I bet it is tough to be a home maker:)

I enjoyed it thoroughly Mindi

6. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi:

You forgot to mention when you found the time to write this post. I kept reading you with deep attention, trying my level best not to laugh audibly at least (for my computer hating wife has started to believe that the latest strain in my established lunacy is this habit of speaking with the computer), and soon enough I had read you through completely. I don't mean you as in you, I hope you understand. I read through everything you had written and there was no indication at all about how you managed to repair the computer that had slipped out of your hands and crashlanded on the floor that still bore mild traces of the milk you denied your begging countrymen.

You have good reason to call yourself a housemaker. You appear to have razed your apartment, house, palace or whatever to the ground and reconstructed it before your family arrived to watch World Cup plus Wimbledon over a slightly spicy curry. Did they realize that they had walked back into a house that was brand new? Except for the broken broom handle, it seems that everything else was refurnished.

Good work lady. Keep it up. But teach me please how you wrote this post in the midst of the raging war. However much I scowl at my computer, I never end up writing anything at all for days on end. And this makes me scowl at the rest of the world too. But look at you! You keep shining like the midday sun while the world sinks in torrential rains.

Are you running a school by any chance for the failures of the world? If so, they could all unite under your umbrella a la the famous Manifesto. How much do you charge for each lesson friend? Will you give me a discount please?

oj-da

7. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,
    Every word in your post not only speak the truth but made me laugh to the core. You are becoming the "Humorous queen of IL. Your narration about the maid takes the cake.
    Perhaps one of the most overlooked and yet important applications of the Human Life Value is that of the homemaker. While a particular agent may calculate that a business person needs one million dollars of life insurance because they are expected to earn that amount over a 30 year career, at times, this same person may sell a ten-thousand dollar policy to a family, on the homemaker, for burial; completely ignoring the Human Life Value.
    My motto is,
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] If you are unhappy with the idea of staying home start today by concentrating on reasons you like being at home. You'll be surprised how many reasons you can come up with! More importantly you'll find your attitude adjusting to the positive aspects your role is and its ideal place in the home. [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]Now read Mindi's post, Am I right?
    with love
    pad

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear priya,

Sounds like you are one lucky working girl. Well to be really honest it is not So bad .this was just one of those bad days that are there in any occupation.only thing is it is SO monotonous ,never ending and dull.If you find interesting things to do in between it is okay.but a working womans life automatically becomes interesting ,i feel since I have been both places.:)
    thanks dear for the first comment.

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear Aruna,

thanks for all those hugs and kisses dear.hahahah I needed them badly.only one of our kin will understand what I am talking.

put up a cheerful smile on the face and back ready to invite the the birds which had gone out in the morning back home in the evening.

hey that was really poetic.:) wish we were birds too,no sometimes.:)

you will get to hear oh looks like you are tired lets get dinner from out blah blah.

hahaha you are SO right.in fact since I had already written about it here so it went out of my system and that topic never even came about.today morning only both of them knew about my day.

. Especially when the servant tells you she will not be coming today becoz you are ready for her remove some extra work so that they will do all and go na......

servants? dont even talk to me about them. everywhere same problem.:)

10. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hahaha Mindi

What a piece... as usual. Looks like you peeped into my house on anyday.DH says its Murphy's law whenever I ask ..."why me of all the people and why now of all the days?"

I imagined you cleaning the kitchen humming the song.

That was a good one abt Lady Gaga:rotfl! Only you can think up in those lines.

Love
    V