1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Court Jester in a Board Room!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 14, 2007.

1. PriyaKat

PriyaKat Silver IL'ite

What made me open this post of yours was the number of comments listed against it. Just 9 ? Unbelievable ,considering that your posts generally garner nothing less than two dozen.

KSM's story is unfolded in a nice, unhurried ,old fashioned way, that is just right for a lazy weekend reading. I liked the way KSM grew into the situations thrust upon him , be it the study of history or the stress-laden position of head honcho.And it was nice visualising Akbar not turning a hair in despair in the hot Delhi air, inspite of his kilos of jewelry , layers of clothing and the often practically vexing practical jokes of his impractical jester.

The trick of reversing the chart to show a more optimistic design was in an old cartoon strip drawn by R.K.Laxman . Ofcourse, though the cartoon made us laugh, we never got to know the consequences of it in the cartoon boardroom. Now I know. They certainly dint laugh and live happily ever after ! Least of all, the poor, sartorially-abused jester himself ! Perhaps Akbar's boardroom had more tolerant members.

1 person likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

After reading this post, I have come to the same conclusion that it is the best of your posts. It is remarkable that you compared Akbar's court with the board room. It is a wonderful idea to have a board member with a responsibility to keep the board room in lighter mindset. With people of varying experience, the time they have to discuss wide variety of topics, dominance of specific board members, etc. no doubts the board meetings are always conducted in a tense situation. We need someone who would break the tension and have all the board members in good humor.

The biggest problem generally faced by the executive board members is their need to brief the external board members all over again on information which was already furnished to them in writing. Mostly, it is very common that a lot of members come unprepared to the board meeting either due to lack of time or their lack of interest in the subject matter. However, when the executive board ask them a question whether they had a chance to review the information sent earlier, they invariably say "yes" or "briefly". No one admits that they never read. Sometimes, I feel they should be tested by sending some irrelevant information with graphs and find out how they answer when such question was asked at the beginning of the meeting.

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,

It is a gem of an article.KSMs do exist....yes you are right, in the rich belt of Godavari Districts. I also read some anecdotes about them.

What I liked most in the article....we all need stress busters to face problems in a better way. It cools the mind...when the mind is cool we can take better decisions and cope up with life. And sense of humour makes big problems look like small ones. In one of the books of Lin Yu Tang......he recommends showing cartoon films and make them laugh for a while to the parliamentarians before the session. Of course that is way back when they belonged to a different clan and not like the present ones.

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

A very ineresting article Sri sir!
    A classic example of "moderation is key"!
    While it was a good idea to keep the Board room atmosphere more friendly and light, the purpose and the nature of the gathering should never be forgotten.
    There can be no better example than this article to portray that!
    Many times we have seen too many jests at the wrong time and place. Some people think that if laugh at their first joke we will do for the next few and do not know their limit.
    Whenever I find myself in that situation i will always remember this aticle sir.
    I will also narrate this to my sons if and when the need arises to tell them the need for discretion.

I too have seen the upside down graph by Sri. R.K. Laxman.

Very good article sir. As always.

5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priya
    That cartoon was the inspiration for my story. Honestly this is one of my favourites among whatever I have written for IL but for some reason, this failed to take off.

There have been numerous versions of Akbar on the screen the latest being Hritik Roshan doing a Sufi dance to an AR Rehman song. We saw the haughty Prithvi Raj Kapoor moderating the love affair of his son (Dilip Kumar) in Mughal-e-Azam. None of them had time for jest in these movies but we keep hearing of Birbals and Mulla Nazuruddins.
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear viswa
    I am happy you liked this story which is one of my own favourites. I do not know the practice in US but top companies in India always try to rope in well known guys into their boards. I can give you the example of Vijay Amritraj on the board of Kingfisher Airlines. I really do not know how much did he contribute to deliberations when the company started nosediving to disaster but I must give it to him, he has timed his exit really well! As a man controlling large scale advances in a Special Branch of SBI, I was into the Board of a few companies as the Bank's nominee director. I have observed how the financially uninitiated directors gulped down fruit juices in between mouthfuls of premium cashew nuts!

You have a very valid point about testing their level of understanding about the affairs of the companies on the boards of which they sit as members. Unfortunately they never aspired to become directors of any company but only the companies went after them. Further I know certain avaricious and scheming promoters who wanted only well known dummies on their boards to indulge in all kinds of nefarious activities!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear syamala
    My son in law is from Eluru which is the HQ of West Godhavari District and he has told me about several prominent folks of the District. I have also seen a couple of Syam Benegal movies, Nishant and Ankur in which the early Andhara zamindars are portrayed very authentically. We could see how the young men of those families wasted their time indulging in all kinds of excesses! I wrote this based on my own perception of one such family. I am happy you liked it. I feel rewarded to gain acceptance of a character portrayed by me from a native!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

My dear Kamala
    Thanks a lot for the nice things you have said about this favourite story of mine.

You are very right about the discretion which applies to even a light-hearted approach to life. How can we forget about the indiscreet laughter of Draupathi when Duryodhana kept getting fooled by the illusions of Pandavas' palace built by Mayan. She did not stop with laughing but commented that it was no wonder that a blind king's son was blind too! Such indiscretions on her part sowed the seeds for her own humiliation after the game of dice and eventually the Kurukshetra Battle itself.

An exceedingly meaningful FB, my dear Kamala
    Sri