1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A blog on ‘The Other Side’

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by maalti, May 2, 2012.

1. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

I thank one and all for liking my blog ‘The Other Side’. Actually I wanted to blog about the death of baby Afreen who was attacked, bitten and killed by her own father at Bangalore. The gender bias begins even before the child is born. What sin did the child commit? It doesn’t even know its gender. What do they expect? Like Karna who was born with kundala and kavas, do they expect the girl child to be born bejeweled? Just before two days I read another incident where in Salem, a man had committed female infanticide. When will our society change? On the one side, women are shining in all the fields. I even see women riding super bikes. But on the other side, they are being tortured while their male counterpart doesn’t do any work. He simply drinks and lives at the mercy of his wife, dominating his wife and children. The girl child is not allowed to study. She is trained in all the household works and is made to take care of her younger siblings. The child learns to cook even before it reaches ten years. My heart goes out for these deprived girl children. Why don’t they live and let live?
    What can we do about this problem? On our part, we can bring up our girl children since we know about these atrocities. But what about the uneducated people? We can of course enlighten them. The first step is to talk to our own servant maids and if they have girl children, we can encourage them to make them study well and help them as much as we can. But who will change the mentality and attitude of our society? Only time will tell.
    But we should never give up and fight for our rights. :thumbsup:thumbsup

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

If everyone focus on one poor family and make effort to educate the girl children in their family, this problem can be solved over a period of time. It might take time but we have to somehow make a beginning. What is most important is not to accept it as is and fight against such issues. Revolutions begin only one step at a time. When everybody buys into it, then, it becomes a movement.

Viswa

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The mindset of people has to change. Only when the dowry system is completely abolished, female infanticide will stop. But stopping dowry is something that cannot be done immediately. Customs have to be changed.