#_musings

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kaniths, May 30, 2018.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Agent Hope, the babel fish talks and listens to a wonky contraption.

One person wears the earbuds, while the other holds a phone. The earbud wearer speaks in his or her language—English is the default—and the app translates the talking and plays it aloud on the phone. The person holding the phone responds; this response is translated and played through the earbuds.

Why cannot they both lay the phone on a surface and talk and listen from the phone's in-built microphone and speaker and what's with one person holding the phone who is not wearing the earbud. Does the earbud-person bend and talk to the microphone of the phone-person?

Moreover, the earbud-person has an advantage that he gets to listen to both his original and the AI's translated speech (aloud) whereas the phone-person only gets to listen to his original but not the AI's translated speech (played through earbud). Unfair! I would want to listen to my Earth English and the translated Martian Pips likewise. Babel fish has compliance flaws! I reject the model. Till then, Agent Hope we must keep our earbuds and ears open for murmurations from those evasive Martians.

2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

It's the first place my husband took me to, after marriage. Sitting on the steps talking architecture, science and common passions, an evening well spent trying to know about each other. :blush:

Screenshot_2018-06-09-06-08-11-657_org.mozilla.firefox~01~01.png Screenshot_2018-06-09-06-08-19-156_org.mozilla.firefox~01~01.png

...maybe thread should be renamed #_memories! :touched::facepalm: :lol:

satchitananda and Maayon like this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Maayon likes this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

#Water #Other_Things_I_Enjoyed

#Installations :hearteyecat:

"24 clocks come together to create one giant digital display. The clock hands are choreographed, liberating the clocks from the sole purpose of telling time."

(The hands stop to display time every 60 seconds).

Water clock fountain that “prints” time (and other designs) in "sheets of water, like a dot matrix printer".

#Meditation! :innocent:

5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Another thing I could recall... The (redefined) Tunnels Of Guanajuato, Mexico.

The tunnels were originally built to solve water flow problem and reduce flooding. Since 1961, the tunnels have solved a second municipal problem: traffic flow!

:grinning::thumbup:

6. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Ira , there’s always hope for future upgrades . But for now only tools we have are our beautiful brain and a Swiss Army knife on our travels .

7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

#Algae #Biofuel

I have read about the advancements in using Algae as Alternative Energy but...
    ^ this made me wonder, so I looked up. :wink1:

Algae Biofuel Market Size Analysis | Global Industry Report, 2018-2025

Algae Biofuel - Forecast 2025:

Transportation is expected to be the dominating application segment in the industry owing to the potential of algae to replace traditional diesel and petrol products.

Screenshot_2018-06-09-08-09-51-932_org.mozilla.firefox~01~01.png

*Others such as aerospace and industrial applications.

Screenshot_2018-06-09-14-50-40-823_org.mozilla.firefox~01.png

Screenshot_2018-06-10-06-03-31-283_org.mozilla.firefox~01~01.png

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

#Algae #SustainableFarming

Algae could help rebalance the global carbon equation as a high protein food more efficiently rather as a fuel.

Algae could also replace fertilizer-intensive crops such as corn and soy as fillers in processed foods, including fish, pig, and cow feed, absorbing more greenhouse gases per square kilometer. 1 hectare of algae ponds can generate 27 times as much protein as a hectare of soybeans.

Screenshot_2018-06-09-22-12-13-569_org.mozilla.firefox~01.png

New Tech Could Turn Algae Into the Climate’s Slimy Savior!

:beer-toast1:

9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

So what about the status of Coal?

Mapped: The world’s coal power plants | Carbon Brief.

Screenshot_2018-06-09-18-56-23-723_org.mozilla.firefox~01.png

- Interactive timeline map that shows past, present and future of world’s coal-fired power stations. Data includes all plants operating between 2000 and 2017 as well as planned new capacities.

Screenshot_2018-06-10-08-12-27-126_org.mozilla.firefox~01.png

Screenshot_2018-06-10-08-56-02-991_org.mozilla.firefox~01.png

Ever wondered why India wouldn't give up on #Coal yet? ;) ( :greedy::biggrin::lol: ) :wink1:

10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

This particular line brought to my mind a beautiful write up from NPR, about a recent research on human evolution.

"A hunter with bow and arrow, in a steamy sub-Saharan savanna, stalks a big, exotic animal."

We have had this "so-called Man the Hunter" image stuck in our head forever. There is a new theory now exploring a different POV - how grandmothers were important to a child growth and survival. Mother(s) went hunting usually but the routine changed when there was a second child in the family, and the grandmother helped out becoming a gatherer herself.

"Mom and grandma were keeping the kids fed. Not Man the Hunter!"

Screenshot_2018-06-12-09-01-54-197_org.mozilla.firefox~01.png
    All our advanced social traits such as sharing, caring, collaboration, cooperation and communications etc. to be duly attributed to grandmothers they say!

Why Grandmothers May Hold The Key To Human Evolution!

:beer-toast1: