1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

9 Month Old Baby Prefer Grandma Over Me

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sandy27, Jan 24, 2019.

1. sandy27

sandy27 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am not sure if any mothers have gone thru this phase. I have a 9 month old son and I joined office a week before. My mil takes care of him. Offlate i see lot of difference in the way he is with me. He seems to prefer my mil over me. Even wen i return back from work he smiles but doesnt come to me but goes to her instead. Sometimes he even cries wen she moves away or try to go to her wen im holding him. Before he used to happily come to me and wont go to anyone that easily.

After i joined work things seem to have changed. I feel so hurt and i feel im missing so much. My worry is he is 9 months and by now he shld be able to know who his mother is. I have seen babies cry to go to their mom wen she returns from work but my son seems to ignore me. Im so depressed.

Will he ever come to me or this gap will always be there and he will prefer my mil over me? Is anything wrong in my way of spending time with him? Wen im at home i feed him play with him.. but still he doesnt prefer me first place. He is the world to me will i be the same for him?

Has this happened to any of you with 9 months plus babies and later they understand and come to you??

Pls share your experience i feel so bad and it so hurting. Hope this phase changes soon for good and my son understands me...

Thanks,
    R.Sandhya

2. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

First of all hugs to you! I went thru similar emotions when I joined work but let me tell you, they go thru many phases and the person they prefer keeps changing a lot. My son would just smile at me when I returned back from work. He wouldnt come running to me like I expected and it hurt me so much. I thought he didnt even knew I was his mom. Then suddenly things changed when he was close to a year old. Now he literally waits at the door and would not leave me alone ever since I go back home.

He is just a baby and for now he is loving all the attention he is getting from your MIL. Once you go home have some activities that only you and your son do. May be sing him a song, read a book, give him a nice bath, play with him. Allot at least an hour a day for just you-your-son time, so he would look forward to your play time when you come back. I am sure every mom goes thru this phase. Trust me, no one else can take away the fact that you are his mom. I have noticed that though my son's preferences tend to change a lot, when he falls sick or gets hurt, he would ony want him mommy.

Enjoy this precious time with him. Hope I helped a little :)

3. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

As long as he is not raised away from you in a different town by the grand-ma, nothing to worry about. He is just a baby.

You are very lucky and you should be happy that your son gets loving care. You do not have to search for baby sitters, god knows what they do when you are not around. Then you try to install nanny cam everywhere, worry about your child even after paying hefty sum of money. Believe me, you have it good.

Just a word of caution: Your feelings are normal; but, don't let it affect your relationship with your MIL. Don't forget grand-parents have immense love towards their grand children. It is healthy for a child to grow up with grand parents, uncles/aunts and cousins, besides their own parents.

Make a routine of playing with him, read to him and pay attention to him when you get back; so that he will look forward to your coming home as he grows little older.

hridhaya and beautifullife30 like this.
  4. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

It is natural for him to go to her because she is with him all the time. If you are so concerned, just give him a big hug and a kiss when you go home and tell him you missed him a lot. Kids attaching to grandparents is nothing to worry about. In my case my mil was jealous and insecure that I would take my son and breast-feed him in the bedroom. Though he was there the whole day with her, she used to complain that I was taking him away from "them". So even the bonding time she did not want me with him. Kids should not be caught in the middle of such ego tussles. My kids never went to her because she just did not take care of them, all the care was taken by my fil. To this day, the kids love him and don't like him being sidelined (not that he is, but if they get that feeling, they will make sure to convey that !!!). He sure has a special place in their hearts. They like me too, especially the younger one is very attached to me, but their taata is taata. Just think of him as a kid, he is not your property. Listen to Sadhguru's videos on parenting. If you love someone, you should let them free, not try to clasp them, they will try to get away from you. When you are back, spend time with him, ask him how his day was, get him some books, some toys, play with him if possible. Just make some time for him (around 1/2 hr) and you will see how he will look forward to spending time with you. Let him have the best of all worlds.

5. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

@op I can assure that no one can replace mom place neither grand ma not Dad .. so don’t worry about it .. your kid is too young now it’s will phase out ..

I will share my exp : my baby was raised by grandma (mil) in another country for 6 mon as am working mom don’t want to put her in day care at that young age and grand ma is nice and affectionate.. when we left her she is just 6 mon dint know who is mom dad .. but we used to do video call every day twice .. she used to cry looking at me sometimes ..

So we have decided to bring her back when she is 1 year old .. all thought like she won’t recognize .. but bottom line is she rushed to me after we landed and reached home .. she was even fine with Dad .. but not with elder sister .. elder sister disappointed

I took her to my moms place within two days after that .. my mil and everyone thought I will return back thinking she will cry asking for grandma .. but no that did not happen .. she is absolutely fine with me .. dint even ask about her grandma or dad .

A mom touch is way diff from any one rise in the world .. that keeps your kid feel safe so give him frequent touches like hugging playing ..

Now my kid can’t stay away from for more than 24 hours .. she goes to day care plays with Dad sister grandma .. but when it comes to sleep she needs mom 100% ..

So don’t worry .. enjoy the time with kid .. take pictures play well..

6. sandy27

sandy27 New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for your assuring words.. i hope this phase passes off soon..

7. sandy27

sandy27 New IL'ite

Th
    Thanks for you reply. I have no problem with his attachment towards my MIL. Im happy that he gets all the love and attention. Its just that I feel he is moving away from me. Thats wat hurts. I dint expect my baby to turn away from my crying and moving to someone else. Well i have also explained my feelings and my MIL totally understands this and she is also helping me.

Topaz49 likes this.
  8. sandy27

sandy27 New IL'ite

Yes i understand. Thank you for your reply...

9. sandy27

sandy27 New IL'ite

Lucky of you. Wish my son too shares such a bond with me... thank you for the assurance...

10. sandy27

sandy27 New IL'ite

Thanks once again.. your experience and words are so soothing.. i was so depressed that i felt my son went awsy from me as i just started to work and as days pass by i may have to stay at office for long, which i felt will inc the gap even further. I have nothing against my mil or my son or anyone. Its just that insecurity and fear of losing that love from my son. I am and he is blessed with best of grandparents and family. I jus wish and pray i cope up with this and this phase changes soon for good. Im jus looking forward for that spl love and affection as a mother from my son tats all...

hridhaya likes this.