1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

6 month old suddenly hates bath

Discussion in 'Infants' started by tuliplady, Dec 8, 2012.

1. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Help!! My 6 month old suddenly hates and cries through the bath time. He will be happy until the dreaded bath time comes. I massage him and he loves it, and plays through the routine. But as soon as I begin bathing him, he screams screams until he hits the sack. He cries when I put clothes on, and these days even reading books have gone out of the window, I simply plonk him in his bed and he goes to sleep.

How do I make bath time enjoyable for him?

P.S:- I bathe him traditional Indian style on my legs. Perhaps he hates it. But he had fun all this time..wonder why suddenly this?

2. hydee

hydee Bronze IL'ite

Now your has son grown up that's the reason.. its better to buy a bath bed.. Its like a small chair with net on the back.. So it'll be easy for you and yr son. Also check the temperature of the water... I use the bath bed until 1 year after that only i use bath tub. Happy Parenting..

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My DD was the same. Your DS is growing. Make bath time an enjoyable one by giving bath toys. As hydee has said you can use the small chair type.

I used to give DD a cup of water and allow her to put her hands in it. First 2 days she was hesitant. From the 3rd day onwards, she started enjoying it.

4. Topaz

Topaz Silver IL'ite

What soap are you using...could it burn his eyes? Is water entering his ears...my older one hates water near his ears and that's why hated swimming...he was fine until he had to learn strokes and put his ear underwater!

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

000_0062.jpg

Your message reminded me of this pic which I am sharing...he is still 3 months and happy with bath.

4 people like this.
  6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Check the temp of water? Did you give some toys to play with? Maybe consulting with doctor is good.
    Also did you change the soap recently or still using same soap?

7. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Aww thats a cute pic, Tashidelek:) Lovely baby!! Is he able to sit like this at 3 months?

@Ramya and Hydee:I gave him all sorts of toys, including bath squirters but it is not making a difference.
    Part of the reason maybe because he is sleeping on my legs, he does not like it. He squirms a lot and always is "on the move", so this position seems to be contricting him. I always wanted to use a bath tub but MIL was against it when he was a newborn so she prefered bathing him in this fashion and wanted me to follow with this. But now that he has been sitting up, I think its time to move to a tub.
    @Anandchitra: Water temperature is perfect. Have been using the same temperature since Day1. Also in the Indian style bathing, very less chance of getting water in his ears. I give him a headbath once in 3-4 days. But even on the days that I bathe only his body, he dislikes it.
    I have been using Cetaphil since Day 1. And to wash his hair I use Johnsons tearless shampoo, but I am yet to try whether it is tearless or not:))

8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    I think the cold weather might be the culprit....

Tashidalek
    Your DS is so cute.....

9. raji12

raji12 Senior IL'ite

well at this stage it happens,but after seventh month he will enjoy it again,give hot bath as now its winter,dont worry.

10. SANL

SANL Silver IL'ite

may be the weather changes made it, anyway try with some toys, my dd just cries only when i use water on her head , otherwise she is ok :)