1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

50 years of Mumbai life - my experience in travelling

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Nov 15, 2015.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

This August I have completed 50 years in Mumbai. I was born in North Parur, Kerala but was in Chennai for sometime, when I was six years I went with my grandmother to Pune and was there for six months. My grandmother's brother in law's son was there , he was like my mother's own brother because my grandmother only brought him up and he was attached to our family. Then we went to Hyderabad and I did my schooling in Hyderabad. Have happy memories of childhood days, of my best friend who though rich was down to earth. Everyday for two hours in the evening I used to spend with her, she helped me in many ways. Then in 1965 we came to Mumbai as after my father's death my brother got a good job in Mumbai.

On the 2nd day itself I got a job through my earlier boss in Hyderabad in a Company who were distributors of earlier Company. As it is people had told so many things about Mumbai. That you should be very careful and should not ask for any advice from strangers. For a week my brother came to leave me in the office as we stayed in Goregaon and I had to travel by train till VT. From there I had to walk to office. Then later everyday I used to go with my brother till the station as he had to go to Worli and myself to VT. I was a very quiet person , except me all the other ladies were christians. They all used to wear dresses , make up etc and I was the only South Indian and I used to wear sarees. But all of them were very loving. Once when we had gone for a picnic I like a silly person wore pure silk saree , then later only I knew had to wear ordinary saree. Travelling in train was difficult , in the mornings it was not much problem but evening getting into the train at VT station was very difficult, instead of getting in people used to jump into the train to get the corner seat. Some how I used to manage. Then we shifted our house to Andheri for sometime in the east , then shifted to west. Then I used to travel by bus. First time when I saw buses written BEST in that I thought all the buses are best, thats why BEST is written. Once in the beginning when I was in the bus the conductor said kismat wale uthar jao, I thought lucky people have to get down , then only came to know there is a theatre named Kismat. Evenings there use dto be big Q , so by the time I used to reach home it would be late.

From Andheri we shifted to Wadala, then in 1973 I got married and we stayed in Bhandup. I used to go half way by train and half way by us. Had an opportunity to go to Siddhi Vinayak temple as it was near our office. Our office also shifted near Siddhi Vinayak. From home I had to walk for 10,15 mins and I used to feel its a long walk especially in rainy seasons. Many times have got caught in the rain due to floods, no trains , so stayed in my sis in law's place. During rains there used to be problem but somehow or other used to manage to come home . Then in 1991 I had hip bone fracture and started travelling in Contract Bus. One friend who was also staying near by in Mulund used to help me getting into the contract bus and while getting down in the beginning. We used to have nice time in the contract bus, evening we used to play housie or some game. My 50th birthday was also celebrated in a grand manner, they bought cak eand made me cut in the bus. During Navratri first time everyone in the bus came to our house . One uncle many times used to bring idli , vada in the mornings, we used ot go to his house also for Navratri. We used to celebrate all functions in the contract bus. When the bus completed 10 years , they had 3 buses and we had contest between the 3 buses , to show their talents in organising every function. We used to have gala time in the bus. Used to have get togethers, picnics etc.

In Mumbai before marriage and after marriage I shifted 10 houses. In every house there were different experiences but had many friends. After staying in Mumbai it is difficult to go and stay anywhere else in India .

7 people like this.

2. divshiri87

divshiri87 Gold IL'ite

wow viji ma... loved your narration.
    I was in mumbai only for 3 months. loved to travel in local trains though its tightly packed.
    On first day i struggled to travel to offfice. At night, i felt very difficult to reach home. one girl helped me to reach to the area near to my apartment. i was very happy to be there and wil be happy if i get any oppurtunity to stay there again. btw i am south indian, dont know hindi much but managed with my broken hindi..haaahaaa....

1 person likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Viji aunty,
    This is a great snippet spanning half a century! It is nice to hear about all your varied experiences. I lived in Mumbai for a few years during high school and college, so I can relate to some of your experiences with catching the bus and trains.

1 person likes this.
  4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Hi viji maami,
    enjoyed reading your post. Over a period of time, we get used to the place where we are settled and that becomes home like no other. Same thing happened with us when we moved out of Calcutta of those days after 10 long years of school / college there and we used to wonder whether Chennai would be all right - but got used to that also. Now in Bangalore for last 30 or more years after marriage, I feel there is no place like Bangalore and wouldn't want to settle anywhere else.

1 person likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,
    Nice experience about travel wonderfully narrated.In Srirangam we had to walk nearly 2 Kms to reach school.During college days also we had to walk nearly 1.5 Km, ,travel by bus, then walk a few furlongs to reach the destination.In Madras it was not such a great problem as in Bombay.However during rainy days, almost all the roads even in posh areas are flooded.Now a days it is very difficult to cross any road,as each house hold has a four wheeler and two or three two wheelers.
    We pedestrians suffer a lot.Yet as we have neither a car or scooter we have to depend on'Nataraja service'.But it keeps us hale and healthy.
    A hundred year old man informed the media" I got married at the age of 21.I came to an understanding with my wife soon after marriage that whoever loses the argument has to walk 5 Kms a day.I owe my longevity to my dear wife who defeated me me in all the arguments, made me walk 5Km on most of the days -that made me healthy and free from doctors.The winner of the argument however predeceased me 25 years back. She was the winner always, even in life's destination. Now there there is no one to defeat me in the argument.Yet I do walk daily thinking of how I lost to her daily."
    Jayasala 42

4 people like this.
  6. HemalathaRangar

HemalathaRangar Silver IL'ite

Hi viji aunty,
    Very nize narration.... wow! So much interesting thin happen in ur lyf lik offiz, frnds, bus trips and etc., so for.. very thanks to share wit us... Astonishing lyf of urs aunty...
    I hope u would have gained a lot of exp. and knowledge by visiting many places....

1 person likes this.
  7. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Well said Vijima. Loved your snippets. The way you express it, i felt i was traveling with you. You remember so much small incidents as well.

I grew up in south mumbai and then we moved to Andheri. During junior college, i had to travel by train and it was an interesting experience. I loved to stand near the door, holding the central rod and feeling the breeze as the train moved. I enjoyed the challenge of getting into the train and getting out of the train in peak traffic. I hated traveling during the rainy season. Parents were insisting on me traveling in 1st class but my friends were traveling in 2nd class and i didn't like spending parent's money, so i always traveled by 2nd class.

Now, whenever i visit, i am afraid of taking the trains. I now wonder, how did i manage in those days.

But overall i miss mumbai life. The fast food, the train, the bombaiya language, etc.
    Would love to be back.

2 people like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Viji aunty,

Nice reading your experiences. You no doubt have had a rich busy life. You are a complete Mumbaikar looks like and thanks to such a vibrant and diverse city, you could retain your South Indian identity well as well. How amazing that is. I have never met a person who is form Mumbai and not in love with that city. So it is understandable if you feel you may not enjoy living elsewhere.

Thank you for sharing with us.

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @divshiri87 dear , glad to know you loved my narrationand to know you were in Mumbai for 3 months and loved to travel in local trains. True for people who are new to Mumbai its difficult for them to travel by train. Glad one girl helpe dyou and you managed with broken Hindi

10. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

wonderful snippet Viji ma. I can visualize while reading you snippet. achieving half century in the same place is really blessed. Wonderful narration as always

1 person likes this.