1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

5 months 1 week old babys first solid. please guide me.

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by anjalika400, Sep 22, 2010.

1. anjalika400

anjalika400 Junior IL'ite

I am not very keen on starting solids before 6 months as she had to go through a lot due to milk protein allergy.She is now working good on Enfamil Nutramigen since last 2.5 months.she eagerly watches us while eating and drinking and the other day she was trying to hold my glass and take a sip. but she does not open her mouth if I offer my spoon near her mouth to see if she is interested.Otherwise she keeps watching and drools .
    my concerns are since a) she could not tolerate any other formula including nestle goodstart or similac sensitive etc., 1)could there be any tummy problem again if I try to feed her some rice cereal or gerber oatmeal.(I bought a pack of baby oatmeal , but today I read somewhere that oatmeal should not be given in the first place before rice cereal to avoid any allergy later on)
    2)when should I try to feed her some cereal . please go through our routine which is working really great for us now since she is on the new formula.I don't want to mess up this schedule right now.she takes 6-8 oz bottle at 9.30 am , then another 5-6 oz bottle at 1.30 pm. next 5-8 oz bottle at 4.30-5.00 pm .another 5-6 oz bottle at 7.30-7.45 pm and bedtime at 8.15pm. I dreamfeed her with a 3-5 oz bottle at 11.00-11.30 pm before I go to bed at midnight.she sleeps sould till 4-6 am and starts moving and falls backs to sleep till 8.00 am. .then plays and cat nap till 9.30 am.what is the best time to give her solid first ? I don't really want to substitute a whole amount of formula with solid as she needs milk.please help me choosing a correct time and approach to feed her solid with minimum disturbance in our schedule.thanks so much.

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Solids at this age should be just treated as a supplement and not as a substite for a feeding. Soilds are just for practice. Start with single grain rice cereal then once she is o.k you can move to oatmeal. Start with feeding once a day. May be you can feed her around 12 noon. Start with 1-2 spoons of rice cereal mixed with breast milk or formula.

BTW, you need not start cereal right away. You can still wait until she is 6 months old. Just be watchful of rice cereal. It is usually a culprit for constipation.

Also, go through this thread
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/8579-starting-solids-4-6-months.html

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  3. Swathi1982

Swathi1982 New IL'ite

Hi Anjalika....I think its better to wait untile she is 6months old....once she is 6 then start with rice cereal..

4. nicolethomson

nicolethomson New IL'ite

as others say, other than breastfeeding all other options should be kept aside,

from my exp.

i am using for my 4 months 3weeks old son (carrot and beans mix and boil these vegetables for 30 mins. with a little amount of salt, i will feed only the veg boiled water)

first few day's he was resisting, nowadays he started appreciating :) us.

now are adding carrot+sweet corn or carrot+toor dal or carrot+beans
    options.

you can consider cabbage too.

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Toor dal for a 4 month old?? Toor dal is very hard to digest. So better wait until they are little older. Also use of salt should be limited or totally avoided at such an young age. And cabbage can make LO's gassy. So it is better to avoid now.

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

nicolethomson, i think that meal is way too heavy for a 4 or even 5 month old!!! :drowning

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

coming back to ur questyion, if ur baby has sensitive tummy i wld wait for a wk or 2 more.... and heres wat we did, pls chk these threads

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/86671-first-foods.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/90668-question-on-cereals.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/98466-veggies-and-fruit-puree.html

you could always search for the threads, that way you most probably would get the answer to your questions, most things wld jv already been discussed :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010