36th week baby weight 4lbs 8ozs

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Triana, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Triana

Triana New IL'ite

Hi all,

This is my second pregnancy and i completed 36 weeks. I am a type 2 diabetic and on insulin twice a day. due date is oct 12th.

I regularly visit my gyn and perinatologist, friday was my last appt with perinatologist and the scan showed the weight of the baby as 4lbs 8ozs. and he said that it would be better if i deliver the baby after 38 weeks. i am really worried about the baby's weight. It would be nice if anyone can share their experience with low birth weight baby and what can i do to increase the weight of the baby a little bit more.

thanks in advance for your replies.
    Triana

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

triana congrats on the pregnancy ... and your success with controlling diabetes. babies gain about 1/4 - 1/2 pound per week in the last few weeks so it is possible for your baby to be around 5.5 pounds when born. eat well, drink fluids and rest as much as you can!

and the u/s weight is just a guess it is +/- 1 pound. so your baby may actually weigh more than what the u/s says.

3. Triana

Triana New IL'ite

pmahensa, thanks alot for taking time to reply. I was just concerned because my elder daughter also was 5lbs 14ozs. so i just wish that my second girl also gains enough weight so that she won't have any complications after birth.

With a 3 yr old in the house its really difficult to take much rest. but i will take as much rest and also take plenty of fluids. I have appt with my gyn on 15th lets see what she has to say. please keep me in your prayers.

Thanks once again.

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

triana theres nothing to worry at all.... after 36 wks ur baby will continue to gain weight at around 14 gms a day... which is wat read.
    so this should sum upto .5 kilos by the time its 38 wks. hence you are definitely having a 5+ lber baby.
    best wishes to u!

5. Triana

Triana New IL'ite

loonypooh thanks a lot for your encouraging words- Just hoping and praying that everything should go well.

6. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

My daughter was weighing less than 5lbs during my 36 week checkup. Doctor and nurse advised me to have complete bed rest and have plenty of fluids. I was on maternity leave from 36th week on. It helped a lot. My DDs birth weight was 6lbs 13 oz. During the last few weeks rest and drinking fluids will definitely help increase baby's weight.

-Uma

7. Triana

Triana New IL'ite

Thanks advitha, i'll try to take rest and have plenty of fluids. your words are really very encouraging. but with a 3 yr at home just wonder how much rest i can get.

8. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hey Triana, take lot of rest.. Yes, with a 3 yr old kid you cant rest enough.. but keep you other tasks simple.. like keep your cooking very very simple.. dont bother to keep your house spic an span, I mean during weekends you can do house cleaning along with your DH. Dont bother to be behind your DD. Make sure you lie on your back (atleast on the couch) while your DD is playing in front of you.. in the morning get all her stuff like toys, books and other things in a place where she could play and you could rest at the same time.. Tell her now and then that 'mamma cant move, can you help mamma take rest?' She will surely understand. She will feel responsible for you too.