1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3 year old doesnot take food properly

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by manjumnair, Feb 9, 2007.

1. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

My daughter is about 3 years old now. I am very much worried about her eating habits..She does not take any vegetables or fruits, in any form. Actually speaking she takes only rice with yoghurt and two glass of milk(morning and evening) daily. She is going to playschool for the past one month. There also, if I send something other than Marie biscuits or cakes, she will not have it.

She gets cough and cold very often...Is that due to some deficiency?? I asked her paediatrician about her food habits..He told me to try different methods for including vegetables and fruits in her diet. I tried giving her juices, shakes etc., but in vain...

Except for the frequent cough and cold, she is very active, like to go to school and trying to speak continuously.

Do anyone have any suggestions to my problem??

Best Regards
    Manju

2. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Hi Manju,
    Just viewed ur posting.
    Ur sweety is 3yrs old right.
    Well i am not personelly experienced , i am newly married
    But for my Chachaji's daughter,& for SIL's son I use these technics only.
    So u can tell her stories excitingly.
    Stories in the sense like...u start telling her when i was going to school i used to take fruits in tiffin box, I used to take tiffin box dialy.
    Just make her crazy about tiffin box & items in th etiffin box.

& while u going to fruit shop take her along with u & ask her what fruits she want to buy..(enna fruits vendum da..Kutti ki).
    Later while packing Tiffin box just make her crazy like today i am giving this fruit,which u like vey much......U bought these items.
    & today ur favorite items in Box..like that
    Try this
    Hope this helps u..All the Best
    Bye :wave

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Sunikris,sounds interesting,but all kids are not the same .My son does not touch any fruits.He likes some juices,that's it.Vegetables,I mix along with rice and give him.That is the only way it goes in.Chappathis-he will have plain,no side dish.For idlis and dosas-milagai podi,no sambar or chutney.The other day I told him there is no milagai podi at home so he will have to have dosa with sambar.You know what he did---he asked for a spoon of gingelly oil and had dosa with that!!!:bang

Well,he is a sciorpio,so stubborn,I don't expect anything else from him.I have tried to do all that you said,it has not worked with him.

4. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

My daughter is also very choosy abt eating.She never wants to eat any dish wd chapati or rice.I don't know wat to do? I also tell her stories and some times read book for her then only I m able to make her ready to eat one or two spoons dish.

I think all kids r choosy.They r taking one thing and not the other.How u all manage wd this? Will they start eating all things by their own wd time or we shd pressurise them to eat.:confused: What U all do?

And the other thing abt which usually I m confused is the quantity and time gap. My daughter never ask for food. So I can't know she is hungry or not. I m giving her by my own.So sometimes I feel I m giving her less.Sometimes when she says No I feel am I giving right amt or not?

Plz tell me how much gap U all maintain bwn meals and wat quantity u give at one time. Can anybody give me chart for whole day meal for 4-1/2 yrs?

Thanks In Advance.
    Waiting for ur valuable suggestions...........

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sonia,

This is what I do..

Morning around 7 a.m- 1/2 glass of milk
    8 a.m - 2 dosas or 2 idlies or 2 slices bread(with peanut butter)

Lunch-12.30-1 p.m.- a little less than 1/2 cup rice(I take less than 1/2 cup of rice and cook for him)This he has with sambar,rasam and buttermilk(a 3 course meal) with some little sidedish.

Tea-time-4.30. p.m.-1 cup of milk with bournvita/boost/malt with about 2 cookies or biscuits.

Dinner- 7.30 p.m. -1 or 2 chapathis/1 packet noodles/3 idlies/2 dosas/1 adai/about 1 cup upma/1 paratha

Bedtime-9 p.m.- 1 glass milk with boost or bournvita

This I have been following since he was about 2 yrs.Works fine for him and me.

1 person likes this.
  6. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sunitha,

Thank you so much for ur diet chart.I was really confused rg this now I can tally it wd my quantity and time gap. :thankyou2:

7. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Hi Manju,

I have a 6 yr old D who is exactly like your D too. She will be happy to eat rice with plain curd three times a day. She only eats rice less than half a cup. She is very petite and small. But my pediatrician asked me not to worry about her eating because as long as she is active there is nothing to worry about . She does eat fruits but veggies she wont touch them at all. Just try and put out things in front of her may be someday she will choose to eat them...
    Children are all different. They know if they are hungry or not and when they are hungry.
    Let us hope that ur daughter and my daughter outgrow this phase and start eating everything.

Goodluck,
    Jothi.

8. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

thank you for all your suggestions... I am trying out everything to make her eat.

Regards
    Manju