1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

2023 - New Year Resolutions/goals

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thoughtful, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

While there is no good time to start something new or to improve oneself, beginning of a new year gives a clean slate. It doesn't have to be a new year, it could be a new day, new week, new month where we can start something new and look back with pride on what we could do.

But just because it is a new year, for fun, please play along. Anything appealing in this list below on what you could start on? Or maybe you have one outside of the list you would like to share.

If you have taken the time to read at least half of the list, try to respond with 3 which you would like to do in 2023:

Courtesy: 55 Best New Year's Resolution Ideas for 2023 - Parade: Entertainment, Recipes, Health, Life, Holidays ( I have removed the descriptions and images so you can visit the site and give them the hit if you like the below )

Lose weight. Quit social media. Cut out alcohol completely. Blah blah blah snoozefest. These are all good goals. But we set the same New Year's resolutions every single year and then... never really stick to them. So, for 2023, why not shake things up a bit and try creating resolutions of a different variety? Whether you choose one new year resolution or all 55, you'll be better off for it.

55 New Year's Resolutions to Try for 2023

1. Focus on a Passion, Not the Way You Look

2. Work out to feel good, not be thinner.

3. Stop gossiping.

4. Give one compliment a day.

5. Go a whole day without checking your email.

6. Do Random Acts of Kindness

7. Read a book a month.

8. Go someplace you've never been.

9. Clear out the clutter.

10. Turn off your phone one night a week.

11. Reduce your waste.

12. Volunteer.

13. Travel on a small budget.

14. Write down one thing you're grateful for every night.

15. Drink more water.

16. Take a part of your paychecks and put it in savings or investments.

17. Stop multitasking.

18. Talk to yourself with kindness.

19. Call a friend instead of texting them.

20. Don't buy things you don't need.

21. Keep a journal.

22. Clean out your car.

23. Put your bills on autopay.

24. Take the stairs.

25. Go to the dentist when you're supposed to.

26. Be kind on social media.

27. Let go of grudges.

28. Stay in touch with the people who matter.

29. Try a totally new restaurant.

30. Start a new hobby.

31. Travel somewhere without posting about it on social media.

32. Bring a plant into your home.

33. Sanitize your personal belongings.

34. Start cooking!

35. Buy less plastic.

36. Send handwritten letters.

37. Donate clothes you never wear.

38. Pay off your credit card every month.

39. Avoid people who complain a lot.

40. Remove negativity or anything that makes you feel lousy.

41. Travel somewhere with no map.

42. Wear sunscreen.

43. Cook more.

44. Get a Real Haircut

45. Do Something That Scares You

46. Make Your Bed Every Morning

47. Stay on Top of Your Inbox

48. Try Guided Meditation

49. Stretch It Out

50. Craft Something Yourself

51. Go to Bed Happy Each Night

52. Spot Clean as You Go

53. Pay it Forward

54. Talk Less, Listen More

55. Whatever Your Goals Are, Write Them Down

2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

I think my top 3 for the upcoming year where I would like to start are:

55. Whatever Your Goals Are, Write Them Down ( This is not included in the 3 as this is a pre-requisite. This post is my writing it down )

#14. Write down one thing you're grateful for every night.
    #12. Volunteer.
    #99. Make a new meaningful connection every month ( This is not in the above list )

Not adding to this list as I don't want this list to become too long and lose track. But would like to "Learn a new language".

Now that I have it in writing, I need to be accountable so I can show up at the end of the year and have something to say.

I think I need make these as SMART goals:
    1. Writing something I am grateful for ( 75% of the days in the year. 270 entries at the end of the year )
    2. Volunteer ( Spend at least 12 hours volunteering in the entire year. Seems so less given the number of hours in a year, but how do I fill 12 hours? )
    3. 12 new connections whom I can reach out at the end of the year for a conversation.
    4. Learning a new language ( not sure how to measure this. Spend at least 1 hour a week learning. seems less, but I should know at least 20 new words per month and 12 new sentences. Let me set the bar low on this. I don't want to totally blow this with lofty goal )

Are you ready to put pen on paper and write it down here?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    Thyagarajan and Madhurima21 like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP

The idea presented here is wonderful and handy. But in the heart of heart I believe resolutions whether one makes it on new year or any other day is invariably broken.

Seemingly steadfast implementers of their resolutions too fail as they come across numerous unprecedented obstacles or hurdles during th the course of the year.

The only resolution that is invariably implemented all over the world is to book a table for the new year eve and spend time in fun and frolic.

As part of resolution, for few new years, at the stroke of midnight when new year began in temple, with family I watched deepa- aradhana and ate lunch in star hotel.

Many new years, I decided to maintain diary but half or quarter way I jettisoned or abandoned.

But writing out goals to be achieved and keep that journal under the night-pillow, seem to work like magic-wand for few. This idea is from Nspolean Hill.

I heard AMERICA 's yesteryear steel baron wrote some 100 + things as goals to achieve in his life time and it was reported he had achieved and ticked off over 98 of that long list.

Jittu Krishnamurthy settled & expired in England said in one if his discourses that every to-day is continuation of yesterday and tomorrow is continuation of to-day.

For every one there is only 24 hours /day. Some manage it better with less effort and achieve far more.

The most ideal is to do nothing and achieve maximum or optimum!

The story of richmen seeking relaxation in conversation with an angler near a lake comes to mind.

Best wishes and happy MMXXIII.
    Regards.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    Thoughtful likes this.
  4. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Totally agree sir. Instead of using resolutions using SMART goals is the right way.

If someone asked me, how was my 2022, I could not tell that I strived to do the following and accomplished these and fell short here. I wish to change that for 2023.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

I did not want to keep posting in this thread as there was no activity and I did not want to keep attracting attention.

But after pondering a bit, I have decided to not do the gratefulness journal and track at 75%. I have tried this before and this gets forced and does not feel good after a few days. I have to decided to do this on an as needed basis.

Instead I am replacing it with:
    #6. Random acts of kindness ( targeting 12 times in 2023 ).