20 week scan gender confirmation

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sdhvar, Mar 23, 2013.

1. sdhvar

sdhvar New IL'ite

HI,
    how accurate is the 20 week scan in confirming the gender..... has it gone wrong with any of you? :bonk

2. Swasha

Swasha Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

Congrats on your pregnancy. It is 99% accurate. As far as in my friend's circle, it has not gone wrong. Also enjoy ur pregnancy and wish for healthy baby without complications.

3. sdhvar

sdhvar New IL'ite

thanks for the reply swasha... i had my 19th week scan today and was told i am having a girl....but i was very convinced that i am having a boy... when asked how she showed me three lines which means a girl.... but i had all boy symptoms.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I had all the symptoms related to having a boy. I had a girl. The gender scan confirmed my baby as girl only.

5. Yahooo

Yahooo Silver IL'ite

Please be assured that ur carrying a girl only. No way the scan is wrong especially when the technician has showed u three lines for a girl. Whatever symptoms ur having and based on that ur saying boy or girl is all old wives tale. Only the ultrasound and later ur pregnancy confirms the truth.

I wonder how come ladies want the ultrasound to go wrong or rather think its wrong when its a girl.

Btw open I too had all the symptoms for a girl n finally there came a boy

1 person likes this.
  6. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

It was accurate for both my kids, but some babies are "shy" and won't get into a position that the tech can tell. My sist was like that. My mom had three separate scans to check for gender, but didn't get to find out till delivery because the baby would keep her back to the probe.

My first kid, I didn't care if it was a boy or a girl. I got a boy first time. Second time, I was hoping for a girl, so I could have one of each, but it didn't really matter in the long run. I was happy when the scan showed girl, but I would have been just as happy if my second had been a boy.

I've never known symptoms to be entirely correct. I had EVERY symptom with my first child, both "boy" and "girl," and almost no symptoms with my second child. In fact, I didn't really believe I was pregnant the second time, despite three positive tests, until a scan at six weeks to check for a heartbeat because I never had morning sickness or tender breasts or anything.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  7. sdhvar

sdhvar New IL'ite

I am happy that I am going to have a princess again.. The thing was we were three sisters in our family, so all wanted a boy for me first but I was very happy when I had my first daughter.... Now for the second the expectation was even more.........

8. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

I had the opposite in my family. I have a lot of younger cousins, and the last several babies born in my family had been boys, up to my son. My daughter was the first girl in the family for twelve years, so everyone was pretty excited for her arrival.

I wish people would get over the expectation of a specific gender already. It isn't as if you control what you're getting! I mean, theoretically it is possible to improve your chances of one sex over the other based on various positions, when you have sex, etc, but it's not guaranteed unless you go to a clinic and specifically choose only male or female embryos to be implanted.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013