1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

2 weeks India trip with 6 month old..

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by babymomma, Mar 17, 2010.

1. babymomma

babymomma New IL'ite

Dear all,

Can you please let me know if it is okay to take a 6 month old baby for a short trip to India. I need to go for my sisters wedding in June end and my son will be 6 months by then.
    I will be landing in Bombay and be there for couple of days and go to kerala.. come back to bombay and back to US.
    I am really worried about how my baby will handle the whole trip since it is too short. will he be affected by the back and forth journey?
    Have u guys gone for any similar trips? Is it safe to take baby for 2 weeks overseas? especially on a rainy season...
    Can you tell me what precautions I need to take..

Thanks soo much..

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Well, such a long journey with a 6 month old will definitely need some planning. But it is much harder with a toddler, so don't fret. You just need to plan well and be prepared for every eventuality. Here are some things just off the top of my head,

- Talk to his pediatrician and make sure he is current on all his vaccinations. Ask your doctor about what precautions to take.
    - Only give him water from a sealed bottle or that you have sterilized yourself. Keep him well hydrated.
    - Carry infant Tylenol, some vapor rub, saline drops, a nasal aspirator and a thermometer.
    - Babies' ears hurt a lot during take-off and landing due to pressure variations in the plane. If you nurse then let him BF at that time or give him a bottle. Both can help relieve the pressure.
    - Changing diapers in an airplane is quite a challenge. Look for a diaper changing table that folds out over the toilet seat in the airplane's restroom. It is great help. Carry your own changing mat.
    - If you BF then food won't be a problem. A good nursing cover is all you should need. Otherwise carry a tin of formula and get hot water in the plane. If he eats solids, then carry enough food and formula for a 24 hour period.

Luckily 6-month olds don't need a lot of entertaining. They are more interested in their parents than the world outside. A few toys that your DS loves should be more than enough. Just a little planning should make the journey much easier than you think.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010