1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

1st Birthday party Planning help.

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by viki123, Apr 8, 2015.

1. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    We are planning to have my son’s 1[SUP]st[/SUP] birthday party in our home. Cake cutting will happen in Hall and Dinner will be in the garage, if weather permits they can used small garden/Pool area near the house.
    I need some suggestions here. This is the first time I am organizing a party and I want to keep it simple and sweet.
    1. Return gifts: I divided the guest in groups and would like to know which gifts would be perfect for them. Please give me some ideas and where I can buy these?
      • Commons to all: bunch of chocolates, Organic Fruit strips, what else can be included any idea?
      • Girls: Age 1, Age 3 plus, Age 6 plus
      • Boys: Age <1, Age 2 plus
      • Expecting couple
      • Couples with no kids or unmarried
    2. Decoration: I am clue less about it. Planning to visit party city to get some ideas. Any ideas would be helpful?
    3. Cake: A big confusion? Any ideas would be helpful.
    4. Food: Mostly it would be Indian. I am planning on placing some appetizers/drinks on Kitchen Island for kids & ladies who would be most of the time in Hall. (I have an open kitchen)
    For Kids (Total 12-15 kids)
    I am planning on including chicken nuggets, cup cakes and cookies. Could you please suggest me anything else that kids would enjoy?
    For adults I am planning on including finger foods appetizers? Will this be good idea? Any ideas what would be good?

Any other suggestions would helpful?

Thank you all.

2. Daenerys

Daenerys Senior IL'ite

For decorations I highly suggest you pick out a theme. That will narrow out options considerably for you and thats a good thing. SInce you have time, check out amazon. Its a great place to bundle things you want . I find party city very confusing. There is surely a lot of variety but the aisles confuse me. Thats just me.

For food, pick out some food from you favorite restaurant and make some at home. Chips and a dip, or veggies and a dip, cut fruits - anything you can do before hand. Costco has some options like cookie dough. That makes around 100 cookies at home. Saves you time and money.

Return gifts, check out places like Kohls. With discount coupons and offers most gifts come in the range of 5- 10$ for kids under 5. For older children craft kits from walmart make great gifts.

Hope that helps!

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OP, please see my response in blue above. Also check out the below link for several great ideas:

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/b...g/246517-check-here-first-useful-threads.html

4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Rakhii.
    I went through the threads you have suggested. I liked your "My Daughters First Birthday Celebration! " thread nice description.

For kids above 2 i found some personalized coloring books. For less than 2 & expecting couples i am planning on giving them soft toys.

I still have to decide what would be best for couples with no kids.

5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations on reaching this milestone!
    A few suggestions:
    1. If I were you, I'd stay away from candies/ chocolates. Most parents won't give <2 yr olds any candies (but that's just my opinion). If you want to give something edible, I'd prefer crackers.
    2. You can find small, age appropriate toys at Target/ Walmart (rubber duckies/ little cars for 6 months-2yr etc; we gave sippy cups to all the kids under one year on my son's first birthday) for return gifts. For ages 3 and 6+ anything crafty would be great. You don't have to give return presents to adults unless you want to. Gourmet chocolates are always a good present for adults though.
    3. Cake- Go with your favorite.
    4. Again instead of cookies for kids, I'd do cottage cheese and cut fruits (since you are planning on cupcakes anyway), steamed veggies, yogurt cups and cheddar cheese bites.
    5. If you are planning a full meal for adults, you can either leave or have one/ two appetizers (hummus and chips/ veggies and dip/ fruits and dip)

6. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Nuss,
    1. There only 3 kids that are <2 and rest of them are between 2 to 5. So i think chocolates are fine for all. Cracker are also good idea. I add them to their goody bags.
    2. There are only 2 couples with no kids. I don't want them be left out with out a return bag. so was planning to give them.

3. Most of the BDay parties i attend here were in restaurants with Indian food, I found that kids were not enjoying that food much. So i would like to include few items for kids that they would love to eat.
    for now i am thinking chicken nuggets, cut fruits, cupcakes.
    Where can I buy cheddar cheese bites ?

7. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

Hello viki123,
    you havn't mentioned any date, i do not know if i am late to reply.

Here are few suggestions, let me know if it helps you.

1. Return Gifts: small story books can easily go with any age group, coloring books
    You can also buy bubble stick, kids really love to play with it

2. Decoration: do you have any theme in mind? Else you can choose any one/two colors and make the decoration like balloons, cake etc.

3. Cake: A cake with a big play ground and toys around.
    Another one Swimming pool with fish and duck

4. Food: your point is valid, kids dont like resto food.
    You can buy McCain's smiley fries, chips, which is easy to fry at home and less time consuming.

Happy First Birthday !