1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

18 month old and concerns regarding speech and pointing

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Applepie01, May 30, 2014.

1. Applepie01

Applepie01 Senior IL'ite

My son is 18 months and 3 weeks and i have few questions

1.he just says 5 words .i hace been reafing and talking with him a lot.the doctor told that he could be speech delayed but lets give more time say 3 months.

2.also regarding pointing he points with whole hand not with index finger.all i read on the internet is scary..he has good eye contact and communicates and.shows me his toys...

Also the doctor told me that delay in speech could also be due to something else but then he told that his license here requires him to tell the patients everything.but it doed not really mean something,.,all these things have got me really worried,.he plays peek a boo and all...i got him evaluated at 16 months but they felt nothing was wrong.it was.out of my oen interest..doctor did not suggedt..wat should i be doing now...

Thanks

2. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

OP,
    Don't worry, your son is fine. Give him time and he will be yapping and you will wish he shuts up.

Children are not tools who will come with an ON switch and to start functioning. Each child is different and unique, but there are lot of people in US with degrees who will love to get your money and business by telling how you child should be doing this or that.

Do the following:

Take him to India if you can.
    Stop reading the internet.
    Be happy and let him to be happy.

All your troubles will vanish!!

4 people like this.
  3. Merlyn11

Merlyn11 Bronze IL'ite

In my opinion there is nothing to worry at this time.As you have already evaluated him wait till 2years and see.He is saying atleast 5words .Mine started to say words words only after 22months.Now he says25words.I was also worried but all of a sudden he started to point out and talk..Read as much of toddler books and talk to him like an adult are only the ways to improve his vocabulary..I did let him watch rhymes in tv almost 30minsdaily. That how he learnt alphabets.And he knows tunes of many of them.You can teach him to do actions for songs like wheels on the bus also..Repeat words many times as he wants,that's the main thing to follow.Let him mingle with people especially kids of his age.Surely he is going to improve a lot within few months.Best wishes!

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. MahaB13

MahaB13 Gold IL'ite

OP, if the doctor thinks he is fine, then he must be okay. We tend to compare kids and start worrying if there is even a small difference in the growth pattern. Each and every kid is different. My brother started talking only at 3 years, and he is no way less than others. My friends daughter did not like talking and would just point to stuff. She now talks stories. Give it some time, and don't worry. Keep talking to the child, and if possible to the book reading and other interactive sessions at the library.

1 person likes this.
  5. Applepie01

Applepie01 Senior IL'ite

Thanks from mars and meryln for your replies...i worry a lot everytime...meryln can you suggest some videos...and rhymes wheels on the bus is my sons favourite

6. Merlyn11

Merlyn11 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Op,
    I tried to let him watch videos in YouTube like baby Einstein wordsworth 1+and Asl for babies and toddlers..Those are very interesting to him.There are many videos like those if you search.My lo knows actions for itsy bitsy spider and wheels on the bus.You can teach actions according to the song meaning .Check Chuchu tv in YouTube .They have rhymes which is colorful and so rhythmic .My son loves them.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

Hai Applepie,
    Most of the mothers including me are really concerned of all milestones! specially the speech! I did the same thing was really worried comparing each and everything he does ! believe me there where people around me asking not yet?? and my kid started when he was 3! Like from mars said children are unique! One vaccation trip to grandparents would change a lot,specially if your child has cousins! If one milestone is early one would be late!Stop worrying mother plays an important role in shaping child! If you be worrying all things you see on him would annoy you and later people around you annoy too much! this happened to me.My parents asked me to change 1st.Throw all confusions and enjoy his stage! now each hour he makes us laugh with wrong genders,verbs,tenses!

1 person likes this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

There is nothing wrong with your son.At 18 months a kid should be able to speak 5 to 10 words.Some kids are more advanced..thats all.

As for the other stuff you had mentioned I still feel there is absolutely nothing to worry about.By age 3 all should be fine else you need to worry.

good luck

chu chu tv is awesome..just wanted to mention :)

excellent advice frommars.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  9. evolving

evolving New IL'ite

My daughter is same age as your son. She delayed in crawling, not until 9 months. And i was worried as you are. But then this trip to niagara falls happened. And oh boy! She advanced so much after that. I stay at home with her, so she has less exposure to typical day care kids. So we have noticed, anytime we took a vaccation and explored a new place, she reached a milestone, like began to crawl or walk or talk like crazy.

Give it a shot. Go for a vaccation and I am sure you will see lot of changes.

Good luck!

10. evolving

evolving New IL'ite

As per pointing fingers and talking, i use to point finger and read out loud name of things on the living room mantle and she loved it. Gradually, i saw she pick up the same habit and began pointing at anything and everything. Maybe you are doing it already, yet wanted to throw it out there, just in case...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014