1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

17 month old meal ideas

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sujusmani, Jan 31, 2013.

1. sujusmani

sujusmani Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

I am new to this forum.. Hoping to find some dear fellow mom's to help me out..
    My daughter is 17 months.. She used to be a very good eater.. And loves the food we eat more... But she has only 8 teeth.. in the front...

For the past one week she lost interest in eating.. she sees me with food , she just runs off.. this prob is only with hr food.. while i eat, she sits along and enjoys eating...
    but am not sure if that wil suffice for her... more over she has only 8 teeth in front and so am worried as to how wil she eat our food... she nibbles wel on biscuits n snacks...

pls share some veg routines that i can follow... with variety.. bcoz i can clearly see she loves diff variety of food...

her current diet plan : pls suggest if its fine... am worried....

she wakes at 8...
    8.30 - Milk
    9.30 - breakfast - idiyapam/rice vermiceli with milk or powdered cornflakes with milk or idli with curd/sambar/rasam
    1 - lunch - dhal rice with veggies or rasam rice and curd rice
    4.30/5 - milk (sometimes)
    5.30 - cheese/butter sandwich / gerber 2nd foods (fruit pastes) / heinz biscuits mashed with milk
    7.30 - steamed apple
    9.30 - dinner - gerber oatmeal with milk

plzz help me with varieties tht i get my daughter have more veggies or fruits...

plzzz help...

suja

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

3. Khanaksmom

Khanaksmom Silver IL'ite

HI

This is common problem with children these days. They just don't want to eat food. I have 5 yrs old daughter. But I would like to share a few things that helped me.

1. Physical activity:
    Take them to open spaces or parks. Let them run, jump, play. After a good session of physical activity they really eat well and also sleep well. You might want to give their legs a good massage at the end of the day. This definitely works.

2. Get Innovative:
    Give them variety. May be a spinach or beetroot idli. Stuffed paranthas. Veg soup. Get creative and add more nutrition to your dishes. You wouldn't believe it but these tiny tots have a huge sense of taste. My daughter wouldn't even now doesn't eat the same thing even twice in a row. She wants some thing different everytime (Trust me when kids demand you love to cook for them).

3. Distract them:
    Maybe a story book or a picture book (avoid TV/ laptop) or even outside view should help!

And at times it pays to just stop chasing them. They will ask when they are hungry.
    Even we have a life and stamina right?
    I hope this helps.

Cheers
    Neha

4. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

About the same age my dd also lost interest in food.Then i changed her routine and introduced new finger foods.I gave her poori/paratha/baked french fries/muffins(made of whole wheat flour and veggies)/cut fruits/cut vegetables/cutlet etc.Basically all those foods which she can bite and eat.Maybe try this and check.

5. smile14

smile14 Gold IL'ite

This happens with kids...sometimes they eat good and sometimes they just stop eating anything and run away.....this time will also pass....dnt take much tension....but few tips which i try :
    1. Try changing your menu for kids...introduce some new taste and flavor is the key....
    2. Let them know abut benefits of eating good...like they will be powerful, nobody will be able to defeat them etc....tell them some innovative stories while eating....
    3. Introduce some food which they can take themselves....let them make a mess but this way they will generate interest in eating.....

Hope these will help you... :)