16.2 weeks pregnent - Severe back pain only in midnight

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Vasuma09, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Gals,

Am 16.2 weeks pregnent , having severe back pain only during midnight for 20 - 30 mins (only 3 days in a week).Pain is horrible:bonk .Can you gals tell me what should be the reason.

Should I goto GP or this is normal

Thanks in advance

2. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

Hi Vasuma,

I've experienced this as well at night times. It is common during pregnancy is what people have told me. I used to ask my hubby to apply moov cream on my back and massage for sometime which gives relief the whole night and then used to take warm bath in the morning. I was also asked to sleep on my left side and have a pillow to rest my back.

Touchwood, nowadays my back pain is a lot better. But whenever I get a backpain, I immediately apply moov,iodex or some muscular gels.You too try them.

Take Care
    Regards
    S

3. lvarada

lvarada Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vasuma,
    Does this pain occur only when you sleep on ur back? If so it may be due to the pressure of the uterus on the spinal cord. Not sure. Even I have only when lying on my back. When sleeping on the sides I don't feel this pain. Try prettywomen123's suggestion on applying any pain relieving gel.

4. hasini08

hasini08 Bronze IL'ite

@Vasuma,

Even i have this trouble of back pain at night mostly, which may be becasue we are sleeping only on the sides. As suggested you can keep a pillw on your back to support when you sleep on the sides. Also applying some pain balm and massaging will help a lot. You can also use a pillow in between your legs which also helps in reducing the pain.

@Ivarada,

I find from your ticker that you are 20 weeks, and during this time you are NOT supposed to sleep on your back at all. You should always sleep only on your sides, left side being more apt as that helps in child growth better.

5. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

Hi prettywoman, Ivarada & Hasini,

Thank you very much for all your suggestions, Will try some pain killing ointments and hot massage.

Gals, when should I start sleeping on left side.Currently most of the time am sleeping on my back as am not comfortable with sides, during day time while watching movies I completely rested on my back.Should I start sleeping on side from now onwards or after 20 weeks

Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Vasuma

6. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

hi vasuma :hiya

I was always comfortable sleeping on my back. But after my frist trimester, my GP advised me to sleep on my sides especially left side as blood flow is easier when slept on left side.I was so lazy to sleep on my sides at first trimester and always used to change positons. I am now 19 weeks and whenever I try to sleep on my back, I get some breathlessness and feel uneasy. I am so comfortable sleeping on my left side now.:)

My GP said at the end of trimester1 that even if I cant sleep sideways , but I should still change postions often and not always sleep on my back. Maybe try positions and see, then you will slowly start sleeping on sides.

Regards
    S

7. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

I sleep on my left side mostly and I feel comfortable. But I turn towards my husband side(right side) also sometimes. I have a problem. Meaning I always make turns when sleeping. IS it good or bad? But when I turn I dont turn as such, I get up a little and then turn to which side I want to sleep.

Sometimes, out of my knowledge I make fast moves or turns. Will this affect my baby or will it cause sudden jerk to my LO? Iam really worried about this part.

Also, when watching movies and all I sleep keeping my face towards skyand my back towards my bed(direction). IS it good?

8. anoop2007

anoop2007 New IL'ite

Dear Vasuma09,

When u r sitting for a long time u r putting more pressure on ur back.Lying on ur back is also not good.Try avoiding this .You can see the difference.Take care.God Bless You!

Regards,
    Anoop2007

9. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anoop2007,

Thanks for your reply, Will follow ur suggestions.:)

Take Care
    Vasuma

10. lvarada

lvarada Bronze IL'ite

Hasini,l don't sleep on my back. But as I had mentioned in another thread, I have burning sensation in my left thigh which makes it impossible for me to sleep on my left. I sleep only on my right side the whole night. but at times, I do lie on my ack for couple of mins to overcome the discomfort of sleeping in the same side the whole night. I don't feel refreshed in the nowadays. My next checkup is this coming monday so going to talk to the Dr about this burning sensation. Thanks for the concern.