10 most confusing tech jargons

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by vijayals, Jan 2, 2010.

1. vijayals

vijayals Senior IL'ite

1. One of the commonly used word which often confuses many users is Dongle. A Dongle is like a small USB drive that connects to a computer to run a software in a secured manner. It is used as a high-end form of security to prevent the unauthorised copying of software.

2. Cookie is another term which baffles people. Cookies are defined as small pieces of text stored on a computer's web browser. They basically store user's settings, shopping cart contents, or other data used by the websites.
    In simple terms, it is a message given to a Web browser by a Web server. The browser stores the message in a text file. The message is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.

3. Another common and confusing term is WAP. An abbreviation for Wireless Application Protocol, WAP allows users to access information via handheld wireless devices such as mobile phones, pagers, two-way radios, smartphones and communicators. In simple terms, its main use is to enable access to the Internet (HTTP) from a mobile phone or PDA.

WAP supports most wireless networks including CDPD, CDMA, GSM, PDC, PHS, TDMA, FLEX, ReFLEX, iDEN, TETRA, DECT, DataTAC, and Mobite. It also supports all major OSes.

4. A Telephone Plug or Phone Jack is a connector used to connect a telephone to the telephone wiring in a home or business, and then in turn to a local telephone network.

5. The Navi Key is a concept which significantly reduces the number of keys on the phone's keypad. Nokia was the first company to launch a handset featuring a Navi Key in the year 1997.

The user interface of the phone is designed to follow the intuitive logic of the user. The phones equipped with the Navi Key can perform most of the function by just pressing the Navi Key.

6. Another most confusing tech jargon is Time shifting. It is a process of recording and storing data for later viewing, listening, or reading. In television, time shifting can be done with a device called a personal video recorder (PVR) or a computer with a TV tuner card.

7. Digital television (DTV) is the sending and receiving of moving images and sound by discrete digital signals, in contrast to the analog signals used by analog TV.

8. Ethernet is the local area network (LAN) technology. The technology was originally developed by Xerox for the Palo Alto Research Center Aloha network and later developed further by Xerox, DEC and Intel.

The most commonly installed Ethernet systems are called 10BASE-T and provide transmission speeds up to 10 Mbps.

9. Another jargon that often stumps people is PC Suite. Wikipedia defines PC Suite as a software package used to establish an interface between Nokia mobile devices and computers that run Microsoft Windows operating system.

10. A Desktop computer is a personal computer that is designed to fit on top of a typical office or home desk. It is intended for regular use at a single location, as opposed to a mobile laptop or portable computer.

2. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

vijaya,

you are a google for tekky stuff on il.

Navi stands for Navigation right? You are a Navi for tekky stuff on il.

keep going.

3. madhurimas

madhurimas New IL'ite

Hi,
    Today ,I was just going through a magazine when I saw a term "GPS locator".The term itself sounded so interesting that i started searching more about it:spin.Though I got some information about it but I am not quite happy and satisfied with it.I don't have a lot of idea about the Navigation devices,but I came to know that they are really helpful in locating places ,people and our personal stuffs.Its really interesting to listen in various commercials that your mobiles can be retraced if it is lost,but we never care to get further details of how can it be done.Infact this GPS locator is the reason behind this retracing of the mobiles,etc.:bonk

Thanks.

4. ananthy

ananthy Senior IL'ite

hi Madhu

you must have seen movies (usually spy/police movies) where in order to track where the villain is going, the hero sticks a device to the villain's car. he usually describes it a "i am fitting a transformer to his vehicle so that we can track his location" etc. or some dialogue similar to that. then the hero shows us a screen where there is a red signal/light indicating the location where the villain's car is going.

well why i am saying this is because the same logic is used in GPS locator. GPS stands for Global positioning system. we know that the earth has latitude and longitudes and location of places on earth is described in terms of its latitude and longitude. so when a device like cell phone is fit (inbuilt) with a GPS locator then this GPS locator gives signal about the phone's position in terms of the latitude and longitude. so when such a phone gets stolen then immediately we can refer to the signals sent by the GPS locator and find where the phone is available on earth. of course it cannot tell who is carrying the cell phone but can track the location of the phone.

i hope you got the concept.

cheers.