1 gram jewellery shops in madurai?!!

Discussion in 'Madurai' started by AbhiSing, Mar 8, 2007.

1. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear all,

Are there any such shops in Madurai? In this week's Aval Vikatan, there came an article about this type of jewellery and the pictures were superb.
    Here in s'pore, we get silver ornaments gold plated and with precious stones. they cost around S$200 to 300. Is the 1gram jewellery mentioned is the same or different. Also one of my friends told me that there is also a trend now using jewels made of 'Aimpon"(5 metals) and they looked like gold yet less expensive.
    I want to know whether it is available in madurai. If so please provide me with the shop address.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards
    Vijee

2. Skinny

Skinny Guest

just wanted to tell you from my experience, 1 gram gold is nice and all but there is no resale value.Instead if you buy silver plated in gold stuff at least when you get bored you can get something back for the silver..this is what I was told by a jeweller!

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

The present trend in Chennai is learning to make jewellery- using many inexpensive items. There are even 3 people teaching this in Ambattur. They make and sell also. Many say that we can get these for cheap and buy matching or contrast to our dresses.
    But surely, there is no resale value in this. Silver jewels then plated gold, will not harm the skin and also resale value is there. But the cost may be higher, the price of silver is also going up.
    If you just want to use the jewels for special occasions and are not bothered about the resale etc. I feel you can go ahead with the costume jewellery. If you have daughter, that will be useful to her too.

4. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Thank you skinny,

for your views. Yes jewellers always think about resale value .

Regards
    Vijee

5. Mathangi

Mathangi New IL'ite

Vijee,

There is this shop called 'Porkudam' just opposite one of the towers of Meenakshi temple, I will find out which tower. This shop has 1gm jewellery and they are very nice. My mom had bought a bangle for me with a jhimki on it and it looked very nice.

-Mathangi

6. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Thanks Varloo,

For your kind info. I am not looking for resale value becos I am thinking of buying few pieces only. I dont have a daughter but I can always pass it to my younger cousins when I visit India.

Here in Spore many Indians including our Tamilians almost have quit wearing gold ornaments like necklaces,chains/bangles etc. They only use sterling silver/black pearls, platinum etc. So I stand out if I put the small necklaces, bangles,bracelets for parties or get togethers. silver ornaments with swarovski crystal are vere nice and not so expensive here (around S$100 ) but it does not go well with my 916 gold Thaali Chain. Thats why I am thinking of getting some costume jewels for that type of parties. Varloo please provide some address in chennai if possible.
    Thanks again.

Cheers:wave
    Vijee

7. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Thank You Mathangi,

Thanks for the shop name and if possible give the full address.

Welcome to IL.

Vijee

8. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Dear Viji,
    You start a nice thread,I am also looking to buy few pieces for me and my daughter in 1 gm gold jewels.

Dear Mathangi,
    Wel come to IL.Happy to see another Maduraivasi in IL.Can you give more details of that shop,if posssible?.

9. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Mohana

Nice to meet you in this thread after my looong absence.

My husband's friend visiting S'pore mentioned some thing about the 1 gram jewels and coincidentally the article appeared in Aval vikatan. So thot of asking in IL as i know for sure all will lend helping hands.
    Everytime I go to India, somehow I dont get time to do shopping in Chennai and finally missed buying the listed things and end up in Mustaffa here. so this time to be on the safer side i decided to finish all shopping in madurai. Our dear Chitvish has given the details about the textile world to explore and hope she sheds some light on this too.

Happy shopping!

Vijee

10. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

Dear Abhising and Mohana,
    There is a 1gm gold jeweelry shop very close to my house; I live in KK Nagar. It is on the KK Nagar 100' Road, next to the Madurai co-operative Supermarket, opposite to Arc the Bakery. I have seen some very good designs there. You might find something to your liking.
    savideva