1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

“Gitanjali”- My Most Priceless Possession!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anukarsha, Sep 20, 2010.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends!
    Just two days back, I went to see my aunt who was just back from hospital after a brief but critical spell of illness. I am quite attached to her. I went unassumingly to meet her so that she would feel good and I too would be satisfied once I see her in person. We were talking n all. My uncle, who is a very calm and quiet type of a personality, just went out of the room. And to my surprise returned with a book and told me in a calm tone that this is for me. I thought it might be some book he felt I would love to read. Oh my god! I started jumping to see that it was nothing but “Gitanjali” by our revered Rabindranath Tagore. I thanked him so much for that.
    It happened this way, that during summer vacations, my parents visited me. My uncle and aunt also came home to see them. I was showing my diary which contains my poems. My few of my poems are a bit spiritual kind too and my uncle being quite spiritual liked my poems very much. Then he asked me if I had read Gitanjali. And I said no! He told me that he’ll give it to me next time I visit him or he visits me. And yes, he did the same.
    Oh my God, it’s such a great possession anyone could ever have. I am feeling on top of the world and flaunting it everywhere. Thanks uncle. I love you for that. I wonder how he remembered handing over the book to me while he was going through a lot of emotional turmoil as far as my aunt’s health is concerned. Anyway. It was a great moment of my life and I’ll cherish it all my life. Thanks uncle for making me richer.
    Regs J

2. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    Many times I wanted to comment your post but used to carry away in thoughts.Its great to know you cherished the book given by your uncle.I had a book"I dare" by Kiran Bedi presented by my family friend.It felt immense strength after reading it.Good to know you too felt same way.
    [/JUSTIFY]

3. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

thanks dear ambika for your feedback.i request you to please send your valuable insights on my various posts.please feel free to do that.i value all the comments i get as they provide me another angle to ponder upon the subject with your point of view.thnaks once again.cheers-anu:)

4. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

I think I understand how you felt to receive the gift. My only problem with the English translation of the work is that it hardly matches the original. That's a problem with all translations I guess. You never get the exact flavour. Nonetheless, something is beter than nothing. Congratulations to you for good luck.

5. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

thanks oja uncle for your feedback n wishes.it's true that the original flavour is lost in any translation but i still feel atleast i got something.i don't understand bangla so for me it is nothing less the original creation.regs-anu:)