Migrating to Australia - resources and information

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by lahari, Nov 26, 2006.

Best gift for a new born and new mom

Poll closed Nov 19, 2010.
  1. Gift vouchers

66.7%
  2. Nappies for babies, flowers for mom

4.2%
  3. Clothing for new born, Bio-oil for stretch marks for mom

8.3%
  4. Baby name personalised photo frams, fleece, jacket

12.5%
  5. Pampering and Spa Gift vouchers for new mom to relax

8.3%
  6. Anything else please send on reply post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Re: Handy Info

Hi Surekha,

Happy to know that you got a score of 7.5 for IELTS!!!

I have applied for PR to Canada and right now preparing for IELTS, would like to have more info on the test.

Hope I am not bothering you too much........

2. priyasuresh11

priyasuresh11 Senior IL'ite

3. neev

neev New IL'ite

as long as the screwdrivers and other hardware is put into chk in bags there should not be a problem...
    basically food stuff should not be brought in...especially meat, veggies, fruit, seeds, milk products in any form (freeze dried or otherwise), Indian sweets etc. No form of wood (like trays or salad bowls etc). You can bring in small quantity of candy or a couple of packets of biscuits as long as they are sealed (again make sure it does not contain any nuts), personal medication is allowed like vitamins, eye drops, panadol, cough syrup and cold medicine...whatever you bring in to the country must be declared on your form...its a good idea to put all medicines n candy/choc into a clear plastic zip lock bag, so you can show it to them when you walk through customs.

Regarding the spiders, snakes and kangaroos on the roads...it all depends on the place you settle in...I have yet to see a snake or a kangaroo...but as long as you have a yard you will find small insects that manage to crawl in to the house at times...snakes may be found in large park areas, esp after dark...there are warning signs placed close to thick undergrowth. There are other marsupials like possum that one randomly finds on trees but they are nocturnal and again depends on areas.
    It is very unlike our cities, so do expect that...but there is no need to be frazzled by it..

Sun screens are very common here and you can buy big tubs of it off the local super market and there is a wide range to fit most budgets. Pressure cookers are a good idea..as are chapatti rolling boards and pins...but no worries again...there are Indian Grocery stores that sell it here...
    All hardware can be found in a warehouse called Bunnings...they are cheap and often a treasure trove for new comers who need stuff from buckets n mugs to mops n brooms and tools.

4. lesasue86

lesasue86 New IL'ite

Thanks guys for that information. Al these are enough to shift to new place. Thanks once again.

5. sunpriya

sunpriya New IL'ite

Finding jobs in Australia while staying in India

Hi Indus ladies,

After a long wait of 1.5 years we got a visa grant letter(VE175) last week.
    Feeling very happy.But the actual harwork starts now.
    We are planning to do our visa validation trip in the month of december.
    (visa validation trip-Go to Australia,stay for 2 to three days and come back.we get visa validation done in airport itself).

And after comming back from australia to India, me and my husband are planning to search for a job in Australia through internet(You know staying in Australia while looking for a job will be expensive-No job,No earnings:spin).

Can any one who has experienced the same situation please share your experiences in this regard.
    has any one done the same thing is is succesfull in doing it????Please share your experiences.
    Waiting for your valuable suggestions........

thanks in advance,
    sunpriya

6. Muskaan7

Muskaan7 Senior IL'ite

Re: Finding jobs in Australia while staying in India

Dear Sunpriya,

Congrats on getting your visa!

My husband got his PR and waited for a year in India before coming to Australia. He wanted to do a few more courses before coming here. During that time, he tried applying for jobs on the internet. But most of those companies, as soon as they realized he was not physically in Australia, rejected his applications or told him to come to Australia first and then they would arrange for interviews.

There are some companies which do conduct telephonic and video interviews but I am not sure if they do it internationally or just different states within Australia. You can try your hand but with the experience that my husband had, I am not very sure it will work. Maybe other Ilites will have a different opinion on this.

Just wondering, wont it be too expensive to fly all the way here just for two or three days???

7. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunpriya

What Muskaan has said is pretty much what happened to my hubby too. Although in my case I am talking quite a few years back, not sure if it has changed now. The companies prefer you to be here when you look for a job. My hubby was in Queensland initially and was applying for jobs in Melbourne and Sydney from there. Even at that point, the response he got was " if you were in Melbourne/Sydney, we would call you for an interview!".

I hope things work out easily for you. Good luck and Welcome!

8. priyasuresh11

priyasuresh11 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Ya it is true.They will expect you to be here to apply for a job.So that they can contact you thru' phone and ask you to come and meet them in person.
    We all have crossed that state.

You should be mentally as well financially prepared to migrate to Australia.If you have relatives it is well and good.

We had a tough time initially.So prepare yourself.We too have visited Australia for an initial entry purpose.Can't help it.

Wishing you good luck in your migration plan.:thumbsup

9. eyesha

eyesha New IL'ite

Re: Searching for my friend - Sonal from Aurangabad

699 views and no reply... :(

well ...no worries i got in touch with her afterall...

10. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

Re: Indian beauty parlors in melbourne

Hi Pratim and Precious,
    Sorry for barging in your thread,but I dint know how to contact you guys since Im unable to locate the other thread.How have u guys been doing.?