1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

flu even after taking flu shot?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by skalluri, Nov 14, 2009.

1. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

I am suffereing with flu symptoms like cold, cough, fever, body aches. I have taken flu shot in sept. I am thinking if the flu attacks after taking flu shot, the severity will be less, but I am suffering really. its 2nd day, tomorrow if it is not reducing I have to go to dr.

what are your experiences. can we get severe flu again after taking flu shot?

Sujatha.

2. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Sujatha, hope you feel better soon!

I have two thoughts/possibilities:
    1. You may not have the flu, just severe cold (flu onset is sudden and symptoms are much more severe than a common cold)

2. You may have the flu but the strain you caught was not a close match to the one you were vaccinated against (Look at the question Can I get seasonal flu even though I get a flu vaccine at CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: Seasonal Flu Vaccine)

If you think you have the flu, chances may be #2.

I religiously take the flu shot every year. Haven't had the flu after I take the shots.

3. santasekar

santasekar Senior IL'ite

Hi
    My son had flu last year even after getting the flu shot . Even we had the same question . Our pediatrician said that it is possible as flu could be caused by four types of viruses and that the shot covers only 3 of them . So if the 4th type is prevelant then there are chances that we might get flu . Hope this helps .

Wishes for your speedy recovery .

Regards
    Santasekar

4. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Dear Sujatha,

My understanding about this Flu-shot is .... it desn't prevent yu from getting a Flu. But if u get it , will help in healing faster. This was told my son's Ped.

Hope u feel better, Do take lots of fluid and take care

vaidehi

5. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Thank you pavarun, santasekar, vaidehi for your inputs. I am taking rest at home by drinking lots of water, pepper water, jerra, ginger boiled water. I am gettinig better.

Sujatha.

6. srvaug

srvaug Senior IL'ite

Sujatha,
    Yes you can be effected by Flu even with the flu shot. After having 3 kids I totally lost my immunity and every year even though I get a flu shot, I get it *sigh* But the good thing is you heal much faster.
    Hope you feel better.
    PS : You have a pm. :thumbsup

7. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Hey Sujatha,

Hope you feel better.

The flu vaccine is NOT the same every year, it changes based on the strain out there. So it is not possible for you to lose your immunity to it by getting shots every year. The vaccine only protects you from the particular you strain you get the shot for and there are multiple different strains out there, so chances are that you probably got exposed to some other strain which is less virulent compared to the shot you recieved.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  8. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Thank you Srvug and MrsV,

I am feeling normal today, it is not just "sigh", I had real flu for 3 days, that is strange to me, as MrsV told it could be different strain in the air which I didn't get in flut shot.

so.. this way I am gaining some knowledge. :) thanks for all your support.

sujatha.