1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Applying for passport/visa for a Newborn in US ?

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by Padmash, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

New born's passport & visa

hi,

many of u have delivered ur baby abroad. can anyone please tell what to do for the new born's visa and passport. do we have to inform indian embassy before delivery of baby or we have to take step after baby is delivered. please share ur experience.

bye
    padma

1 person likes this.

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: new born's passport&visa

Hi Padma,
    I think the procedures might be different in each country.
    In US, as soon as the baby is born, in the hospital we need to name the baby and fill out the birth certificate form. THen we need to apply for Social security # for the baby. After few days we need to collect the Birth certificate from the town hall. These two are must. Later you will apply passport thru post office.
    The kid will the the citizen of that country and will get that country's passport.
    In case if you are traveling to India, then you will apply for visa thru Indian consulate.
    Please check with some people over china.

~Punitha

3. dheepu81

dheepu81 New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I'm planning to go to India, 3 months after my delivery, can anyone explain, how to obtain Indian Visa for the baby, me and my husband have Indian passport.

Does any one know about dual citizenship.....i heard abt it from some friend....but not in detail.........hope some ladies would have some experience on this........

plz post ur suggestions

Regards
    Dheepa

4. rshilpa

rshilpa New IL'ite

hi dheepa
    Congratulations on ur baby!!

after ur baby is born n named, the hospital applies for ur baby's birth certificate n SSN, when u receive them apply for the US passport thru postoffice, it takes abt 3 to 4 months for general processing n 15 days for premium proccesing, once u get the passport apply for POI (Person of India Origin) card thru Indian Embassy, it takes 3 to 6 weeks for processing. this POI card is valid for 15years. You have to carry both POI n US passport when u visit India.

iam not sure if ur hospital applies for SSN n passport, for my son the hospital has applied, please check with ur hospital.

regards
    shilpa

5. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Puni,
    thanks for response . here in china after delivery we have to report at police stn and give name for baby to get visa, now i came to know about this through secretary, but china govt will not give baby a citizenship of china. let's see what happens.

bye
    padma

6. Srida

Srida New IL'ite

My daughter is a US citizen and she has a valid PIO card. We sent her to India after she was 1 yr old. She is now 2 yrs and 2 minths. Now we want her to bring to USA. But, I heard that if PIO card member stays in India more than 180 days then they have to register at local SP office. Is it true? If I had to do it now what will be procedure? does immigration officer check this registration when she comes to US? Pls help me. Has anyone been in this situation before then pls share your experience?? I would appreciate your help.

7. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Re: Urgent!!!- PIO card registration

Hi Srida,

Did you get your PIO card issue resolved? Did you call up the Indian Consulate and ask them?

One thing - how long did it take you to get the PIO card done for your daughter? I'm planning to get one for my baby and it would help to have some idea...

Thanks,
    Aarushi

8. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hope you the problem solved Srida.

Aarushi, getting PIO card is much easier here.. We sent all documents to Chicago consulate and got back in 3 weeks.

HTH!

:)

9. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Selvi!!:)

10. PIO card registration

Hello ILadies,

My daughter has a PIO card and she is in India right now. Can you please tell me what is the procedure about the registration at local police station.
    Her US passport is expiring this year. Can we get it renewed while she is in India? Have anybody gone thro' this kid of situation.

Thanks
    Arun