Schools in chennai

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by jothi, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

2. Ums

Ums Senior IL'ite

Priya,

I understand the school is excellent academics and strictly follows and promotes the values and our culture. But just curious to know about the sporting activities as well. I have not visited the school but when I have a look from outside, it does not seem to have any large playground. All I could witness is a small open area behind the school.
    Your inputs on this as well would be helpful.
    Thanks for all your patient responses :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
  3. Swave

Swave New IL'ite

For Parents relocating to Chennai from US and interested in CBSE Schools... especially if you are planning to join the kids in 1st grade. ...

Teach them CURSIVE. In US they start learning cursive only in 3rd or 4th grade. But the Kids here are expected to write in cursive not just the class work but also test etc., Atleast two schools where my daughter interviewed for ist grade where asking this as a requirement.

Swave

4. DivineVictory

DivineVictory New IL'ite

Hello Friends,

Thanks for such wonderful posts, its really helpful. A little about my kids - have a 6 year old daughter who is in 1st grade here and son who will turn 5 in october and goes to montessori school. I brought a lot of cursive writing books and my neices UKG and 1st grade text and note books with me a couple of years back to teach my children. My daughter has learnt to write sentences in cursive, my son is writing words in cursive. I am also teaching them hindi and they know the alphabets, numbers upto 20, colors, shapes, meanings, opposites and more.

The reason for the above update about my children is we are planning to move to chennai begining of next year (if god wishes) and your posts have helped me narrow down a few schools.

We talked to our in-laws and they prefer Schram also but were also leaning towards Chettinad Vidhyashram but said getting admission is difficult there, would like to know why?

If any of you have more update on Chettinad Vidhyashram, their admission process, fee structure, I will appreciate your help.

Also I have read a lot about Arsha Vidhya Mandir, where is this school located? If any of your kids are in that school, please help.

Once again thanks for everyones input and hope to meet some of you when we are there.

Divya

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Divya,

Schram academy and chettinad vidyashram are way too far off to be compared with the distance.

CV is a higher end school. you do get admission depending on how much you can pay for it.

you can check out hareshri vidyalaya that has become a very good school for us returned kids it is also in R.A.Puram.

arsha vidya mandir is in velachery, even here the admissions are difficult. use the search tab for arsha and you can find one or two ilites giving their inputs from personal experience.

6. monasenthil

monasenthil New IL'ite

Hi to all,
    This is mona from Appleton(US), i plan to come india by this november, iam looking for my son LKG admission for next june 2010, he is completing 3 year by this nov 5th 2009. iam looking for CBSE schools in & around velachery.i heard some schools like ..

St.Britto Academy,
    Bala vidhya mandir,

can any one tell me when is St.Britto Academy schools admission starts......... and also other cbse schools admissions..

And also ....is there any possibilities are there that i can put him Prekg this november....

actually iam from coimbatore, iam new to chennai city,please anyone can help me..

Thanks.

7. anithamoorthy

anithamoorthy New IL'ite

Hi Divya,

we are planning to move to India in 2010 too and thinking about Schram academy too, but i do have some idea about chettinad vidyashram, It's a good school, very good infrastructure and organized , good teaching, good for working moms as they provide good breakfast and lunch ( extra fees), but as everyone thinks it not a very expensive school, it costs about 17k -20kper annum(std 1-5) (excluding donation which depends) as far as my knowledge goes. Hope it was of any help,
    thanks
    Anitha.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
  8. DivineVictory

DivineVictory New IL'ite

Thanks Anitha,

Chettinaad Vidhyashram is going to be way too far to commute but my husband thinks its better than Schram and if needed we could rent close to that area, my concern is the student teacher ratio as I found out from my in-laws is almost 55 students in a class, would you know about that? I have heard very good things about CV and would like to enroll them there, its just the transportation but then again my husband has a good point because when compared academically with Schram, I think CV is a good choice.

Thanks again for the info on CV, are you considering that school or is Schram the only option?

Take Care
    Divya

9. monasenthil

monasenthil New IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,
    This is Mohana Senthilkumar(mona) from US, can u help me that when is St.Britto Academy school , L.K.G admission starts for 2010.i think ur kids r studying in that school.

Thanks.

10. anithamoorthy

anithamoorthy New IL'ite

Hi Divya,

Regarding CV's class strength you are right, they do have higher class about 55 is right, but that's almost the case in many schools including St.Johns Besant nagar etc., we are not considering CV 'cause it's way too far from our place and may i know why do u say Cv is a better than Schram in terms of academics, if there is a reason please let me know, thanks.

Anitha.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">