1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many are wearing Thali/Mangalsutra ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mlk2009, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Kelly

Kelly New IL'ite

:):) I actually wear my Mangalsutra everyday and even to work, my one is a small chain and not everybody can see it at work. I was lucky as my in laws asked what style I liked. So I asked for a small one - I knew that my inlaws didnt have much money so the samll one would have been better.

Plus some times in western country you cant wear big gold chain and I fear some thief will attack me. I also just weat one red bangle - sometimes haivng too many bangles is annoying.

2. PetiteFashionB

PetiteFashionB Senior IL'ite

I dont wear mine eaither...except wedding ring..since its very light and small.

But my MIL would kill me if she sees me like this.
    I have to stay cladded in all these while i stay with them and ..she inspects me every morning /evening ..when i come down to her and starts shouting when i forget something...(as i remove while sleeping in my room)
    " .....so many times i have told you ,its important to wear toe-rings in our side...hehehee"

I keep it in my purse when travelling to visit them and put on before their house comes.
    and as soon as i come out of their house, i took them off and put it back in my purse.

3. QUINCY

QUINCY New IL'ite

I do wear thali, methi and not bindi to work as I have to go in metro and people stare at me and I'm fed up answering them about bindhi. For safety purpose I don't wear bindi. As soon as I go home I wear bindi. I'm not uncomfortable wearing thali and I don't like ladies who don't wear thali for fashion. Here in US nobody cares about what other people wears only we'll be cautious what other people thinks. Sometimes I forget to wear thali when my DH removes it on the previous day night as it is very sharp and even scratches sometimes. I will feel guilty if I don't wear thali.

4. desigir

desigir Junior IL'ite

I have never liked anything heavy around my neck and so I don't wear Thali, it is in my locker and I never wear it. Also the methi poke me so don't wear them either.

I do wear small black bead chain when I go to the temple or when in India.

I do not feel that it is necessary for me to wear thali and meti to show love for my husband, also when nothing changes for the man before or after marriage then why should it for the woman. I have many friends who wear the Thali and meti all the time and that is their choice and this is mine.

1 person likes this.
  5. nn23

nn23 New IL'ite

I used to wear the thali daily. ours is a small leaf-shape thali (mallu) so I really love it. However, since I've had a baby, I'm pretty much without any jewellery- first I was worried it might hurt him accidentally, but now, he gets distracted and yanks on the chain. I still try to put it when I go to work, but its just inconvenient to remember to put & remove.

6. mrudula

mrudula Senior IL'ite

hmmm I see many people arent wearing it now a days. all my cousins, friends, and many relatives are not keen about wearing it. even i dont wear it, both while in US and when I go to India. i wear it only occassionally. i, instead wear a very thin black beads chain and i dont do it for fashion. It is very uncomfortable and it is always safe to wear less gold. but i always used to wear when i go to IL's house. but not anymore. i didnt wear it the last time i went to india. they didnt mention about that at all. anyway, I am not going to do it for what others think. even my two SILs doesnt wear it.

mrudula

7. sailingboat

sailingboat Senior IL'ite

I recently stopped wearing my mangalsutra, but i do wear it when i go to india.

8. gayatri310

gayatri310 New IL'ite

I do wear it everyday till now.I have removed them only during security checkin while travelling to US since they insist on them else its on me all the time.Not that my husband minds about it I dont feel it as inconvenient.I am used to wearing bindi and chain from long back I cannot see my face without them leave abt being married or not.

rest its all a matter of interest and priority I guess.

gayatri

9. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

I am a MALE:

With the above statement, is it not a surprise that I ALWAYS(except on the day of my father's death day in the year for Shradha Kharma, by the advise of the Pundit) wear the Gold Chain(with the God's pendant) that was put around by my wife in our wedding.
    I feel like its some sentimental, feel like she is with me always :) You may call it as a stupid practice, but I like it.

BTW, the surprise is that my wife wont wear the Thaali, it will be catching dust in the shelf almost all the times(except going to some temple etc) ). I like her to wear it, told few times, but she didnt care, I gave up.

I like beauty of the femininity in a woman, looking her with a Thaali, toe rings, in Bindi(preferably with Saree, but modern dress is also nice), give a dignified feel of the womanhood in her.(strictly personal opinion).

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

That is strange.Who insists on removing the chain during security check-up? Neither in India nor in the U.S they insist on that.I have travelled with my thaali at all times and I did not face this problem.