1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Which is best Lawnmower ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Grace3, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

There are different types of lawn mowers, the manual push type - those that run on gas - the electric mowers - the automatic ones. Which one is better ? Any particular brand to choose ?
    Please suggest.

2. sujatha81

sujatha81 New IL'ite

We have a Black and Decker Electric mower that works really well for us since we have a small lot that is fairly even. I would definitely recommend the electric mower, if your lot is not very big. Otherwise, it would be best to go for a gas powered mower. Good Luck!

3. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Hello, Grace ;)

I second Sujatha's great advice. We have a Black and Decker cordless mower as well. It is quiet, kind to the environment (no gas), requires none of the maintenance associated with gas-powered mowers, and recharges easily. It is a bit heavy because of the battery, so I leave the mowing to my husband (not a bad thing!). He loves it so much that he bought a cordless edger/trimmer as well. I think the electric mowers are slightly more expensive than the gas mowers, but for us, the convenience was worth it. Maybe others can weigh in with the advantages of gas-powered mowers and the other options you mentioned.

4. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Dear Sujatha,

Thanks very much for your response :).
    Had given up hope anybody would answer even ..
    No our lot is not very big, but were hesitating to go for gas powered one 'cos not sure how to clean it after use. The electric one, doesn't need much cleaning, does it ? And what about power consumption ?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  5. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Dear Ansuya,

Very nice ( surprised too..) to see you here :biggrin2:.
    We were also mulling the maintenance part only of these 2 types.
    My hubby is also eyeing the manual push-mowers 'cos he feels it is least cumbersome to operate & also good exercise . Plus unlike the powered ones, it leaves the cut-grass on the lawn itself right, which we have to pick up ...:spin

We're chewing & chewing on this :rotfl , not able to decide ..

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I feel I have spent my life mowing grass.

Grace they are giving you good info but I will only expand. For the electric they are fine for small lots and the corded ones are cheaper and lighter than the battery ones. I have an ancient one in the garage that was my parents and it still cuts fine.

Push mowers are also good for small lots but get a really good one or you will curse it. Some of the really good ones have a grass catcher.

For medium lots you can do the gas powered but I would highly getting a self propelled one.

For big lots you can get a riding mower. Some have attachments for snow blowers or leaf/grass sweepers. I use this as my lot is larger and has a step grade in areas.

The thought of lawn mowing as exercise is great but after two or three summers you views will probably change. My two cents. Go for quick and efficient.

7. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for sharing your experience & recommendations Tina .

Friends,

I'm also leaning towards the cordless, electric one. But DH insists on the manual pushing one only .. i think the salesguy has been very persuasive !
    He has said that the electric ones only tear the grass, it is the pushmowers that actually cut them properly .

Yeah, now he says he will handle it, but I know after the first 2 jobs, it is going to have to be me who is pushing it ...:bonk

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Grace:
    Be sure to spend enough on the push one. One thing with that is don't let the grass get too long or its a lot harder to use. For small lots they are fine. Also be sure to brush wet grass clippings off it after use and store it where its dry to the blades stay sharp and don't rust. You can also have the blades sharpened or sharpen them yourself.

9. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Oh yes Tina, this one my husband is keen on costs more than the electric one. Plus the blades need sharpening only once a year, that too for first 2 yrs. or something, I think they do it for you .. not clear on this offer. Past weekend the frost has set in, so tooooooo windy to even step outside :spin. Planning to rent one this weekend, let's see how it goes.