Food Menu During Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by vinitha, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Jayani

Jayani New IL'ite

Re: manage food during preg for ladies staying abroad

Hi Amul & Archana,

Congrats on your pregnancy...I am in my last trimester and my due date is October 15th. Since beginning of my pregnancy I am on controlled diet and by God's Grace didn't face any problems.....Only in the first trimester for couple of weeks I threw up and thats it..... My diet is from morning till 12noon I am on fruits (apple, banana, any watery fruit and one citric fruit) between 12 - 12:30 I eat salad, then lunch (rice and curry/dal/kadi) after that I give 2 hrs. gap, then either will eat fruit or vegetable juice, then at around 4:00 - 4:30pm I eat nuts (almonds/walnuts/pistas/cashews) at 6:00pm I eat salad again and depending on how hungry I am I eat dinner either at 6:30 or 7:00pm and before I go to bed at around 9:00-9:30pm I eat one more fruit.....hhhh...this is my diet for weekdays and on weekends i freakout on any junk food like chat/dosas/chinese without ajinomoto/mexican/italian.....I being vegetarian and vegan has to follow this so that my child is not deprived of any vitamins/healthy diet.....It is time consuming to pack everyday all the stuff to work but my DH does the packing for me and he keeps a close eye on wheather I am eating everything right or not.....This is my first baby hence i am trying to be as good as possible...:)
    Believe in yourself, keep positive attitude, be cheerful, keep smiling,stay away from worries and enjoy your pregnancy...I think this is the mantra which we need to follow all the time...what's say??

2. milkky72

milkky72 Guest

Re: Check Here : Tips to a healthy diet during Pregnancy

What are foods must to be avoided for getting pergnat.eg: like pineapple ,papaya ..

3. nehalvp

nehalvp New IL'ite

Re: Check Here : Tips to a healthy diet during Pregnancy

hey frendz

hi, m new on this board......and expecting by 7 months....i found many useful tips on diet from u guys.......thanx to alll....frankly untill now i wasnt actually following any kind food steadily....used to consume as when someone guided or any personal urge to eat........dint exactly know wat to eat when....... bt here u guys hve really guided well....m surely gonna follllow theese.....
    thanx again

CHEERS!!!!!!

4. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

importance of drinking milk..

Hi all,

i have heard almost every one say that 'drinking milk' is VERY important for a pregnant mother. however, the reasons have been all different - for fair baby, for healthy mother, for calcium, for strength, etc..

im in my 7th month now and frankly speaking my intake of milk is definitely not HIGH. as in, for calcium intake - i take curd, cheese and doctor has given me the shelcal500 tab. but my milk intake is abt 1 glass a day only. reason is i CANT STAND the smell and taste of it and feel like vomiting whenever i drink it. but i force myself out of fear/guilt as everyone tells milk is essential...

Im also a lil worried now if i shud hv more. though i hate it. but if ppl scare me i might hv to force myself to drink it. so can someone pls tell me by their PERSONAL EXPERIENCE? meaning i am looking for advice MAINLY FROM PPL WHO DID NOT HAVE/HAD LESS milk during their pregnancy.

pls give ur right/accurate feedback and baby results pls...

5. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

Re: importance of drinking milk..

Hi,

I had the same problem during pregnancy. I used to vomit if i drink milk.

It's necessary to have calcium-rich foods. So I used to drink curd, cheese, orange juice etc.
    Also milk ( 1 glass per day). I used to close my nose at that time.:rotfl..

I didn't face any problems during delivery..

God has blessed me with a healthy baby (3.9kg - birth weight) n he is 14 months now.. cute n active..

Be happy

Love,
    Ansu

6. Meharnisa

Meharnisa Silver IL'ite

very nice
    thanks for sharing!!!!!!!

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i hv been having only a glass a day... and its just fine...combine that with curd, buttermilk and cheese intake n my Ca supplements. the only valid reason to take calcium rich food dur8ing pregnancy is the decreasing level of it on our body due to the growing fetus. any particular food makes baby fair/dark? this is just plain hilarious!it wont affect the skin color...
    i think your calcium intake is just fine:thumbsup

8. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Jhalli

I'm like you - I can't stand the taste and smell of plain milk. I never drank a single glass of plain milk my entire pregnancy. Occasionally, I'd have a glass of 2% chocolate milk (but only when I felt like it). I eat a lot of cheese, and a lot of curd, and took regular prenatal vitamins (no extra calcium supplements). Like others have said, as long as you are getting a good amount of calcium from other sources, you should be fine. I don't think that there's any need to drink milk specifically, especially if you hate it, and I understand how you feel about that! I had no health problems during or after my pregnancy, and my daughter was born perfect and healthy at 3.23 kg and is growing well now.

You shouldn't be forcing yourself to do anything out of fear or guilt, and you especially shouldn't give too much credence to what every Tom, Dick, and Harry says (especially all the self-proclaimed experts with their mish-mash of different reasons). Talk to your doctor or midwife, and ask if you can substitute other foods in place of milk to get your calcium and other vitamins and nutrients. Milk is not an irreplaceable food, especially in this day and age when we understand more about the science of nutrition. Here is a link that will help you to calculate whether you are getting enough calcium with your supplements/food:

http://www.pregnancy.org/question/can-i-get-too-much-calcium-during-pregnancy

Enjoy your pregnancy!
    The other Ansu

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  9. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Thanks everyone for the inputs. Even i was in a similar fix. I just have a glass of milk in the morning with my cereal. But recently I have increased my intake of curd. But my mom keeps telling me to have that second glass in the nite which i cant. Since yesterday i even started taking the calcium supplements suggested by my gyn.
    But seeing all ur replies I feel confident now.

-Priya

10. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

thanks to all u ladies out there.. it really got me worried.
    thing is my MIL gets angry if she knows that im not hvng 'enuf' milk. and by chance if DH is around, he gets all worked up telling me ' u r gonna hurt the baby' or 'baby wont grow properly'... (MIL and DH are the most insecure and scared ppl i hv come across in life). thats when i feel a 'twinge of guilt somewhere down in heart'. but honestly, it doesnt last long. coz i cant be scared of everything everyone says... i hv faith in God and i know im not eating 'poorly'... i dread when all the 'old-wives tale' start from MIL.. telling what happened in 'their time'. i hv nothing against MIL, but i would not like it even if my mum bugged me so much!

in such cases, i dont hv a choice and i end up lying. i feel bad abt lying, but cant help it. all ur replies there hv really given me so much of peace, i cant express. somehow its always easier taking advice from women who have 'been there done that' .. :) thanks once again to all those who replied :)))